Swim-specific strength training

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
Does anyone do strength training specifically tailored to improve their swimming or know of a good regime?? How many times do you do weights each week and do you split it from swimming days?

Replies

• needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I did for a year but end up with lack of technique in swimming
    I lost m balance and bouyancy in the water.
    swimming need loos muscle with less density and some fat
    weiths increase your density and dercrease bouyancy.
  • Jamie_55
    Jamie_55 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    should you do strength training PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure you get the rotator cuff muscles. From experience it's not fun when they get torn from overuse and under strengthening. It's not fun getting cortisone shots in your shoulder bursa and it's super not fun getting it stuck in your shoulder using a spinal needle.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    When I took swim classes growing up they always had us do calisthenics beforehand.. lots of jumping jacks and windmills.

These days I still do the windmills as a side part of my weight training program, but I strengthen the legs with squats instead of jumping jacks, which avoids impact on my touchy knees.

I notice great results when I'm getting in my weight bearing and walking every day along with some lap swimming and other water exercise classes I take on occasion.

Sometimes I do weights and swimming the same day, sometimes not. I try to do my weights workout and/or walk 3 miles at least 5 days a week.. but I only swim usually 3 days a week at most. Some of that is due to the drivetime getting to the pool though.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I swim 5 days a week and weight train for 3 of those. If you aren't already weight training, then I would suggest just doing a whole body program for 6 months to a year. Don't worry too much about a swim specific workout. Talk to one of the trainers at the Gym and get them to work out a routine for you. Then start lifting a couple times a week :smokin:
  • firedenswife2012
    firedenswife2012 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I swim daily. Twice a week I do weights in the pool. My gym has water weights and I just kick my legs and swim while pressing the weights as if I were out of the water with my arms. It seems to really work. This morning one guy was using weights under his legs while doing freestyle swimming. He says it helps his legs to get stronger. Just ideas...
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Basically any weight lifting helps. Swimming uses all the major muscle groups.
    Lifting heavy adds strength while swimming builds endurance.
    My son got a kick out of how hard my pecs are now. :bigsmile: And it isn't easy to impress a 17 year old.
    I prefer free weights to machines. They use the stabilizing muscles more and I get a better workout.
    I only use machines for exercises I can't do with free weights.

RDLs are great for the core and back in particular.
    Lat pulls and raises are good for the mid and upper back and shoulders.

If you have personal trainers at your gym, they are worth the money to get a routine kick started.