Slave or Free?

Options
On my walk the other morning, I thought about freedom. I was praising God that I was free from gluttony, and sloth. I was happy to be free from those sins. Then I remembered a verse in the Bible where Paul talks about being a "slave to righteousness" and I realized that we all serve someone. None of us is a free agent. We either serve Satan or God. We are slaves to our own passions and weaknesses or we are a slave to God's righteousness. One master leads us to destruction and death, the other to holiness and life everlasting. Choose this day, whom do you serve?

Replies

• catinohio
    catinohio Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring post.
    It was only recently that I acknowledged /named my eating transgressions/lack of exercise for what they were, "gluttony" & "sloth".
    I pray for the Spirit to guide me in choosing what I eat, but Thank you for reminding me to praise God for releasing me from the bondage of these sins.
  • jackysue
    jackysue Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I knew I was in gluttony, but didnt realize sloth, but I can see where that is true. When I overeat too much, I just want to sleep and watch tv. Thank you for posting this, I will talk to God about this.
  • shelleyspots
    Options
    I think sometimes we don't want to admit that overeating is a sin. We call it a weakness or an addiction, which it is, but it is a sin too. I think the realization of how ugly that sin is, helped me to push it away and gain victory. I still slip sometimes! But praise God, it is not a habit now. God wants us to have victory in this area because we can glorify him in this way. Defeated by food, we glorify no one.
  • quinntendo
    quinntendo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes we don't want to admit that overeating is a sin. We call it a weakness or an addiction, which it is, but it is a sin too. I think the realization of how ugly that sin is, helped me to push it away and gain victory. I still slip sometimes! But praise God, it is not a habit now. God wants us to have victory in this area because we can glorify him in this way. Defeated by food, we glorify no one.

This is so true! We don't acknowledge our addictions as sinful. It wasn't until I started to study the bible, was baptized (a month ago), and became a disciple that I really had the realization that my addiction to food was, to an extent, out of my control- but it is not out of God's. Through prayer and meditation, I have found the motivation I need to continue my journey. I have also realized that in exercising self-control and having the discipline to eat well and work out, I am glorifying God. It's more than just treating my body as a temple, it is just flat out following God's law.