basic home muscle building

Options
demilade
demilade Posts: 402 Member
I have never exercised in all my 37 years so I basically have no idea what im doing. The information out there is a bit confusing to me so I need some very simple and basic help.

I have lost 27 kilos in the last few months and about 3 kg of that has been muscle. Now that im a bit lighter and a bit fitter I really need to start some muscle building work to help tone and tighten my saggy bits and to get more weight moving.

Currently I walk the dog each day for about 30 mins and I restarted 30 day shred this morning.

What I want to know is, should I just stick to 30 day shred for now or is there something else I can do to build my muscles (I have to say I am hurting a bit). I have 2.5 kg hand weights and right now thats all I will have, I cant afford gym membership or more equipment. Any routine I do has to be fairly quick as its done in nap time, my toddler is an enthusiastic participant in anything I do and she does get in the way :)

Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am going to be posting a 'strength training thread' in the next few days that will be giving some suggestions for routines for at-home workouts as well as giving some other basic information (such as summaries and links to the more popular programs that require more equipment).

It is a pretty common request in the forums where people do not have access to a gym and do not have the resources/space for much equipment.

This is a good reminder that I need to get working on that.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    oooh - as a home gym person, can't wait! (though I did get my squat cage and weights for the holidays!)

I love 30DS as well - good high intensity workout - I know my HR gets up to about 150 when I push it!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    oooh - as a home gym person, can't wait! (though I did get my squat cage and weights for the holidays!)

I love 30DS as well - good high intensity workout - I know my HR gets up to about 150 when I push it!

<
    jelly!
  • demilade
    Options
    I will keep batteling with the evil Jillian then till you post your thread. Do you think I need more than 30 day shred or just stick to that for a while, say 30 days......
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I will keep batteling with the evil Jillian then till you post your thread. Do you think I need more than 30 day shred or just stick to that for a while, say 30 days......

I would stick to that for the month.
  • demilade
    Options
    ok thanks :)
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to your thread! I want to start weightlifting at home in the new year.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options
    i am looking forward to this one too
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My question is do you really want to build muscle or do you want muscles showing, aka cut fat. If you actually want to build new muscle mass you will need to eat in a calorie surplus as well as have a strength training program that will enable muscle growth. This means you will need to lift heavy. You will need to lift more than 5 pound weights. There are weight training programs you can do at home and many are free and found on YouTube. If you do not have a weight set you can buy some resistance bands for fairly cheap.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Can resistance bands serve for heavy lifting? I figured using resistance bands was more like using 5-pound weights.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Can resistance bands serve for heavy lifting? I figured using resistance bands was more like using 5-pound weights.

If you buy the right bands it can. My highest band is 100 lbs of resistance and it can be modified to provide more than that.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Bump for Saruk's thread post!

I'd love to build muscle too. I'm in that group where I'm still fat enough to lose fat and add muscle (lucky me?), and I'm doing the 30 day shred plus just started adding the elliptical. I'm on the 20th day and have not lost weight, but I know I haven't been eating enough either, so that's probably where I'm failing.

Can't wait to read the muscle building thread!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My question is do you really want to build muscle or do you want muscles showing, aka cut fat. If you actually want to build new muscle mass you will need to eat in a calorie surplus as well as have a strength training program that will enable muscle growth. This means you will need to lift heavy. You will need to lift more than 5 pound weights. There are weight training programs you can do at home and many are free and found on YouTube. If you do not have a weight set you can buy some resistance bands for fairly cheap.

I bolded this as it's a very important distinction people need to make. There is a big difference between building new muscle tissue and showing/exposing the muscle you already have.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I bolded this as it's a very important distinction people need to make. There is a big difference between building new muscle tissue and showing/exposing the muscle you already have.

Correct, and I'd also add that in both cases, resistance training is still recommended and generally, the time to do it is now =)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm also anxious to see your thread.

To the OP: Two words... planks and push-ups.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    aw man, i'm so glad i came across this! i can't wait to see it! I am not joined up to a gym & don't have much equipment at home.... hopefully there are some ways for me to get by without spending too much since i'm also pretty broke...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Ermegherd....I really need to finish it up and post it from the looks of it?
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Ermegherd....I really need to finish it up and post it from the looks of it?

Yep ;)