How would you feel if your kid's teacher said

Options
dbtman
dbtman Posts: 19 Member
How would you feel if your kid's teacher said to you that your kid is "really wearing on my patience, but luckily I have a lot of it." I was appalled to hear that, but I don't know if I am overreacting or not. Would love some opinions!

Replies

• whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    How would you feel if your kid's teacher said to you that your kid is "really wearing on my patience, but luckily I have a lot of it." I was appalled to hear that, but I don't know if I am overreacting or not. Would love some opinions!

i dont have children but have alot of experiance with them....................lets just say id be frickin pissed....thats the teachers job to have patience and kindness and not make comments that are somewhat rude to the parent.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I would find out why. Then based on the reason, I would determine how I would feel. Sure, the delivery of the message isn't the best approach, but what is the underlying reason for it?
  • alisiaendris
    alisiaendris Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I would find out why. Then based on the reason, I would determine how I would feel. Sure, the delivery of the message isn't the best approach, but what is the underlying reason for it?

^^^This^^^
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I would laugh... because it was probably meant at least halfway in jest and I would completely understand where she was coming from when it comes to my children.

I definitely think you're overreacting.
  • dbtman
    dbtman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses and I am hoping that it was said in jest. I do know that my son can be a bit overwhelming at times, but this isn't the first time she has said something like this to me. At the parent-teacher conference she was telling me how she leaves special instructions for the sub to on how to deal with the "trouble kids" - of which my son is included. She has also told me that my son is always the one who is causing the trouble and will not listen to rules.'

Like I said, I know that my son can be a bit overwhelming, but he is not always bad. I have never got complaints like this from any other teacher. I guess it's just a bad combination. As a teacher myself, I know that sometimes you just have bad chemistry with a student, but I would never speak negatively to a parent about their child.

Thanks again for the responses.
  • forgetmenotcj
    forgetmenotcj Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have two boys of my own and there is nothing worse than working 8 hours at my job and going to pick my kids up, who I miss terribly, and have the teacher complain about having to be with my child. My oldest has a main teacher who he absolutely adores, he's in pre-k. There is an evening person in there on days I pick up late and EVERYTIME I pick him up from her, she tells me how he doesn't listen, he's horrible, he's a brat, etc. I have talked to his main teacher and she says she has NO CLUE what this teacher is talking about. Needless to say, I guess one teacher just doesn't like my son (urrgggg).

I am a teacher as well (1st grade) and I would never say anything like that to a parent.
  • mrg68
    mrg68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it. I don't think you are over reacting. Over reacting would be running to the principal or something. Venting on a separate message board for advice is not over reacting. I am a mother of three boys and a teacher of special Ed students. There is always a student that tries my patience but if I did have to convey that message to a parent, I would choose my words carefully and be professional about it. All teachers should be professional even when they are communicating their frustrations or trying to be funny. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if her lack of professionalism continues, I'd consider discussing it with her. It would only be the right thing to do before you did go to her principal next. She needs to know that some of her comments are offensive.
  • erinmaryz
    erinmaryz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Does she have kids herself? Before I had my "mama-bear" instincts I could have seen me saying something like this. But now I see the importance of "tip-toeing". Just try to keep in mind how you feel when your son is "being a handful" then multiply it by at least 3 because I'm sure he's not the only handful in the classroom and imagine dealing with that for 7 hours straight and throw 15 other unique personalities in the mix. Try not to take it too personal, being a teacher is hard work and for every 1 student there are at least 3 adults expecting perfection.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I would feel offended. That's my heart talking. Then I'd come home and process it, try to give her the benefit of the doubt and think, "well maybe she's trying to tell me something" maybe he's acting up a lot and it's something she thinks I should know about. Then when the emotions died down I'd realize she's a professional who supposedly went to school for this, and since I'm not allowed to blurt out my emotions to my "customers, clients, patients, or otherwise" she also should be held to the same standard. She should be grown up and trained enough and educated enough to know that if there's something she needs to talk to me about, she should ask me for a meeting, have solid examples and good appropriate solutions that are befitting of a person of her supposed stature in society, not befitting a catty schoolgirl, or in-law.

So be pissed, but when the dust settles get a meeting with her, take a notepad and ask her calmly if there's anything the matter, or anything she wants to tell you. Show her how it SHOULD be done.
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Wow. Having worked in a daycare for several years while I was in college, I can't believe she didn't choose her words better. First off what child doesn't try your patience every now and again? Second she should be making you feel comfortable leaving your child with her and letting you know how much she cares for all the children in her class instead of making it seem like they wear her out.

That said I'm sure she didn't mean it offensively. I once called a little boy "rotten" in front of his mother in a totally joking way. He was being silly and I looked at him and stated "your so rotten" and his mom totally blew off the handle and asked me why I would call her child rotten. I never assumed she would take it badly or assume that I meant it in any capacity aside from affectionately. She probably just meant he had been having a rough day and would have been better off stating it that way.
  • loopylass1986
    loopylass1986 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    my lord id be pissed off and head straight to the headmaster thats really out of order.... my daughter (5) she tell her teacher to man up n shake it off but she speaks her mind and get her in trouble but i do tell her to think but her teavher finds it funny he never had an out spoken student before...