Introduction

Options
Hi, was diagnosed with type 2 about 5 years ago. Have always struggled with my weight and am a classic apple. Family members from both maternal and paternal had members with the same thing. It skipped my mother but got my aunt and myself. Re educating my daughter and will keep my grandson healthy. Taking metphormin SR, Ramapril 5mg and Victoza which I must say has been a godsend. No nasty side effects luckily and wow what an appetite suppressant needless to say not eating even half what I used to and therefor bg is amazing.

Replies

• alisonjj
    Options
    I have had type 2 for 12 years. I have primary lymphoedema as well and this has not helped in my battle with weight. I am 86lbs lighter than my heaviest weight but I have gained and lost and gained the same 10-20lbs for the last couple of years ever since I went onto gliclizide. I am in the UK.
  • bgmeuth
    bgmeuth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :sad: Have had type 2 for 2 years
    blood work has been all crazy lately........too much pottasium..not enough vitamin d......not sure anymore what to eat
    ! Walking like crazy trying to lose a few pounds ....nothing seems to be working....Started on Lantus about a month ago and take 2 glipizide everyday no longer taking metformin due to kidney damage..sounds like a lot of problems to me!
  • broodmom
    Options
    Hi, I'm 65, diagnosed with Type 2 about 12 years ago, controlled by diet the first year. I tend to go to the doctor for a few years then drop out for a few years. Now my regular doctor has moved and I'm with a new doctor, who isn't as sympathetic to not showing up, which is good. At first I weighed 205 lb and lost 40 lb., then over the years gained back only 10 lb. And I've been on meds off and on the last 8 years or so. Now I'm on Metformin and Glyburide for the last month and a half, and my sugars are good. Metformin gives me no problem at all, but the Glyburide seems to cause blurriness every time my sugar changes. Anyone have the same problem? Doctor says that's OK, and I have a followup with her next week, but it's really interfering with focusing while shopping, and I'm reluctant to do much driving.

Anyway, the diabetic nutritionist put me on the same carb measuring diet that I was on 12 years ago that worked so well for me, and I lost about 8 pounds total. I discovered this program to help me with carb measuring, and it really helps me a lot, but I don't seem to be losing any more weight the last few weeks, even though my calories are only 1500-1800 a day (dietitian said 1500) and I eat mostly high fiber carbs, very little candy, and no donuts.
  • Nikkismission
    Nikkismission Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Great job.... I"m trying to ween myself off of the victoza and see if I actually have control of my portions so that I don't have to take meds all my life. I go back to the doctor next month
  • Tinapopo
    Tinapopo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    HI iam 47 and diabetic to so :smile:
  • shryjedi
    shryjedi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 43 and have been diabetic since I got pregnant 9 years ago. I too have high potassium and have had low Vitamin D in the past, but I got the Vitamin D under control. I have the beginning stages of kidney disease. Both my parents have diabetes and I lost my Dad to kidney disease 5 yrs ago. I also have neuropathy in my legs and have retinopathy in my eyes. I have high blood pressure too... hmmm... what else?
    I have spent the past 9 years trying to raise my son who was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (finally!) and I have a husband that has a traumatic brain injury. I have put them first always- my doctor told me over and over that if I didn't stop doing that I would be gone. I decided this year I would listen...
    I live in Kansas and the Governor has declared a Weight Challenge, I am on one of 5 teams in my job. I have been doing better, but the past three days I have really screwed up. Now that this Weight Challenge has begun I have to get serious again.
    I use a "fitbit" and it is a constant reminder to me that I am at least doing something.
    My neuropathy medication has run out and it is the kind that is delivered to your door. I am waiting patiently for it, because other wise I am so stiff and sore and uncomfortable. It is like I am the tin man in the Wizard of Oz, and I can't get my oil. Moving is just plain hard until I get those meds.
    Glad I found this group!!! Let's all motivate each other!!!! I want to get off my 5 shots a day, metformin and go on the Vi-Go patch, but I have to get my insulin shots levels down- by eating less carbs and doing more exercise. I know I will never be off all of my medications due to the damage that has already been done. Trust me- if I could go back and change the past 9 years I would! But this is what I have today- and so I am taking it one day at a time....
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hi! I don't think there is any one of us that wishes they couldn't go back and do things differently....me included. Sometimes I wish someone had smacked me in the head 5 years ago.

I was diagnosed with T2 in May of 2011 while in the hospital for an unrelated illness. For the first year, I was kinda in denial. Then, last May I hit bottom...I was disgusted with myself, scared of what the diabetes might do to me and I finally decided I had to change things. In the beginning, I was on Amaryl and Metformin. I was able to get my weight and my bs down far enough that the Dr. took me off the Amaryl. I still take the Met but mainly for weight loss purposes. I figure I will be off that by the time I reach my goal weight.

I dont have all the medical problems you do, but all the physical discomfort I had when I was heavier has nearly disappeared. I feel so much better and I am no longer in the obese catagory....and fast leaving the overweight catagory as well. It CAN be done. Even if you cant be totally off your meds, they can probably be reduced with a healthy weight and diet. Good luck with your program!
  • kc_froglady
    Options
    Hello I am newly diagnosed this week with Type 2 Diabetes.I am a 42 yr old married with one grown daughter. All of us struggle with weight issues and my mother and grandfather were diabetic so the dx wasn't actually surprising to me that doesn't mean that I wasn't ANGRY, PISSED OFF -(Why is this happening to me) and a few other emotions.

I was put on Metformin and asked to check my blood glucose first thing every AM. After getting my test strips and testing the last 2 AM's I find extremely high readings 162 and 192. I don't feel bad that I realize but some friends who also have diabetes say WHAT? My guess is that is has been out of whack so long I don't know I am feeling bad because to me that is the normal everyday feeling :( How long dose it take for the Metformin to kick in? It seems the side effects kicked in IMMEDIATELY if you know what I am talking about LOL!

I have no clue on how to do meal planning around the carbs so I am anxiously awaiting a meeting with the dietician to start learning and have more control over this.

The best advice I have heard so far is to remember I didn't choose diabetes it is not my fault, it choose me.
  • hugsee
    hugsee Posts: 36
    Options
    yes its not known as metfartin for nothing....I didnt get along with metfartin so dsn put my on slow release and no more um you know side effects lol
  • PSS33884
    PSS33884 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I have been diabetic since 2003. I progressed from diet controlled to Metformin. However, due to severe sensitivity to Sulfa drugs, could not tolerate it. So then I was placed on Actos. Did relatively well, but then they added Lantus. I joined Weight Watchers and lost about 25lbs and was able to get off both.

In 2011, I lost my job due to my daughter being in the hospital. My stress tends to cause my blood sugars to go up and I went into DKA. So now I am strictly on insulin. I take 100u Lantus every day. I also take Apidra. Up until a week ago, I was on a sliding scale. Last week the doctor changed it. I know have to take 1u of Apidra for every 2g of carbs I am going to eat.

I am finding out that I don't want to eat the carbs when I find out how much Apidra I will have to take. I try to keep a meal under 40g. Sometimes much less. Hoping this helps with weight loss too.