Daily (I hope) motivation

2»

Replies

• gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Okay all you MFP-ers! Listen up! There is only one more week of this major holiday stuff. Even people who don’t practice the Christian faith are often subjected to the frosted cookies, pies, candies, and many more calorie laden goodies. It’s everywhere! Then we head straight into the New Year’s celebrations with eggnog and the alcoholic beverages. I believe the whole idea of New Year’s resolutions came about as a means of making a commitment to undo the effects of what happens to us for the month or two prior to the new year. How many times have YOU made a New Year’s resolution and then failed to keep it? Most people don’t keep them. My challenge to you is to NOT make one this year. Besides, didn’t you already make a resolution when you first committed to change your eating and exercise habits to be more healthy and fit?

If you don’t believe me, think back to when you first joined MFP. Didn’t you think something along the lines of, “Well, this tool will help keep me on track this time”? To help you remember, go to your profile page and read what you wrote for your goals, you inspirations, and the rest of it. If you haven’t filled that out yet, do it now. Read it often and change it to keep up with the changes you are making along the way. If you don’t want others to see it, just make it private. Your profile page is for you to use. If you really don’t want to put that info in MFP, write it down somewhere. Read it and update it at least once a month.

You who need cuddles, just check out how far you’ve come already. Even if it isn’t in weight lost, maybe it’s in your improved attitude and a few little changes that will soon add up. Maybe it’s just cutting back on something you’re trying to eliminate from your diet. Give yourself a hug for every single improvement.

You who need rah-rahs, make sure you recognize the changes and fist pump the little ones with double fist pumps for the big ones. Write down the changes you’ve made so far. Like Santa, make a list and check it twice. Successful people build on their successes, and they recognize those successes. So make your list and use it. Give yourself gold stars as you earn them. Don’t let yourself down just because you may not be getting recognition from others. Give yourself the recognition!

You who need swift kicks, look specifically for things you fully intended to do but haven’t yet done. Now, get up and start on one of those! Did you intend to increase your water? Go NOW and drink some! You brain remembers you promising that to yourself and every time you don’t do it, your brain registers a “fail” on your part. Whether you consciously think about it or not, that “fail” is still there in your mind. You need to overwrite those “fails” with SUCCESS! Might as well start now or let those “fails” continue to kick you over and over again. Those self administered swift kicks hurt the worst. So stop failing at the little things already!
  • gerripho
    Negative! Negative! Negative! Why are you so negative? And why are you so negative toward yourself? You get all bent out of shape if someone else says something to you that may be meant as a compliment but you hear a negative connotation that the person never even meant. They compliment your weight loss and you resent it because you thing they are making a back handed statement about how overweight you had been. Arrrrrrgh! You don’t like that and yet you feel perfectly free to think negative thoughts about yourself. Truthfully now, how silly is that!?!?!?!

What negative thoughts about yourself are running around in your head? Go ahead and write them down somewhere. Think of two or three major ones. Now, you have to get to work on this project. For each negative, write three things that are positive and uplifting.

Example: Negative thought is, “I am fat!” Positive thoughts are, “That may be true but I’m working toward a healthier me; I’m setting reasonable goals and doing something every day toward those goals; I’m going about this in a healthy and sustainable way.”

If you’re having trouble thinking of positive thoughts, ask someone near and dear to you for a bit of help. You may be surprised to see how others are more forgiving of your shortcomings than you are.

It really doesn’t matter if you need cuddles, rah-rahs, or a swift kick today. All of us need to improve our self image. Remember, too, it doesn’t depend as much on your physical appearance as on your loving, giving, joyful approach to life. Be positive for just one day. Positive that you can become whatever you want and can be happy in the process of getting there.
  • freasabreze
    freasabreze Posts: 97 Member
    Good advice Gerri.
  • gerripho
    The occasional party, holiday, or other social event is NOT cheating. Cheating is trying to get from A to B using an illegal shortcut. Cheating is doing something to give you an undo advantage. It's like starting a game of Monopoly with a few extra bills up your sleeve to be pulled out when no one else is watching.

Think of days like those where you are partying with friends as nothing more than a slice of real life. Please don't even think that you can't go a bit over on eating for a few special occasions. You're developing a new life style and you will never convince me that you want a life style where you can never ever again splurge a bit on the calories, especially since food is such a major element of socializing. Even healthy people pig out occasionally when it is part of their social life. The difference between healthy people and those of us who aren't so healthy is healthy people splurge every once in a while and we splurged all the time.

Forgive yourself for the occasional party, get back to your healthier eating, and pat yourself on the back for eating like a healthy person.
  • freasabreze
    freasabreze Posts: 97 Member
    Amen!
  • gerripho
    Good morning! While browsing the forums a few days ago, I found a profile from MFP member southcarolinaguy. He was kind enough to give me permission to post a paragraph from his profile page. That paragraph follows:

"Motivation: When I started the process of going from fat to fit, I thought I would be a success when I attained my goal weight. The problem with that was, success was far into the future and it meant I wasn't successful today. It's hard to be motivated day-to-day by a goal that is far away. Then I realized that I can only control today, and if I do things right *today*, the ultimate goal will come along. So I simply redefined success this way: On any day when I eat and exercise within my goals, I AM a success right now. Tomorrow, next week, next month, next year will get here soon enough, but we can only live them one day at a time. You may be 100 pounds or more overweight but you can be a success your first day if you make and achieve a daily goal. If you mess up one day, failure is isolated to that one day. You can be successful again the very next day."

Thank you, southcarolinaguy!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Thank you, southcarolinaguy!
    Thank you!
  • gerripho
    Saturday, December 22, and I'm pretty much spent on new ideas for daily motivation. I'm hoping some of you members of the group will add a line or two -- maybe your favorite motivational quote or a comment on what has motivated you. I'm going to take a few days of vacation from this column and try to get back my motivation to write more after the holidays.

Take care, everyone,
    Gerri
  • knight76306
    knight76306 Posts: 260 Member
    Thought for the day:

The extent to which YOU take responsibility over something is the extent to which YOU take control over it.

It's time for me to take responsiblity and stop make excuses! Back at it!
  • shoppingdiva2011
    shoppingdiva2011 Posts: 127 Member
    I keep all my exercise DVDs in the front room near the DVD player along with hand weights. This helps that way it is convenient but its just doing it. I have been good all week and exercised each night. I have also lost 1.1 lbs. I have been drinking alot of water each day. I just discovered the liquid drink mixes to put in water like MIO. Crystal Light is very good I am trying strawberry lemonade. Good luck everyone:wink: