Needing advice for keeping track!

Options
I have a few questions about keeping track of my food intake. I'm starting the paleo diet on January 1st. I'm currently taking in 1200 calories a day.

Do I need to make any adjustments to my numbers of calories I eat or should I just keep it the same??

Anyone have any advice/tips about what to eat when you go out to a restaurant??

I'm new to this so bare with me :wink: I appreciate any advice you want to give me as well!!! Thank you!!

Replies

• MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Lots of opinions on this one. I tracked my calories - but didn't "eat" to them. I simply ate until I was satiated. I never stopped eating because of a calorie number. I found I averaged 1200 after exercise calories - but would sometimes be 800 when I did extra hard workouts. I didn't lose muscle, I didn't enter "starvation" mode, I didn't sacrifice nutrition.

I did watch carbs and ensure I ate enough protein. I completely ignored fats. So I tracked but looks at my grams of p & c but not actual calories.

Think protein and veggies first and you should do quite well.
    Look everywhere for hidden sugar. You will do best to simply eat things that don't have nutritional labels.
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I eat Primal and track my calories. I am only 5'2" - given my age, height, and mostly sedentary job - MFP has my calories set at 1200 - my TDEE at approximately 1690. I have kept my calorie goal at 1200 per day given how low my TDEE is, but if I am hungry, I don't stress about going over. I find that as long as I am eating Primal and not taking in excessive amounts of carbs (ie. - sweet potatoes, etc) it's ok if I go a little over 1200 - I usually still lose. Typically though, I am full much quicker than before I started eating Primal and I find that by the time I hit 1200 calories I am usually stuffed and don't want or need anything else to eat. That's the great thing about eating Paleo/Primal - the food is healthy and satiating - don't need to eat as much to feel full or reach macros for the day!
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Mfp sets mine at 1200 too. I manually reset that and my macros. I set mine at 1500. I don't worry much about it though. I just don't like the way it feels to complete my food entry for the day and get a message I went over. If Mfp didn't try to make me feel bad with their conventional wisdom I wouldn't even pay attention to it most likely. Carbs seem to make the most difference I think.
  • alwilson22
    Options
    What is TDEE??

Is there a big difference in Primal and Paleo? Which is better for you?
  • tracy1344
    tracy1344 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I reset my macros, but left the calories at 1200. I don't really pay calories any attention. Sometimes I'm over, sometimes I'm not. It's my macro's that I monitor.
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE??

Is there a big difference in Primal and Paleo? Which is better for you?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure

This is the amount of calories my body supposedly burns throughout the day based upon my age, height, current weight, desk job, etc. The choice between Primal and Paleo is a personal one - usually the most notable difference is in the view point on saturated fats and dairy, although there are some other differences pertaining to artificial sweeteners, etc. Paleo - no dairy. Primal - full fat dairy is okay (like grass fed butter, whole creams and milks, etc.) Maybe check out the following link to help you decide what will work for you -

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whats-the-difference-between-primal-and-paleo/#axzz2GHt9cYo5although
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Stick with a salad veggies and meat while out to eat ( eat something before so you aren't tempted).

I don't track my cals but if you are starting out definitely . Continue to use the mfp guidelines and make adjustments as you go. You may initially crave an increase in cals. Welcome to the group!
  • amandavanvels
    amandavanvels Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    for those of you only keeping track of fat/protein/carbs, do you find it effects weight loss at all if you go over your daily calories, but stay within your f/p/c limits?

i'm trying to stay under 50g of carbs a day and around 130g of protein and around 100g of fat, but i'm having a hard time reaching the protein without going over in calories (currently trying to stay around 1700)

i wouldn't mind going over 1700 calories, but i'm having such a hard time losing weight already that i'm just curious at what you do
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I set my calories (2100) on MFP for my desired weight. I am not a big fan of calorie deficit so I am not real concerned with calories, plus I’m always full with less than that. I eat Primal. I have my Macros set at 57% fat (133 grams), 35% protein (184 Grams) and 8% carbs (42 grams), although I try to stay lower on carbs if I can. Also, I didn’t enter any exercise into MFP because I don’t believe in “eating” your exercise calories.

When I go out, I might have an appetizer of fresh shrimp. I try to have salmon or steak/prime rib with steamed veggies (if they serve it with other dishes you can ask for it). I have them hold any starches or sauces made with flour. I do not eat the bread, not have soup or salad. If I have Mexican, I’ll order the sizzling fajitas, but have them hold the tortillas, rice, sour cream and beans, eating only the meat and hot veggies. Also, I don’t eat the chips.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    my favorite treat when we eat out is a bacon cheeseburger (obviously I do dairy) :) I just order extra lettuce, remove the bun and wrap it in the lettuce, obviously you could do this with a grilled chicken sandwich too. I'll get a salad or sweet potato fries (if offered, and if I've been doing good that day) with it. Totally scratches that burger itch! Salads can be tough because of the dressings, but if you don't eat out much the little splurge may be worth it to you. I find most restaurants are very accomodating to my little tweaks :)