The Hobbit

Options
DrJanet98
DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
Okay, no one has started one on this yet....what did everyone think of The Hobbit? Did you see it in 2D or 3D? Did the 48fps seem weird? Did you like the new info from the Appendices or did you think it was padded and slow? Or had you never read the book?

Replies

• Taimarra
    Options
    Haven't seen it .. I had a date night scheduled with my bf to go, but he was violently ill and we opted to stay home and snuggle so he could show me that sharing is caring and pass on the Mongolian Body Rot to me.

Regardless, I have read the book - ages ago. It was the only one in the series I could get through. The rest just moved far too slowly for me. We'll be going to see it in 2D and NOT with the high frame rate. I've had too many friends come back saying that the faster frame rate made it look like an old 80's VHS tape, and some had it induce migraines.
  • gse313
    gse313 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    have not seen it yet, and probably won't until DVD....life keeps getting in the way of the fun stuff... But here is my question, if the increased FPS is inducing migranes (which the wife is prone to) could it not also not trigger seisures in those with epilepsy?
  • Taimarra
    Options
    I suppose it's possible, but from what I understand it wasn't like .. flashy flashy, but maybe it'd be seizure inducing.

I know that the theater we're going to has the 3D high frame rate as well as the standard digital showing. Thankfully there is one 21+ living room theater showing it standard.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'm going to see it this weekend...can't freakin' wait! We're going in 2D...3D movies drive me nuts.
  • MarthaAnn8186
    MarthaAnn8186 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I wanted to see The Hobbit standard, but ended up seeing it in 3D. It was actually beautiful in 3D. Sometimes it was a little sappy, but I really enjoyed the movie. In fact I want to see it again in 3D. But that is just me.
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Saw it in regular D. My husband has epilepsy and I have migraine issues - both of us came out w/o issue, LOL. Didn't even THINK of that. I loved it, but everyone but me knew it was in multiple parts, so at the end I was all like WTF? Where's the rest? And everyone is all , cooool. I felt dumb. My oppinion, more singing!
  • a_moondragon
    Options
    I saw it, and was a little meh about it. Mostly because I liked the lighter tone of the book vs the Lord of the Rings. I had a hard time with working it to be so similar to the LotR movies stylistically. It makes perfect sense to my brain why they did that, and I wanted to like it, but I don't. That said, they seemed to have done a wonderful job with what they did. As far as frame rate, I had no idea it was any different. The look of the film was quite nice, though I'm getting really sick of sweeping camera shots. It felt like the camera never stopped moving.

Anyway, everyone I know that liked the LotR movies really enjoyed it so far (myself excluded, naturally).

Edit: I saw it in 2D, I should add.
  • goody2shews
    goody2shews Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I seen it at the IMAX 3D theater. First, let me say I hate 3D and haven't gone until the Hobbit since I was 9 years old.

I read the book after I watched all of the LOTR. I was completely swept away the entire movie. I almost started squeeling when I heard Golem in the shadows. The movie was meant for 3D and was worth every penny.

I am thrilled that it is being broken into three movies. With Buffy gone, Merlin gone, and Doctor Who never coming on it is all I got! :'(
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I saw it in standard 2D, pretty sure it was the regular frame rate too (old cinema). I enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

It's been many, MANY years since I read the book,... but I seem to remember the scene with Gollum being more prominent in the book?
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I saw it the week it came out, and appreciated that despite the prosthetics, a lot of those guys remained really nice to look at : )
    I hated that there were a million kids under 10 in the theatre, though. Seriously, not a movie for little kids, people! My 7 yr old would have perseverated on some of those scenes for months.