So walking it is....

Options
First I would like to say that I admire all of you and your strength. My pain is not near what most of you go through every day, yet you stay positive and try to exercise when your body allows. My level of positivity has slowly been dwindling as the days go on. How do you stay positive when you know you will hurt tomorrow, and the next day, and the next? I also get frustrated, and MAD. Why can't my body do what it used to, what I want it to be able to do? It makes me upset. Plus, I'm a very stubborn person and try to do what I think I should be able to, only hurting myself of course!:tongue: (like Saturday I made a few dozen cookies, some candy, and pretzel rods, plus appetizers for a party) I've found that walking is the only exercise that I can do anymore without hurting myself more. I've been going to physical therapy twice a week and by doing so have learned that alot of my pain comes from "rib dysfunction". Apparently my ribs don't like to be where they are supposed to be and pop out. My ligaments are too loose or not strong enough to hold them in? Makes no sense to me. He pops them back into place and they come back out( I believe by the end of the day). I have an appointment at the pain clinic Thursday so I will have to see what she has to say......Lots of rambling from me I guess. I hope everyone is doing well:smile:

Replies

• Runner_5
    Runner_5 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    So walking it is...

Yeah - it's crap.

I went from running a 5k at least 3 mornings a week and cross training with George St-Pierre's RushFit program to - 1.5 mile walk in the morning and 1.5 mile walk in the afternoon coupled with light stretching in between and after.

Mine is, briefly, a messy, crooked, degenerative spinal spinal condition that just hurts all the time and everywhere.

I am not my pain, I am not my spine; but these things happen... So...
    It's a huge blow to the personality isn't it? Maybe an ego hit? Maybe a pride hit? Who knows?

I often don't like to get caught up in the associating with my ego or, even, my history, my story, my past...

But why does this suck?

How do we make it do the opposite? You know, how do we make this - not - suck?

I suppose it's like kicking a bad habit in reverse.

What I mean is - a person may drink alcohol to numb an emotional pain they suffer and, accordingly, the alcohol's function can then be said to be "to minimize a specific pain" and if it is working, if it actually is numbing that pain, then the function of this behavior is, so to speak, totally functional and to the drinker it needs not be replaced.

But - to change it - you'd need to find a replacement behavior that fulfills the same need as the alcohol. Something healthier; therapy, writing, yoga, etc. etc. etc. until you find one that works.

The reverse now is - I'm faced with having to figure out what purpose the behavior of running/RushFit is serving. What need is it fulfilling? How is it functional?

Like my old friend Cigarettes, how can I find a replacement behavior for it's purpose?

Currently - walking does just suck. But - I try and make it pretty as possible. The Japanese term, "wabi-sabi," comes to mind, it is defined as, “a way of living that focuses on finding beauty within the imperfections of life and accepting peacefully the natural cycle of growth and decay.”

My lack of functioning do to my pain needs a little bit of this wabi-sabi attitude change I think...

Or I just have to find friends that know how to support me too. MFP.com is a great support network.

I found me a great running/struggle-support partner by total chance in the first 2 weeks of being here.

Sorry about the ramble. I hope you're feeling better.
  • swfloridagal
    Options
    Good morning Jason. Imagine my delight upon waking up in pain and stiffness this morning and finding a new friend request in MFP inbox! Wow. And I thought I was going to spend the morning alone and in pain. What a delightful surprise and lift to my spirit to see that somebody wrote to me and said they were thinking of me. WOW... what a lovely gift and I thank you!

I read your post with keen interest. In fact I found myself nodding long and making sounds like "humph" and "hummmmm" which are indications that I'm letting in "essence" of what you had to say. I'm so happy you let yourself feel free to write your questions and "ramblings" as you called them so we can understand you and then you would feel a connection. Well, I suppose you felt free until the end when you apolojized for speaking your truth.... which of course, isn't necessary at all.

I could talk with you about all that you have brought up for hours and maybe even days because I wake up in pain and limitation in my life every day for 20 years or more. i used to think I was the exception to the "rule" when I'm learning more and more that I am more like everybody else. HUH? (I could see you scratching your head).

What I mean is, I've learned that EVERYBODY has some kind of limitation in their life. Everybody has a desire or a dream or a wish to do, be or try something that they want but are limited in some way. It could be they are limited by intelligence, finances, geography, dexterity, flexibility, strength, courage, stamina, physical ability, fear or some other limiting factor.in their lives. The limits can be self imposed or imposed outside themselves.

The other thing I've learned is that everybody who is currently abled bodied are in reality, "TAB's". Temporarily Able Bodied.... because in time, they are going to lose some function whether its organ related, limb related, joint related, teeth related, hearing, eyes.... you name it...... they are temporarily enjoying all the abilities of their bodies but they too will learn, as we have, that they're bodies will limit them in some way or another somewhere down the road.

On another note and then I'll stop.........
    You wonder if this is an ego hit........ I certainly have grappled with that myself. My pain took away my career, finances, aspirations for a dream in my career, relationships, self identify.... you betcha it was a hit! I have gone thru and sometimes can sometimes still slip into the stages of grief that comes with losing something or somebody we love. You ask "how do we make this not suck?". Well... therein lies the new challenge..... its a wonderful place to be when you think about it. Its an opportunity to accept what we can't change and figure out how to change what we can. In my case, I have found that my spirit or essence or soul is really the heart of who I am and who you (meaning any person) are. My measuring stick of success used to be based mostly in the physical realm. How much work can I get done in one hour. How far can I swim in 40 mins. Work to get that A. Work for that promotion. Work to demonstrate some kind of physical manifestation of what a good person I am. All of the grades I gave myself were based on the physical realm and not the spiritual realm.

I think my body is as much a part of me as my spirit or essence. That small voice inside that feels connected to others or lonely. The one that causes me to feel compassion, acceptance, joy, love and all the things you cannot touch but make your world complete. I didn't know this or value this until I couldn't "perform".

Anyway, you ask about giving up running and what purpose it served and how to replace it. I'm thinking about my own life and giving up my long distance swimming, and walking, and biking and my career. What I replaced it with is valuing and measuring the part of me that is not physical. To do this I've read books like "How to be Sick" and joined groups like "Chronic Pain Anonymous" and joined facebook pages specific to folks living with pain and trying to make it as positive as possible. I try to stay in the moment and accept that I can not make plans and accept that. I got some clinical books on how to live with pain, what is pain, and a workbook on discovering all the areas in my life I have had to grieve and still sometimes do. I've learned that I can still "work out" but my "new normal" is doing a DVD "Easy Yoga for Easing Pain" or something like that. I have learned to treat my body like the injured and hurting "child" it is and instead of hate it, show it compassion and caring and reassure it that I accept its pain and limitations and will do everything in my power to care for it. Thats what brought me to MFP.

Writing this has been so helpful for me this morning! Thank you so much for listening. Keep on keeping on! xoxoxo
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have decided to make my own plan. After spending time at the dr/pain clinic yesterday, I was more frustrated and didn't have anymore answers to any of my questions. They want to do more tests and don't seem to know what is going. There's nothing I can do(within reason) that can make anything worse or hurt myself more (I asked), so I'm going to start doing what I feel is best. If I start to ache more, then I will try something else. I don't want to hurt everyday-I'd like to get it figured out and get a plan started or whatever needs to be done it get myself feeling better.
  • swfloridagal
    Options
    I figure I know my body best. I don't think anybody can tell me what I should do to care for myself in terms of pain. I take in all the available information and then decide for myself what is best. I think you know your own body and so that means you know best too.

Good luck!
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    That is very true! I've thought about changing my eating (eating cleaner), trying to exercise more--I've got a few ideas. I'm going to see the Neurologist (which is long overdue) and I'm going to be tested for RA. I'm hoping I don't have RA of course, but its out of my hands. I tried Celebrex which I think might be a migraine trigger for me, so I'm going to put that away for awhile!

Thanks for the encouragement :smile:
  • iamthecatsass
    Options
    I have learned to treat my body like the injured and hurting "child" it is and instead of hate it, show it compassion and caring and reassure it that I accept its pain and limitations and will do everything in my power to care for it.

I really like this. For my whole life I have not listened to my body and treated myself well. I took up drinking and smoking as escape at end of day when pain is at it's worse. Those are my habits to kick right now.
    Re: walking. I find that as much as I love walking, after about 15 minutes I get such terrible midback pain and feel like my bones are breaking.
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with this ridiculous condition for over 10 years, was lucky to have a remission phase 5 yrs ago of about a year then it came back with avengence and i have gradually got worse.
    Yes i feel grief, such deep depressing greif that thought would totally consume me.
    I needed medication help for that.
    Ive always tried to stay as positive as possible at any given point.
    Yes some days i think to myself " im in bloody agony anyway so it doesnt matter what i do" and end up doing something silly that lays me up completely. Sometimes i go the other way and do bugger all because of the pain and end up in just as bad a state.
    I now just take each day as it comes, make vague and loose plans. Exercise when and how i can and keep taking the tablets.
    I have been lucky that i found a job i can manage with very understanding bosses.
    Ego, yeh thats been trampled. I used to be quite an energetic , young for my age girlish fit thing. Where did she go....i miss her so much.