Do you actually get a cardio workout?

Options
I am reasonably new to the totalgym but not to exercise and was wondering if anyone actually gets a cardio workout on their machine? I find it great for strength and hopefully toning (I have only been using the TG for a little while and so am yet to see results - hoping for something other than sore arms soon) but I just CANNOT get what I would call a good cardio session out of it. That said I am not terribly concerned about this but I was just curious or is it another one of those "we'll throw in this promise cause it sounds good but it ain't gonna happen unless you are drastically unfit" things (similar to getting a great workout in 6-8 minutes a day!).

Replies

• timboman365
    timboman365 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you want to get a cardio workout on the Total Gym you need to use your arms and legs simultaneously. I do something called the "cardio pull" where I use the squat stand and push up with my legs as I'm pulling the handles. I try to do this for 15-20 minutes but switch it up as soon as I get board (which is every 5 to 10 minutes) You can alternate arms and legs to get a better core workout (left arm right leg for example)

The best thing I like about the total gym is , as you say, if your arms get tired, concentrate on legs for awhile and then switch off. There is no right way or wrong way. As long as you are having fun for those 15-20 minutes you will get a workout. Even if you don't think you are working out hard, it is better than sitting on the couch and eating potato chips. Unfortunately, it doesn't always feel like you had a good workout until two days after when you realize "that 20 minutes two days ago made a big difference"!!