Early menopause for vegetarian?

Options
firedragon064
firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
I'm 48F. When I switched to become a vegetarian 4 months again. I stopped have my period for 2 months
then i read that being vegetarian may cause early menopause so I start to eat meat about 2 meals a week
and my period come back for 2 months now. I don't know if it was a vegetarian thing or it's just pre-menopause?
I'll plan to do full time vegetarian again to see if I have this problem again.

Replies

• deb3690
    deb3690 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    To be honest I think you may be barking up the wrong tree....now thyroid or other endocrine issues might be of interest.....but thats also very controversial. I would say my experience is that right after I lost half my thyroid and was pretty out of balance hormone-wise I went "suddenly" into menopause....and all the difficult symptoms. No one will say there is a direct relationship...but there are suggestions that menopause can be mroe difficult for folks with thyroid issues... I think I found vegetarian and vegan eating to be a positive solution to help relieve unusual sudden weight gains and body changes. Just my experience...but you might consider either a normal transition or other endocrine stuff going on. Your physician might be the best place to check for additional insight and maybe some lab tests to determine possible causes?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You may want to access your vegetarian and non vegetarian diets and see what nutrients you are missing. I mean, you can eat horrible vegetarian or not.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'm going to wait to see if I still have the problem next month or not. If I still do, I'll give my doctor a call.
    I've been eating more vege and get most my protein from tofu,bean and vital gluten.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I'd guess if you were eating a broad range of fresh plants, fruits, nuts, and dried beans and not eating lots of processed foods you are fine. Menopause is a sneaky thing. You may skip periods and then they come back. That is how women got the surprise pregnancy with that unexpected baby when they were 50 - thinking they were in true menopause! Menopause is real menopause AFTER you have not had a period for one solid year. Probably a good idea to discuss with your doctor anyway, but hopefully not an emergency situation for you.
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't think 48 is early for menopause. I'd be surprised if vegetarianism were responsible. Also, both my Grandmother and Mother were vegetarian (as am I), and they were in their early 50's when they entered menopause. I'm 50 and am only just starting to get hints that it may be coming (late 10 days for my period now). BTW, my Grandma is still living at 106! Unfortunately, her mind is not good now, but she can still walk and takes NO medications.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I agree. 48 isn't especially young for menopause. Younger than 45 is usually considered early. Average is a little over 50 but everyone's different. Personally I think it's unlikely that only 2 months of a vegetarian diet could cause early menopause. I'd talk to your Dr about your Amenorrhea and make sure that your vegetarian diet is healthy and varied enough to have adequate nutrition. An overly restrictive diet with too low protein and fat can do it. It takes a bit of planning, knowledge, and thought to switch to a healthy vegetarian diet. It also takes some time for the body to adjust to it.