Beef jerky

Options
Howbouto
Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
Does anyone make their own beef jerky? What is your recipe? Do you do it in a dehydrator? If not, what brand of jerky do you buy?

Replies

• nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love Slim Jim's, but they have gluten in them and I can't have them anymore :sad:.

So I thought I would try to make my own. I've made jerky with ground beef twice. Both times with a dehydrator and a jerky gun. The jerky gun came with cure and seasoning, but has nitrates and sugar in it (not even sure it's gluten free either.) The second time I made my own recipe:

2 lbs lean ground beef (Needs to be as lean as possible. The least fat helps it from going rancid.)

6 Tbsp Tamari sauce

2 Tbsp L&P Worcestershire (it's gluten free, but not sugar free)

1/2 tsp ground black pepper

1/2 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1/4 tsp ground ginger

1 tsp liq smoke

I have to admit the commercial cure tasted better, but not crazy about all the crap in it. I have not tried beef strips with the homemade recipe yet. It may be better than the ground beef. I would love to try a some of the paleo jerky that's out there, but it's too expensive right now for me.
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I use this recipe and we all love it:

3 lbs lean beef sliced about 1/4" thick (I ask the butcher to slice it for me or put the meat in the freezer for about an hour to make it easier to cut)
    2/3 C coconut aminos (if you're okay with soy, you can use half tamari)
    1/3 C water
    dash of ginger
    3 cloves garlic, grated
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    optional 1 t. of sweetener (I've used palm sugar, molasses and date sugar all successfully)

Marinate at least 6 hours, overnight if you can. I use a dehydrator and it takes just a few hours. The biggest problem is that we want to eat it all immediately, but it seems to taste best after it's had a day or so for the flavors to meld after dehydrating.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I need to buy a dehydrator!!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I need to buy a dehydrator!!

Don't need a dehydrator - we do ours in the oven on a low temp - about 250 for 2 hours or so.

We use a jerky gun (nesco brand I think - got it on Amazon for $20 or under) and use metal cooling trays (not the coated kind) to squeeze the jerky out and dry out in the oven.

We use venison that my husband has hunted and usually use some sort of non sugar spice blend or make up our own -we don't use any cure (which means it has to be refridgerated and has a limited life span)
  • ethelapple
    Options
    Mmmm, I just got a ton of venison -- I think I'm going to try your recipe, Skwidlund!!! Thx.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I buy mine From Steve's Original, who also sells Paleo Kits. Good stuff.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I do mine in a dehydrator and it's always a big hit

thin sliced top round, visible fat cut off (this marinade will do up to around 5lbs of the thin sliced beef)
    1 can chipotle chilies in adobo
    1tbsp honey or molasses (or to taste)
    2tbsp Worcestershire sauce (check ingredients for non-legal things, or make your own)
    about 4 good shakes of liquid smoke (again, check ingredients)
    around 1/3 cup olive oil
    salt, pepper, red pepper flakes if you want it spicier than the chipotle make it -- all to taste

Blend the chipotle and adobo with the honey/molasses, Worcestershire, liquid smoke, and salt and pepper until smooth. Add red pepper flakes if you want it spicier, more honey/molasses if you want it sweeter. Blend again and pour oil in while blending. The marinade should take on a lighter color. Add marinade and meat to a ziplock bag and massage to cover all the meat. I sometimes only marinade around 2hours but longer is fine. Dehydrate per your machine's instructions.
  • Myzztique
    Myzztique Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Biltong - traditionally Soth African? I am absolutely addicted and it is way better than Jerky IMO.

Have a look at the below links:
    AN EASY GUIDE TO HOME BILTONG MAKING - http://www.biltongmakers.com/biltong14a_instructions_01.html
    Recipes - http://www.biltongmakers.com/biltong06a_recipes_biltong.html
    Some more Recipes from the locals: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/343815-Biltong-recipe

I have not yet made my own, but now that we have the dehydrator I cant wait to give it a try.