What are you writing?

Options
kitkatkmt
kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
What are you writing now? I'm working on getting something developed, so that I can start writing it. It's in my brain, just not fully developed.

Replies

• FemaleWriter
    FemaleWriter Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm in the phase of planning, researching and outlining a story. I just hope it's ready to go on November 1, when I plan to start writing it.

Have you started writing yet?
  • kitkatkmt
    Options
    I haven't. A bit of an excuse, but a valid one nonetheless... I have an 11-month-old, so my writing time at this point is somewhat non-existent. The story is completely in my head. However, I have been fleshing it out a bit more (again, in my head), and I am going to start putting it down on paper within the next few days - at least the outline. I need to get writing again!!! I miss it!
  • Pandahead
    Pandahead Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have little ones at home, as well. So I'm only "dabbling" in writing. (In 2 years, all of my children will be in school and I can start writing with gusto again.)

I've been very slowly working on a YA fantasy/fairy tale for my oldest daughter. (I normally don't write YA. I don't care for it, lol.)
  • kitkatkmt
    Options
    I've finally started something. Yahoo!!
  • Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am writing on a blog at www.watchfit.com. I am the person to motivate others to lose weight. :)
  • maryq5
    maryq5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of the 3rd editsof my shape-shifter erotic romance, Crow Magic. Argh!

You know how you don't want your kids hanging out with "bad" kids so they don't pick up "bad" habits? Well... I found out that I've picked up some "bad" writing habits from reading "bad" works. I feel like I'm back in high school with these edits. At least I have the most amazing editor who is kicking my butt back into gear. Lesson learned... if you want to be a good writer, read good books. I'm not sure when Decadent Publishing will release Crow Magic. I'll probably find out when I turn these edits in.

When I'm done, I have to work on self editing Taming Racheal and resubmit the book to the publisher. However, I have some great ideas on some more books, but I have to focus on these edits first.
  • CharlayneDenney
    Options
    My first book is tentatively named "Lilly's Turn" and it's the beginning book in the "Wrong Turn" series. Lilly is a woman who works in the Storyville New Orleans brothel, Mahogany Hall. She meets with a long-time customer of the Hall and ends up dead. There's an angel named Sullivan who is sent to post-Katrina New Orleans to check out the reports of two unregistered paranatural beings in the St. Louis 1 Cemetery. He meets up with a foursome of bad guys who beat him and leave him for dead. He is saved by a mysterious woman living in one of the crypts. They must survive New Orleans after Katrina and also survive the lusts and emotions that drive them as they try to find a way to escape.

"Wrong Turns" will be at least three novels, "Lilly's Turn", "Marcus's Turn", and "Sullivan's Turn" with a novella "The Turning of Marcus" as well. It's paranormal romance.

I also read novels for Paranormal Romance Guild as a reviewer.
  • CharlayneDenney
    Options
    I'm in the middle of the 3rd editsof my shape-shifter erotic romance, Crow Magic. Argh!

You know how you don't want your kids hanging out with "bad" kids so they don't pick up "bad" habits? Well... I found out that I've picked up some "bad" writing habits from reading "bad" works. I feel like I'm back in high school with these edits. At least I have the most amazing editor who is kicking my butt back into gear. Lesson learned... if you want to be a good writer, read good books. I'm not sure when Decadent Publishing will release Crow Magic. I'll probably find out when I turn these edits in.

When I'm done, I have to work on self editing Taming Racheal and resubmit the book to the publisher. However, I have some great ideas on some more books, but I have to focus on these edits first.

Have you looked into getting into a writer's group like Paranormal Romance Guild? There are some great benefits to being with other writers/editors/publishers. They are all very good at helping new writers and they also have reviewers (I'm one) for newly published books. I'm familiar with Decadent, I've reviewed their books before, I've enjoyed some, not others. With the explosion of self-publishing and e-publishing, there has been a lot of books put out and it's hard, sometimes, to know where to go for good stuff.

Are you up on Good Reads as well? They have a lot of reviewers and you can keep track of your own personal collection as well. I have reviewed for them and for Tigris Garden of Books before. I think Tigris is who I did the Decadent Publishing reviews for.

Good luck with it, let us know when you publish.
  • johnp1732
    johnp1732 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have multiple that I'm working on...

A modern day with some future SF tech dealing with paparazzi and crime scenes.

Another with an atheist late-teenager who is the last chosen soldier for both heaven & hell.

And a whole bunch of other stories dealing with all the other physical items of the Bible. (David's sling, the Horns from Jericho, etc).

Most of it's in my head, or in the ether waiting for me to rein it in.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm working on a medieval fantasy romance about an arranged marriage between a conqueror and the native princess, and I will also admit to writing JAFF as well. If you know what it is, I'll tell you what I wrote, if you don't know, you wouldn't get it anyway.
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I've started on book one of a trilogy.
    Relating to secret orders,kidnappings,
    secrets and a few other intriguing
    elements that hopefully will be
    a good suspense. :)
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm a first-time writer working on 2 fanfiction stories. I chickened out in writing an original novel because I didn't think my first one would be long enough, but I've just passed the 70k word mark. Halfway through that one I got an idea for a second one that's also become fanfiction. I go back and forth between the 2 depending on how much writer's block I get. Maybe one day I'll branch off into original characters, but for now I'm just having fun figuring out the process of writing in general, and I just love these 2 characters so much.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm a first-time writer working on 2 fanfiction stories. I chickened out in writing an original novel because I didn't think my first one would be long enough, but I've just passed the 70k word mark. Halfway through that one I got an idea for a second one that's also become fanfiction. I go back and forth between the 2 depending on how much writer's block I get. Maybe one day I'll branch off into original characters, but for now I'm just having fun figuring out the process of writing in general, and I just love these 2 characters so much.

What fanfiction are you writing in? I do FF too, but I was an original writer before. I was always afraid to try FF because I thought I'd have too much of a hard time being true to the characters, but I stuck my pen in last year, and to my shock people actually liked it. It was a very encouraging feeling.
  • 1nsomniac13
    1nsomniac13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hey all. Saw a writers group and felt compelled to jump in. :)

I've been writing as a hobby for many years. Self-published but then fell off the wagon and have written very sporadically ever since. I prefer writing science fiction, specifically cyberpunk and as an extension of that, I have written a whole ton of Shadowrun fanfiction (I've been a GameMaster in the game for 15 years... yes, I am a nerd).

Always looking for new inspirations and challenges to motivate myself to put pen to paper...

Most of what I've written lately isn't overly good... stuff for clearing the cobwebs (leaning back on my Shadowrun stuff). I hope to start writing proper short fiction again soon...
  • annalisbeth74
    Options
    Autumnfilly- I'm writing Supernatural fan fiction, but I write alternate universe so it's basically just romance. You get a little more leeway I think with staying true to the character. Also, they always say your first novel never gets published anyway, so I figured this would be a good outlet to still have people read my stuff and give feedback.

I'm waiting until I finish to publish online, though. I keep going back and re-editing stuff.
  • 1nsomniac13
    Options
    @annalisbeth74 - That is always my bane... I constantly go back and think "That could sound so much better if I..." NaNoWriMo helped me with that mentality (the book I published came from that contest), but I still find myself slipping back into those old habits...
  • annalisbeth74
    Options
    I know! I'm trying not to anymore. It's hard as a first-timer, though. Those early chapters have a different style to them than the later ones, and I keep re-reading and wanting to change stuff. It did help a little, though, when I got to my fourth or fifth re-read and realized I had accidentally changed a character's last name.

I've wanted to try NaNoWriMo for years, but I always chicken out. It can take me a week to get 1,000 words sometimes; I might get one or two chapters done in a month. How did you get a whole book done?
  • 1nsomniac13
    Options
    I had to let go of my quest for perfection. I wrote 2000-3000 words every day until I finished it by the end of the month. I took December off and then went back to it.

It was awful. Like, truly awful. Plot holes you could drive Buicks through, inconsistent character behavior and the grammar would have given my old English teachers a heart attack.

But, it was finished, which is always the big item... constantly revising and never finishing. So, I wrote it in a month and then spent the next year and a half editing, revising and cleaning it up. It's still not a perfect tale, but it is a much more polished version than what came out of that first month.
  • annalisbeth74
    Options
    Oh, wow. I always wondered what happened when November ended!
  • 1nsomniac13
    Options
    Many let it die... what comes out of that month often barely resembles the story as they wanted to tell it and they just let the idea go. But, many recognize that at the center of that disaster is a great story waiting to be chiseled out of the debris. You just have to be willing to do the work. At that point you have a "whole story"... but it's obscured, cluttered and disjointed.

It was a method that worked for me, but it was no small undertaking. But, I have a book on my bookcase with my name on the spine... something that makes me proud and made my kids' jaws drop in awe. "You're an author?!"

That was a good feeling. :)