Weight, Body Fat %, and Protein Intake Question

Options
Seeing how threads like this turn into big debates with the original question never answered I figured I'd ask here.

I have a bit of a dilemma. My doctor referred me to the complexes dietitian who put me on a nutrient diet of 1400 calories. I was told by my dietitian as well as by my personal trainer not to eat back any calories. The macros on the nutrient plan are roughly the same as MFP default.

Looking around here many state you should be eating 1 gram of protein per lean body mass. I have the rough estimate of 41% body fat (going by the kiosk at the grocery store and pictures of women with that amount of body fat) and weigh 192. This would mean I have 113 pounds of lean body mass. Other estimates say your weight in kilos, give or take, this would mean I would have to eat around 87 grams of protein.

So here's my problem. If I hit my nutrient plan I have between 100-200 calories left. I do have some protein powder that is 130 calories per scoop. If I have one scoop of protein powder I get a little over 70 grams (assuming I only hit around 50 for food that day). If I can cram in two I can get a little over 90 grams. Three scoops is impossible as that would take up almost 400 calories.

My personal trainer is on vacation and won't be back until sometime next week. I won't see my dietitian until January 2nd. She really didn't know much about BMR or TBEE and is rather old school (she's probably close to retirement age) so I'm not sure I'm going to get much of an answer there.

I just started weight training on December 5th. I have four upper body exercises and average lifting 20 pounds three days a week (well we all start somewhere). I have three lower body weight exercises and lift 30 pounds two days a week. When my trainer gets back we'll probably up the weights and possibly add more exercises. In addition, I do a half an hour on the stationary bike and a half hour on the treadmill. I usually just do cardio on Saturday and take Sunday off.

Considering my high weight and body fat percentage how much protein should I be getting to maintain my lean body mass?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    First off, just for peace of minds sake: Since you are new to weight training and given your current bodyfat percentage, you are "probably" going to maintain LBM for a while even in the face of sub-optimal protein intake.

That being said, looking just at numbers, double the RDA of protein puts you at 140g. 1g/lb LBM puts you at 113g.

It's not a black-and-white thing and you might be just fine on less protein. I'm of the attitude though, that assuming personal preferences are met, it is probably better to err on the side of slightly more protein vs less.

The first thing I'd look at would be to increase your food-sources of protein. You mention that you only hit around 50 for the day in food -- you might find greater satiety (you get to eat more and be full) by incorporating larger portions of protein. Just for example, a big plate of fish and vegetables allows you to stuff your face-hole with LOTS of protein and very little calories.

In closing, I would of course make sure the above doesn't conflict with your medical advice.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'm not positive but I doubt these recommendations were based on people who needed to go on strict low calorie diets. I'm pretty sure those recommendations are based on numbers required to maintain a healthy weight, which would be a lot higher.

2000 calories is what is recommended for the 'average healthy female' according to the RDI. That gives most lots of room to eat lots of protein. Men get to eat even more then that (on average)

On a diet that's less then what a slim girl can eat, well, that makes it more of a challenge. Cut so many calories, and something has to suffer somewhere. The choice of what is up to you.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I'm not positive but I doubt these recommendations were based on people who needed to go on strict low calorie diets. I'm pretty sure those recommendations are based on numbers required to maintain a healthy weight, which would be a lot higher.

What recommendations are you referring to with the above?

It does get more challenging when you've got less calories to work with but at the same time, protein requirements go up as deficit increases. The closer you are to maintenance or even in a surplus, the lower your need for protein.
  • Betty_Blowtorch
    Betty_Blowtorch Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well, I was told by my dietitian that I can have as much vegetables as I want and I prefer broccoli and brussel sprouts, but I'm advised three servings. Thus, I'm really not getting more than 16-20 grams of protein there. I am also advised only four servings of meat, or two card decks, three servings of fat (if I go for nuts I can only have four to six nuts for a serving), five servings of starch, and two 1 cup servings of milk (I prefer soy milk). Thus, on a really good day I can hit about 70-80 grams. I don't have a food scale yet, so I'm a little stuck.

I set my protein goal for 88 grams, and will have the mental goal of 90 until my personal trainer comes back and I'll ask her. I'd like to get as close to 113 as I can. I'll be getting that food scale really soon. I'm going to try my best.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Did your dietitian say how much meat you could have in terms of ounces?
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Learn to love edamame, at least while you're on this restrictive of a diet. 11 grams of complete protein (all the amino acids. ) it's the only veg that is a complete protein. Start eating more beans, too, maybe.

It's not as low calorie as your brussels or broccoli. But...it's really easy to not get enough protein on a low cal diet, especially if your exercise regimen is pretty serious. I did this once and my fingernails started peeling, cracking, breaking. It can be detrimental to your nails, hair and skin, among other things. So, Sidesteel is right. Err with too much rather than too little.

Sorry i didn't really address your real question. but hopefully reading this was worth it. lol
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Oh, and quinoa, too. also contains all amino acids. and has something like 8 grams of protein in each serving.
  • Betty_Blowtorch
    Betty_Blowtorch Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The amount of meat I can have is about four ounces. Cheese, cottage cheese, and eggs also count as meat.

I just went to the store, but plan to go shopping some more tomorrow so I'll pick up some edamane, beans, and quinoa for my starch.

Thanks for your help.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    The amount of meat I can have is about four ounces. Cheese, cottage cheese, and eggs also count as meat.

I just went to the store, but plan to go shopping some more tomorrow so I'll pick up some edamane, beans, and quinoa for my starch.

Thanks for your help.

Were you told why you have a limitation on the above food items? I would clarify this before moving forward.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

It does get more challenging when you've got less calories to work with but at the same time, protein requirements go up as deficit increases. The closer you are to maintenance or even in a surplus, the lower your need for protein.

Exactly what you were talking about, protein. Wouldn't the need for basically everything go up though? Like I said, something has to suffer somewhere. Not saying it should be protein, as soon as I increased mine (about a year ago now, wow) I felt a million times better, but if calories go down, something has to go down, if not everything.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Exactly what you were talking about, protein. Wouldn't the need for basically everything go up though? Like I said, something has to suffer somewhere. Not saying it should be protein, as soon as I increased mine (about a year ago now, wow) I felt a million times better, but if calories go down, something has to go down, if not everything.

Carbs are the variable in the equation.