calorie craziness

Options
ragslittle
ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
So I am conflicted. I know I am at the point where I need to maintain my weight and not really lose anymore...so I increased my calories to the maintenance level that mfp suggested...but in turn I ate things i shouldnt have to get the calories in, and I felt mentally guilty and felt like bad habits might sneek back in on me. So now I am back down to 1300 calories and with all of my exercise i find myself under calorie goal, but I am eating healthier....dont know what to do....going to meet with my NUT soon and my trainer to see what kind of plan to come up with. Its a hard balancing act!!

Replies

• healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    That is the best thing to do. Your NUT will know just how to guide you.
  • Slickerb
    Slickerb Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am at the exact same point and have noticed the same thing. My eating this last month has been just awful, but I have stopped the weight loss. My goal after the holidays is to figure out how to eat better and maintain my weight at the same time. I can't eat any more than I eat now, so it is going to have to be modifying what I do eat. I'll let you know if I can figure out the happy medium.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    After years of dieting, I think most of us have screwey metabolisms and therefore cannot go by the number of calories MFP recommends. After 5 years of being on bariatric forums and observing other people's habits, most post-ops seem to need 1200-1600 calories to maintain. I played with my numbers until I figured out what works for me. I usually get 1700-2000 calories in a day to maintain my 135 pounds. If I need to lose a few, I cut back to 1500.
  • Laura8603
    Options
    Forgot to ask, how long ago was your surgery??? When I got to goal at 14 months, I increased my calories to stop losing. I was probably eating close to 3000 calories a day. Then about the 2 year mark, BAM, the honeymoon was over and I gained 10 pounds. I had to cut back to my 1700-2000 that i eat now. Just be aware that things change.
  • ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am 10 months out.... My surg was 3/5/12. So I have dropped a lot of weight fast - and I am ready to slow down. I have reached my initial goal and am only 5 lbs from my stretch goal. I really don't want to go below that. So we will see what happens. How in the world can you eat 3000 cals and not make bad choices???/
  • Laura8603
    Options
    I don't think of food as good or bad. I ate a lot of protein and 2 protein shakes a day with milk and strawberries. 3000 was easy. Just be aware when the honeymoon is over and you are absorbing every calorie you eat, you may have to cut back your calories like I did (around the 2 year mark). Too many people do not learn that lesson which is why regain is so common with RNY.
  • Lissa_M
    Lissa_M Posts: 131
    Options
    I had my surgery just over a year ago and I notice I am still losing about 10-15lbs a month at about 1400 calories a day. I still have about 80ish lbs to go, so I am just hoping it remains slow and steady.
  • FuzzieJelly
    FuzzieJelly Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I had the DS on October 29 2012. I am not looking forward to the stage all of you are talking about. I know one day it will happen. Until then, I hope to lose a total of 200 lbs from 336. Im at the 65 lbs lost so far. I think the surgery is just what I needed to get over the hump of stopping the loss of weight. Now I seem to be losing 10 lbs or so a month. I am learning a lot about the good choices, eating slowly, chewing 60-80 times before swallowing, not drinking with a meal (30 min before and after), really really small portions, you get the idea. When I get to the point of not losing, I just don't know what I will do. Change something up in eating or exercise or mental status. I agree slow and steady is the best way to keep it off. So, keep me in line all of you guys, I need the kick in the butt from time to time.