Average calories per day

Options
Hi I am new to your group, new to Myfitnesspal and fairly new to gastric bypass surgery! It doesn't matter how much research I did before the big day... there are so many unanswered questions, so I hope you will be able to help me thru my confusion. When I have entered all my foods for the day and the "MYFITNESSPALL" totals the calories, it is always less then "your daily goal". My question is how do I adjust my "Daily Goal" and is there a daily average calorie intake number for gastric bypass diet ? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• stephanielindsey
    Options
    To change your daily calorie goal, under the My Home tab, click on goals, then click change goals. Then choose custom. That will let you input the number of calories you want your goal set at and also customize your protein/ carb/ fat goals.

As far as how many calories you should be taking in, that can vary by surgical program and may be best answered by yours. On average, it seems to vary from 600-1200 calories, also depending on how far out from surgery you are.

I hope that helps!
  • kasmusic3PA
    kasmusic3PA Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Kathy,

I had my gastric bypass on September 11, 2012. I'm 3 1/2 months out of surgery. In the beginning my calories intake was between 600 and 900 calories per day. Now my doctor wants me at 1200, and some days it is really hard to make that total.
    I know that all doctor's require different totals for their patients. I have noticed that the majority is 1200 calories per day.
    I hope this helps you. If you have any other questions please feel free to message me. I am here for support. I just love this site because it provides sonmuch support and the advice from mfp friends helps so much.

Your new friend,
    Kathy
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    For the first year I would ask your doctor or thier nutricienist. Assuming you are within the first year concentrate on the rules or how to eat more than how many calories. Chew everything, do not drink within 30 min of eating. Eat small meals (approx. 6) Protein is much more important than calories.

To me this is a one time do over. 99.9% of people after surgery lose most of thier weight. Keeping it off after you lose it is much harder. So I can't say it enough. Learn the correct way of eating now while you can. Ask tons of questions, read eveyrhing you can get your hands on, go to support groups, join support groups on line, anything and everything. You don't want to be a statistic that gained thier weight back after a couple years.
  • AuntieLisa4
    AuntieLisa4 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm one month out, I have my one month follow up yesterday. my cal intake is to be between 800-1000cals. Every program is different. So its best to check with your dr or nut.
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am 9 months out and eat between 1300 and 1400 a day. I don't eat back what I burn, either, so I net about 600-800 a day on vigorous workout days and 900-1100 on not so vigorous days.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I know that my nutritionist wants me to try to get to 1000 each day. I am three months out and usually make about 700, some days less, some days a little more. I know it will go up at maintenance, but I am a ways from there yet. I also love my doctor and nutritionist because the exercise recommended is "something that you can live with for the rest of your life." My surgeon suggest just to "keep moving"--doing ordinary daily tasks like cleaning, gardening, mowing, walking. Park further away, walk to the store when possible. He said that if you can't do a gym for the rest of your life realistically just don't do it. My thoughts exactly!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am nine months out and will get anywhere from 900 to 1300 a day depending on how hungry I am.
  • Maylene1217
    Maylene1217 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am 3.5 years out. I aim for 1200 a day. Sometimes I'm less, sometimes I'm over..... I was maintaining 140 but gained some holiday pounds. Current weight 150.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    :blushing: i am set at 1200 a day but SOMETIMES need to eat back exersice cals back!