Weight loss - What's worked and what hasn't???

Options
AdamBellfpt
AdamBellfpt Posts: 224 Member
Would love to get an idea of what people have been trying diet and exercise wise….stuff that worked and that didn't

Thanks

Adam

Replies

• Melanie_xox
    Melanie_xox Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Other than trying to eat healthier and workout, I tried counting points on weight watchers. It was good and I know it works for some, but I felt it was hard because it's like you were constantly converting information to points.. It felt like too much work (versus just using calorie counting) and too much guessing
  • Melanie_xox
    Melanie_xox Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It felt like you were translating your food to german all the time....It was just like WHY
  • AdamBellfpt
    Options
    Thanks Melanie! Like you I've seen WW work for some people, but I'm not the biggest fan…I think sensible healthy eating and and idea of calories is better!
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Tried WW several times and had success for a little while but it never stuck. Probably because they don't emphasize exercise plus also perhaps there were too few calories being consumed. Dunno.

Apparently I'm doing the slow and steady way (although I am trying for fast and furious my body doesn't agree). As I age it is getting harder and harder to lose. At this point I want to be healthy and fit. I'm loving lifting and find that it is changing my body even though the scale isn't shifting.
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    So I'd love your take on eat more weigh less.
  • AdamBellfpt
    Options
    I generally agree with eat more lose less…So many people think if they practically starve themselves they'll lose weight, but sadly it doesn't work like that. By not eating sufficiently, you slow down your metabolism which means that when you do eat your body is more likely to store fat as it "worries" about when it next get food! This s rather simplistic view of what happens but…I like simple :)

In terms of eating more, the one thing I find I encourage most people to eat more is protein…my advice is to try and eat regularly 4-6 regular small meals rather than 3 bigger meals. The other thing I tend to recommend is to try and encourage people try and get protein in as much as possible!
  • smccully88
    smccully88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me is calorie counting. I have been very successful at using this method. It is the easiest that I have found possible because I can treat myself and still keep it in my calories for the day. I have also started eating more frequently. I try to eat something every two to three hours.

The biggest thing that I am going to try to incorporate is eating more vegetables. I am a fruit lover--and I would rather have fruit as a snack. I am going to try to mix this up and eat more vegetables.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I am quite lazy with logging what I eat, but I try to eat clean most of my time and eat organic. I have around 200 cals of organic 85% dark choc everyday. That way I feel I am not depriving myself and being not very restrictive. I eat to hunger and I believe that the a calorie is NOT a calorie. Meaning 60 calorie apple is not same as 60 calories of ice cream, the quality matters. So even if I don't count calories per se, I have managed to lose weight.

I loved it when I heard about the "eat more to weigh less" way of thinking, lol...

Now I am in the process of losing the last 10 pounds and I feel that I need to workout at least 5 hours / week to meet my goals. And I am looking for help/tip/support for this as I have never done that before.
  • carriebailey72
    carriebailey72 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to count calories and stay away from white food( rice pasta potato ). I'm going to the gym 5-7 days a week. For cardio I do the elipitical for an hr every time I go and also do weights. I don't have a set weight program yet but I'm working on it. As of the last few weeks I have been loosing about 2 lbs a week.
  • toottoots
    toottoots Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    mfp has really worked (or is working) for me, because i'm actually AWARE of what i'm eating - i knew a cream cake wasn't healthy, but calorie goals/limits and content i had no idea.
    So now i still have things i like, but i eat less and if i've ate a lot i will go out of my way to be more active.

(FYI: oh my god, onion rings - i had about 20 at one time - now i wont touch even one, they're like 100 calories each!! Lol)
  • VeroJuly
    VeroJuly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I love MFP because it made me realize what and how much I was actually eating. I'm on my last 10 pounds to lose and its so hard! I am trying to balance between toning exercises and cardio.
    I have a great support system from friend and local trainers who give me some advices. My biggest problem is dealing with RA and my heart condition. I try to push myself as hard as I can but sometimes its just too much for my old bones. SO in order to keep going, I try to workout smat and modify some workouts to my body limitations. Its a slow and frustating process but it seems to be the only way for me right now :)
    One of my other problem, is that, like mentionned above, I don't eat enough! I have a hard time to reach 1200 sometimes (thanks to GERD and IBS) But I do try!
    Thanks for adding me to your group. I'm very much looking foward to learning from each and everyone of you :)

Cheers from Montreal, Canada!
  • DanTillson
    DanTillson Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to lose weight now but had great success previously on Tim Ferris's 'Slow Carb Diet', Quite similar to paleo I believe. Basically no white carbs (pasta/potato/bread/flour). No calorie counting. No dairy. Lots of meat, veg, beans, lentils. Lost about 3 stone over a few months, even though I didn't follow it 100% strictly.

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/04/06/how-to-lose-20-lbs-of-fat-in-30-days-without-doing-any-exercise/

Now I just limit white carbs more to the treat category and eat grains (oats), dairy, potato fairly regularly. I will cut these out though if I want to get shredded quickly.
  • knight76306
    knight76306 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've had to watch my weight all my life. What has worked best for me is eating 6 small meals a day (no longer than 3 hours apart), drinking a ton of water, and for me very little processed anything. Bread, pasta, anything in a box gives me a terrible stomach ache.

About 4 years ago I was bit with the fitness bug. I used to work out at home, but have been a gym member for the past 3 years. I love it! However, the last year has been hit and miss. Divorce, new position at work, new house, just life has thrown me for a loop.

I know what to do, it's just doing it this time.