Swim caps

Options
So I bought a swim cap because the chlorine was killing my hair
Not only does it make me look super dorky but I hate it
I wore it with dry hair and it was soaked when I got out anyway
So I read you should wet your hair put conditioner on then your cap. Not only was this extremely hard but it kept slipping off. It always feels like its going to pop off my head
An I somehow doing this wrong? My brand is Jaguar Is it just a crappy brand? Tips? Brands? Types?

Replies

• maggiewithfins
    maggiewithfins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    What has worked best for me is wetting my hair with fresh water and then putting on my silicone (way nicer than latex) cap. I then wash my hair as normal after my swim. Some people like to use special shampoo and conditioner designed for swimming in chlorine, but I don't bother. I have found that wetting my hair first stops the worst of the chlorine smell as your hair is saturated with fresh water first, and less able to suck up the pool water. Or so goes the theory.
    Hope that helps.
  • starbuckette
    starbuckette Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I so the same thing as aotea, soak my hair with fresh water before putting on my cap and wash my hair immediately afterwards. I find it works well. I do however use special shampoo for chlorine only because my hair is short and there are strands at the back that stick out of the cap and they are like straw so I'm hoping that the chlorine removal shampoo will help those! Can't say it's made that much of a difference, but a little is better than none at all!
  • tdhighfill
    tdhighfill Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    What has worked best for me is wetting my hair with fresh water and then putting on my silicone (way nicer than latex) cap. I then wash my hair as normal after my swim. Some people like to use special shampoo and conditioner designed for swimming in chlorine, but I don't bother. I have found that wetting my hair first stops the worst of the chlorine smell as your hair is saturated with fresh water first, and less able to suck up the pool water. Or so goes the theory.
    Hope that helps.

same for me - wet my hair in the shower. My brand is Speedo and silicone. Green Daisy one - in case you want to look like me here is the link. $12.95 at Amazon. There are other fun colors - but green is my favorite color - so there you go! LOL It fits VERY tight - I typically have a crease on my skin when I'm done swimming.

http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-Spacey-Daisy-Silicone-Green/dp/B001M5TWMO/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1357146548&sr=8-23&keywords=speedo+swimcap
  • LIswimmer51
    Options
    dorky doesn't matter in swimming, caps, i find doubling a cap works pretty well, i usually put on a latex cap and then a silicon over it, it won't keep your hair 100% dry because if you're going intense you'll be sweating like crazy and won't realize it until you take your cap off because your hair is so wet.