New to the group :)

Options
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the MFP site and am BEYOND ecstatic to have found this support group. I am looking for buddies who have gone thru the same things I have with PCOS and would love to be a support to anyone who needs one.

A little about my PCOS journey, I was diagnosed in Nov 2009 after having cysts burst throughout my early 20's and having no idea what was going on. I thought TERRIBLE gas? Appendix bursting? Never occurred to me I would have ovarian cysts. My husband and I had been trying to conceive for about a year when I had another cyst burst and finally went to the doctor. After months of testing, monitoring, and several sonograms they diagnosed me with PCOS and said we may never conceive. I was put on Metformin in Feb 2010 (lost 30 lbs) and conceived our son in May 2010, just a few months later. I conceived when I was no where near "supposed" to be ovulating. It was explained to me that the metformin leveled my hormones and made me spontaneously ovulate. YAY!

So, I at the beginning of my pregnancy I was completely taken off of the Metformin. I had a 41 hour long labor and delivered my son naturally, began breastfeeding minutes after his birth. Then, something I had NEVER been warned of, or even heard of happened. I had no breastmilk. And when I say no breastmilk, I mean ZERO. My son lost 2 lbs in his first 5 days of life and was severely dehydrated. NOBODY BELIEVED me when I said I had no milk. A nurse on the appointment hotline laughed at me and said "she had no code for that kind of problem, she had never heard of it". And, that is how most of the doctors treated me as well- no one cared to help. Hormone tests, lactation consultants, WIC, I tried everything. I would pump for 20 mins and nurse 8-12 times a day and get a TOTAL of 1/4 oz for the ENTIRE day. You better believe I gave my son every last drop of that milk! I tried everything for 3 months. Every feeding I used an SNS (supplementary nursing system, tube attached to nipple with formula) pumped between feedings, took Goat's Rue- pill form and tincture (horrid stuff!). I found out I am sensitive or allergic to Fenugreek, I got extremely ill with it. As a last resort, a lactation consultant suggested I take Domperidone, which is not even legal in the US. So, THAT was fun to get a hold of... I did everything under the sun to produce milk and in the end, still nothing. I'm wondering if anyone else had this problem, I've searched the internet for the past 18 months trying to find more women who have had this issue. I did find the link to PCOS, but not many women who are still active on the sites I've found them on.

I am trying to lose between 30 and 50 lbs before Feb 2013 which is when we are going to start TTC again. I would love some support on this journey, and in return I would love to give the same. Please, anyone feel free to add me, I am so relieved to have found women who are going thru the same things I have, I finally don't feel so alone and ostracized anymore :)

Jenny

Replies

• Kelly_1981
    Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hi Jenny,

Sorry I havent been posting much but wanted to say WELCOME! Great to see you x

I dont have any experience with the breast milk situation but it sounds horrific for you.

GL on your TTC
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. My doctor told me that Metformin helps with the milk problem with PCOS. I was abundant with milk, but I was on Zoloft at that time, so I couldn't breastfeed. But I've been off of it for 2 1/2 years now and am TTC and will breastfeed this time. Keep faith.