Cutting/leaning out

Options
I am curious if any of you have been on a cutting or leaning out diet? I am in great shape. I just want more muscle definition in my midsection and arms. We are going on a cruise the end of February and I want to rock the bikini like I never have before. Everything I read says stay away from dairy, sugar, and bad carbs and to eat high protein (which I already do) and lots of veggies. Is there anything else I need to consider or I am missing when it comes to leaning out? It seems so simple. I eat around 1800 calories a day which is between my BMR and TDEE.

BTW I spend alot of time in the gym. I lift heavy and do cardio 5-6 times a week (I am a group exercise and spin instructor.) so I am not really concerned with the exercise portion of this.

Replies

• Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    bump...I'm curious too....just got to maintenance but I'd like to see a bit more definition and lean out a bit.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Scooby's site has a few articles on leaning/cutting

http://scoobysworkshop.com/how-long-to-get-6-pack-abs/

Then see the categories on the left
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I've just started cutting again as of Jan 1st though I've been doing it mid 2012. In my case I just do it like I would when I was still trying to lose weight, meaning eating at calorie deficit. I know we are all different but unless you are lactose intolerant, I don't believe in avoiding dairy as long as it is the natural one and not processed. You'll be missing out on the nutritional value of these foods have plus they are high in protein. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, low fat milk/cheese or skimmed milk are your best bets.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a solid plan to me. 1800 might be too low, if your activity is high and you only have a little bit to lose. I likr http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ to calculate TDEE and just a 20% or less deficit from that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I agree with 1800 possibly being too low. do you net 1800? i would try TDEE -10%
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this right now :)

I agree with others about 1800 possibly being too low - you're very very active so probably burning an awful lot. What's your TDEE? I have a job where I'm always on my feet, and go to the gym (lifting only) 4-5 times a week and my TDEE is around 2700-2800 on average. I'm cutting on 2400.

I don't really follow any advice that says to "stay away" from anything in particular. I eat what I like in moderation, and as long as it fits my macro/calorie goals. If you work well on low sugar then that's fine (although I wouldn't say it HAS to be this way for everyone to get results) but I see no reason at all to stay away from dairy unless you personally have always had issues with it.

Just stay in a low-moderate deficit, lift heavy, hit your macro targets and you should get where you want to be :)
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    I agree with 1800 possibly being too low. do you net 1800? i would try TDEE -10%

My TDEE is around 2228 BMR is 1317

Thanks! Maybe you all are right about increasing my calories. Starting today my workout schedule looks like this Monday 2 hours of cardio, Tuesday 1 hour of lifting followed by 1 hour of cardio, Wednesday is my break day, Thursday 1 hour of lifting followed by 1 hour of cardio, Friday 1 hour of lifting followed by 1 hour of cardio, Saturday 1 hour of cardio, Sunday 1 hour of lifting. I teach 3 spin classes a week and I love to take my friends class with our members so that is why I am doing so much cardio. I also teach a weigh class on Friday so that is why I lift back to back on Thursdays and Fridays. The rest of the time I am pretty active, cleaning my house and chasing my kiddos.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Thanks! Maybe you all are right about increasing my calories. Starting today my workout schedule looks like this Monday 2 hours of cardio, Tuesday 1 hour of lifting followed by 1 hour of cardio, Wednesday is my break day, Thursday 1 hour of lifting followed by 1 hour of cardio, Friday 1 hour of lifting followed by 1 hour of cardio, Saturday 1 hour of cardio, Sunday 1 hour of lifting. I teach 3 spin classes a week and I love to take my friends class with our members so that is why I am doing so much cardio. I also teach a weigh class on Friday so that is why I lift back to back on Thursdays and Fridays. The rest of the time I am pretty active, cleaning my house and chasing my kiddos.

are you sure thats your TDEE with all that exercise? i only ask because i maintain on netting 2000 cals, and only do 3 x strength training (burning 200cals at most) and 1x HIIT which maybe burns 300 per week, apart from a bit of walking i am pretty sedentary as i have a desk job and a big telly!
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options

are you sure thats your TDEE with all that exercise? i only ask because i maintain on netting 2000 cals, and only do 3 x strength training (burning 200cals at most) and 1x HIIT which maybe burns 300 per week, apart from a bit of walking i am pretty sedentary as i have a desk job and a big telly!
    Here is a link to the calculator I use to determine TDEE:

http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator

I am 35, 5' 4", 121 LBs. I classified my 1 hour of cardio as a very heavy and my 1 hour of lifting as Heavy Moderate and I sleep about 10 hours a night.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I don't know, you might need something more extreme to reveal abs if you are already pretty active. I was reading the Vacation Bible Blueprint and it proposes staying relatively lean and then getting super drastic for a bikini vacation. It's not really sustainable, long term, but if you want to check it out it's free, just enter your address here:
    http://vacationbodyblueprint.com/
    he's a proponent of fasted workouts and low-carb. I was thinking of trying it before my vacation to the dominican republic in February...