Fit bit yay or nay?

Options
Hi All!

I'm contemplating getting a fit bit. Does anyone have one or use know? What's it like and what does it really do??? The website just doesn't clarify it all for me.

Replies

• emailcrystalo
    emailcrystalo Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about the same thing!! I have to tell you though - I LOVE my heart rate monitor!! :-) Have you thought of getting one of those?
  • OliveDouglas
    Options
    No, I really don't bother checking my heart rate...
  • emailcrystalo
    Options
    No, I really don't bother checking my heart rate...

My heart rate monitor not only tells me what my heart rate is, it also tells me how many calories I'm burning! It's SO motivating in a workout!! Now I know when I'm turning my body into a furnace, so I watch my heart rate to gage how hard I'm working. It's AMAZING how workouts fly by now that I'm watching that. I tell myself how many calories I want to burn in a workout and I push HARD until I get it. It's so awesome!!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I have one and I love it. It's not a heart rate monitor... it's a pumped up pedometer.

It measures your total steps in a day, calculates your actual calories burned (for just breathing, in addition to activity), tracks and grades your sleep quality.

I find the extra data interesting and the steps motivating... helps me set new goals. It also tracks your elevation change - so gives you credit for taking the stairs.

Love, love, love it.
  • Chrisxytme
    Chrisxytme Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The problem i have been having with my HRM is will stop working briefly overall what i would like to do is calculate calories i burn all day while doing nothing i used my HRM all days and would be surprised. then you subtract your daily burned from the calories from food and the one week i did it i lost almost 4 pounds. I'm thinking of getting a fitbit for that reason.
  • emailcrystalo
    Options
    The problem i have been having with my HRM is will stop working briefly overall what i would like to do is calculate calories i burn all day while doing nothing i used my HRM all days and would be surprised. then you subtract your daily burned from the calories from food and the one week i did it i lost almost 4 pounds. I'm thinking of getting a fitbit for that reason.

I too have done that with my heart rate monitor and fortunately haven't had the problem with it not working...has anyone tried the body bug?? Is it a combined version of a fitbit and a HRM?
  • Chrisxytme
    Chrisxytme Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have the Ironman Timex HRM, i have changed the battery the problem is when i have the hold the strap to my chest to get a reading. It worked fine yesterday and this morning not. I was trying to prove the theory of 3500 calories burned = 1 pound loss. When i wore my HRM all day not while i sleep i would burn 5,000 calories just doing normal daily routine stuff and i limited my self to 1500 calories and when i weighed in i would lose. 8 , .7 consistently. I did this for 5 days then the darn thing stopped registering. So I'm wondering if a Fitbit would work better for that purpose?
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I picked up the BodyMedia Fit just before Thanksgiving and really like it. I was really good about tracking my food for two weeks before Christmas and averaged a 500 calorie or so deficit per day for the two weeks and lost just about 2 lbs. The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't register well with cycling (indoor or out) as far as exercise. I wear a HRM that calculates the calories and for an hour the BodyMedia will give me say 300 calories when the HRM has me over 1000 based on HR. Besides that one thing, I think it is working out really well and I like that it links into MFP seamlessly.

Edit to say that I think FitBit and BodyMedia Fit are similar products and provide the same type of data along with the BodyBug so my comments can be taken as my experience with a "all day activity/calorie burn monitor".
  • elescott
    elescott Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've used a Polar HRM when exercising for years and just got a Fit Bit for Christmas. So far I love it! It is very motivating. It works great with most day to day activities but if you are lifting weights or on a stationary bike (anything where your HR is up but you are not moving up and down) the HRM is more accurate. The great thing about the FitBit software is that for a period of exercise, you can enter the calorie burn from your HRM (into the FitBit or MFP website/app) and it will override what FitBit counted for that time so you are not double counting (I always go with the my HRM to track workout burn. FitBit also works great with MFP. I use MFP for tracking diet, exercise, progress, and it automatically synchs with the FitBit. On days that I burn a lot of calories (even without working out), FitBit adjusts my calorie allocation for the day so I could eat more if I want to. The FitBit talks wirelessly to my computer (when close by), and better yet, with my iPhone. So, data on the FitBit, iPhone, and computer are always in synch. It can also track your sleep... I really like the "silent" alarm which buzzes on your arm. I researched BodyBug, Nike FuelBand, and a new one called Up. FitBit seemed to be the most proven at this time, IMO. Hope that helps! Now if they would come up with a "put duct tape over your mouth and step away from the cake" feature :-)
  • LFlynnOC
    LFlynnOC Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I got the FitBit last Mother's day and wear it almost every day. I do like the motivation it gives me and the fact that you can set a timer for your workouts to see how many calories you burn. I am glad it links to MFP so I don't have to enter info on two different websites.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    BTW, here is an example of the data you receive in a weekly email, too:

Hi D., here are your weekly stats.
    12/24/2012 to 12/30/2012

WEEK'S MOST ACTIVE DAY Fri, Dec 28
    WEEK'S LEAST ACTIVE DAY Mon, Dec 24

TOTAL STEPS 46,552
    DAILY AVERAGE 6,365 steps
    BEST DAY 14,233 steps
    TOTAL DISTANCE 20.90 miles
    DAILY AVERAGE 3.34 miles
    BEST DAY 6.75 miles
    TOTAL CALS BURNED 19,180
    DAILY AVERAGE 2,840 cals
    BEST DAY 4,229 cals
    CALORIES IN VS OUT-10308

WEEKLY TOTAL
    19180 cals burned
    8872 cals eaten
    WEIGHT CHANGE -8.7 lb

AVG SLEEP DURATION 6 hrs 3 min
    AVG TIMES AWAKENED 19
    AVG TIME TO FALL ASLEEP 0hrs 28min
  • sed1217
    sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit! I also got a HRM for Christmas and need to get to the gym to try it out.
  • roselover58
    roselover58 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I had the Fitbit, and unfortunately it ran away. While I had it, I wore it EVERY day - morning and night. It keeps track of your movement while you are asleep, so you can see where you are not sleeping/moving around so your sleep isn't effective. You have the ability to export that data onto a spreadsheet and I gave it to my doctor. Seems I have sleep apnea...

I have ordered a new one (that ought to tell you I love the thing) - and it has been improved. It now has an alarm built in,where it gently vibrates. You wear it at night with a wristband, so when it vibrates, it wakes you up gently, and doesn't impact your partner.

Pretty cool. Like others, I don't really watch my heart rate (in my opinion,it either is working or it's not...) - I like to keep track of the steps and the elevations. It tells you what your best is, and it accumulates as well.

ttfn!
  • SabrinaLeeBee
    Options
    I have a fitbit and have been using it for over 6 months...even when I wasn't monitoring ANYTHING else, the fitbit helped me make sure that I was at least moving every day. I love information, and the fitbit gives a lot of stats to work with.

My only complaint is that some exercises (wii fit, yoga) aren't monitored adequately to reflect in the calories burnt section...other than that, I would recommend one to anyone curious about their progress and looking to make changes.