Ladies - the topic we all dread

Options
Joanitude
Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
Are any of you doing any sort of swimming or water aerobics? Please share with me your thoughts about what to wear. Many women are not comfortable in a bathing suit - at 300+ it is even more so. What do you do? Where one anyway, have a shirt/shorts set?

Replies

• pinky_pie
    Options
    I totally would do water aerobics if I didn't have to deal with my panic/anxiety. I've never cared what I look like in a bathing suit. I'm there to get fit!
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I do water aerobics 3x a week plus usually add a couple warm water classes too. It was the first suit I've worn in 20+ years. I was a bit leery about being in public (380 when I started) but decided I want going to worry about it and I never have...not for a minute. I don't even cover up between the locker room and the pool. My first suit was a two pc whose top was long enough to cover my belly. One pieces are better for class. I now have a one piece with a skirt which fits nicely and provides good support.

Don't let your discomfort stop you from the pool.. The classes are good fun and a good workout.

You can do this!!!
  • Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Ok...so much for that excuse :)

Now to see if I can find classes that work into my schedule - that will be the tricky part.
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I buy my suits on line at Romans or Woman Within or One Stop Plus I signed up for their emails and get coupons regularly Most of the people in my WA are Big but we are all there to get help I wear skirted suits or swim dresses. Most importantly u will want to look for a 0degree entry into the pool or stairs I started WA in the Summer of 2011 and didn't have the strength to pull myself up the ladder till this last month.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I get my suits through the same sources as RaNae.
  • Highlanderlover
    Options
    I love swimming and doing anything in the water.
    I have a bathing suit which i do wear sometimes, but most of the time i just wear my bathing suit bottoms and then i just wear a tank top. Way more comfortable for me!
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I swam for the first few months of my weight loss before switching to Zumba. I also got my swimsuits from Woman Within and OneStopPlus (you can ALWAYS find a coupon code online so that you don't pay full price, which was wonderful).

What I have noticed at my gyms (I go to several 24 Hour Fitness locations) is that the people in the pool section of the gym seem way more into what they are doing and not looking at everyone else compared to what goes on in the machine area, group class rooms, and weight area. Going to my Zumba class is like performing on a stage because you are being looked at by others in the class and people staring into the room (through the semi-obnoxious all glass windows LOL). I've really had to "fake it 'til I make it" with the whole self-confidence thing, because I really love to dance and want to be social. It gets easier with time :flowerforyou:
  • quiggley
    quiggley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have found that I feel more comfortable in my swimsuit by wearing a sportsbra underneath I always worried about falling out. They do not hold classes at the Y in winter since the Pools are outside and I have been debating paying for another Gym just to be able to have classes now.
    I agree with others have said once you are in the water people just concentrate on themselves and are not watching you-- well there are always jerks out there but you cannot let them have control over your emotions.
  • eys81
    eys81 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I usually wear a swim suit with mens swims trunks over the bottom. Although it doesn't look that great I feel covered and comfortable enough to go. I get my suits from OneStopPlus, which is just a site that has the other stores mentioned (romans, woman within, etc.) all in one place.

I haven't been in a long time but look forward to going back in the next couple weeks because it is so much fun.
  • Dianescraps
    Options
    I would love to do them, but can't justify the pricing my local YMCA has. I have never let my shape in a bathing suit upset me (I put on a coverup outside the pool) I love the water, always have.

I do have a hot tub at home and I will frequently do stretching in it, it's not big enough for action aerobics though.
  • PineLaurel
    Options
    MIB (Making It Big) - makingitbig.com has swimsuits that are swimshorts with a tank top. The tank top is long and covers up my belly. Also, Junonia has nice suits. Both of this stores are higher priced but the suits are very well made and long lasting.
  • alanabanana01
    alanabanana01 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I do water aerobics twice a week and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them! I go early and jog in the deep end for 20 minutes before class! I weigh 320. I got my suits at women within and roamans like ranae
    I got a dress looking one that I am comfortable in BUT WARNING!!!! any thing too lose like that will float up while you are exercising! Luckily I have one with a belt that I am ever so grateful for
    I did not wear the belt at my first class and spent half the time holding my suit down!

I also have a tank and boardshorts combo.

I would swim naked if that was the only way to do it---I just love going!