Pedometer Users

Options
umer76
umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
Does anyone uses pedometer to count the everyday steps? I just saw an app runtastic pedmoter on fitnesspal and just wanted to give it a try. I wonder if anyone else has some good or bad experience with it. Yesterday I walked 3500 steps.

Replies

• Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I've had one for a couple of weeks, but had only used it when I purposely went for a walk or out somewhere that I knew I would get a lot of walking in. Just this morning, for the first time I put mine on to track everyday steps - just to see how many steps I take in a normal day. I'm an unemployed desk junkie, so I'm not so sure it will be any different than my working days (which I hope to see again very soon)!
  • umer76
    Options
    Today I am aiming to do 5000 steps. What is the maximum steps you have been doing? Do you see the good use of this pedometer?
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I really don't remember the most I've done. I bought a very cheap one - like $5 from Walmart, so I don't see how it can hurt. Like I said, I've only put mine on today to measure a whole days steps though. I'm only at 600 today, but I didn't put it on right away and took it off when I exercised for almost an hour! So, I'm not doing so good today. I think it will make you more conscious to move more, for sure. It already is for me anyway! Good luck with your goal for the day. If I remember, I'll try to get back to you tomorrow and let you know how I did. I do have to go out and about after a bit, so it should get better!
  • Kfields09
    Options
    I aim for 12,000 to 15,000 a day. Some days it is tough but it does motivate me to get up and move.
  • Tojsmom
    Tojsmom Posts: 51
    Options
    I use an app on my cell phone called Accupedo & I really like it. I make sure to always have my cell phone in my pocket all the time. Before putting this app on my cell phone I had tried one from Walmart & it wasn't accurate.
  • umer76
    Options
    I aim for 12,000 to 15,000 a day. Some days it is tough but it does motivate me to get up and move.

Wow thats lot of walking. How long does it take you to do 15000 steps? I did 5000 today and I think on average it took me 10 minutes for 1000 steps. Is it reasonable? I think I have walked may be 50 minutes today.
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I use a fit bit and love it, started at @3000 per day and can easily get up over 5000 before doing any actual "exercise". Just a few steps farther from the office, the store, etc. 10 minutes for 1000 steps sounds about right for a medium paced walk.
  • doin_it
    doin_it Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I never go anywhere without mine..I aim for 10,000+ steps each day and most days have no problem reaching that goal!
  • umer76
    Options
    I never go anywhere without mine..I aim for 10,000+ steps each day and most days have no problem reaching that goal!

Are you using the app or an actual pedometer? Which one are you using?

By the way I have done 6000 steps today and this is not including walking in the office because I am only carrying my phone with me when I am going out of the office.
  • katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

By the way I have done 6000 steps today and this is not including walking in the office because I am only carrying my phone with me when I am going out of the office.

I'm using a fitbit - this is my 2nd year. I really love it. While I'm waiting for my smoothie to blend, I'll run in place for a minute, while I'm waiting in line at the post office I'll walk in place.....stupid silly little things like that all add up. I aim for 10,000 steps a day and come very close if not over. There is also a fitbit app which I link to MFP so I always know how many cals in vs. cals out.

Overall, I think the fitbit has helped me change my lifestyle more than anything. I have definately eased into it for the first year, and now I find reasons to move so I can get to my goal.

Best of luck to you!

Good luck.
  • doin_it
    doin_it Posts: 414 Member
    Options

I use an acutal pedometer..it is a sportline one from Walmart. Works really well and is quite inexpensive.
    Great work on your steps...:)
  • umer76
    Options
    I use an acutal pedometer..it is a sportline one from Walmart. Works really well and is quite inexpensive.
    Great work on your steps...:)
    [/quote]

How much did you buy it for? I looked at Amazon and prices start from $20 to 100$. I am not sure which one to buy. I did 9500 steps yesterday, I am really happy. I actually like the pedometer app but having an actual pedometer will count more steps for me and perhaps more accurately.
  • gnoccola
    gnoccola Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit too and can't be more happy. It actually reminds me to get up and walk more. I have a goal of 10,000+ every day and I wouldn't do it without my pedometer.
    I think the most I've reached is over 30,000 after Sandy going from Brooklyn to Manhattan by foot and back plus lots of walking in the city without power.
  • umer76
    Options
    At this stage 10000+ steps everyday looks like a big number to me. May be in a few weeks time I might reach there:)
  • bobbiesinger6971
    Options
    I use, love, and am addicted to my fitbit. I try for 12,000 steps a day.
  • umer76
    Options
    I use, love, and am addicted to my fitbit. I try for 12,000 steps a day.
    I agree pedometer becomes an addiction and the user actively tries to take more and more steps. I think it is a very good addiction. I did 10,500 steps on Thursday and I felt good about it. Currently I am using pedometer app but I will order the actual meter so the steps taken in the office also count. Some days I go to the printer may be 20 times in a day and to other offices, I am not counting these steps currently.
  • lolomama_
    lolomama_ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use a pedometer. At first I only used it to "exercise" but now I wear it most of the day and try for 10000 steps per day. I am actually more active on the weekends when I am doing errands than I am at work so I average 5ooo-6000 steps per day at work and then 11000 - 12000 per day on weekends. My goal is to get to 70000 steps per week and just keep building on it. I'm using a sportline and it cost about $29 but has lasted me 3 years.
  • SabineHansen
    SabineHansen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Are you using the Runtastisc app? I have just downloaded it but I am a little confused about wether or not to "press start" and keep it running all day.
  • umer76
    Options
    Are you using the Runtastisc app? I have just downloaded it but I am a little confused about wether or not to "press start" and keep it running all day.
    I am using runtastic pedometer app. Press start dont worry:smile: Depending on the phone battery you can keep it running whole day but problem with apple phones is that battery goes out quickly. You can pause the app whenever you put the phone on chargning or not walking. When you start walking again resume the app. Initially app is good but to measure the correct number of phones actual pedometer is required that really counts your each step. But as a start use the app and then you will see how much you like it or not.
  • SabineHansen
    SabineHansen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. Of course I forgot to start it this morning, but havent been doing much either so I will start it know and see how many steps I can make today.