First trip to the grocery store...

Options
AuntieKT
AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
I am in line at the grocery store right now following my first paleo shopping experience. Man, that was kind of difficult. There is sugar EVERYWHERE! Does anyone have any tips or tricks to make this whole experience a little easier? What are your go to easy foods that are also easy to make?

Replies

• ajwolters
    Options
    Meat, seafood, produce, eggs. Don't even look down the center aisles unless you need paper products or cleaning supplies. Though I must say, when I shopped last night, I did go hunting for almond flour, coconut oil, and dried coconut so I can make some tasty paleo treats.

I make really simple meals since I hate to cook. I also like to make a huge batch of paleo veggie soup to put in freezer boxes to take to work for lunch a couple times a week. Tonight, I'm doing a huge pan of chicken breast coated in olive oil and sprinkled with a little salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese. When it comes out of the oven and cools, I cut it into little bits to put on salads for work lunches. About 4oz to a bag and in the freezer they go.

I also freeze my own strawberries - just cut the tops off, cut them in half, and put in little containers in the freezer. Can't ever find them without sugar or other stuff added in the frozen section. I also hate grocery shopping, so I don't want to go for fresh berries every few days.

Dinner tonight will be sauteed chicken breast, portabella mushrooms, and zucchini on a bed of romaine with roma tomato. Last night was a really simple taco salad - just ground beef, onion, romaine, tomato, and cheese.
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Not buying prepackaged "foods" makes things much easier. So if you were to look at my shopping cart, it's usually very simple and a lot of repeat stuff. It's not hard if you stick to the basics. But you've made a huge first step by simply becoming aware.

I was shocked to find the brand of bacon I've gotten for a while began adding sugar, so it pays just to glance now and again, too.
  • AuntieKT
    Options
    These are all great ideas. I am the same kind of person who, if I like it, I can just eat it every day. I plan on making my meat for the week ahead of time now on like you suggested. Keep the simple ideas coming.
  • lguy29
    lguy29 Posts: 131
    Options
    If they are available, try going to more organic/fair trade friendly stores, like Sprouts, Fresh & Easy, Dave's, Trader Joe's, etc. I also hate going to the grocery store and cooking raw meat, so I'm buying pre-cooked, unseasoned chicken and beef, frozen veggies and fruit, eggs, and raw/unsalted nuts in big bags. Since the stores are smaller and more speciality, you should be able to find what you need easier! Good luck, I just started too :)
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I made the swirly crust less quiche from practical paleo. Good for all week. I made paleomg.com chicken tortilla soup for all my lunches with a salad.
  • JasonKoverman
    JasonKoverman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I second what has already been mentioned about staying out of the middle aisles. The only things I get from those aisles are water, nuts, tuna and spices. I make really easy meals during the week and I always make double portions so that I have lunch the next day. Baked chicken breasts and pork chops with steamed veggies. Mix it up on the weekends when there is more time. For breakfast we either have bacon and eggs or my wife makes breakfast casseroles that we can divy up and refrigerate for the week. Living primal/paleo is not that hard, it just takes some time to adjust. As for eating organic, this is of course a great idea...if its readily available and you can afford it. I wish we had a Trader Joes (keeping fingers crossed). Anyways, if you are like me and cannot afford grass fed meats, at least buy your meats from local stores and butchers as its usually cleaner. Anyways, I have rambled on long enough. Good luck with Paleo! Its totally worth it!
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The most delicious chicken ever (IMO): Pan fried coconut chicken: Cut chicken breasts in half (to make them thin, so fillet style), dredge in a raw egg and then coat with unsweetened coconut flakes and whatever spices you like, pan fry on medium heat in coconut oil... SUPER delicious, and when cold it tastes like fried chicken! mmm mmm mmm, my hubby (who is not primal/paleo) LOVES this recipe and asks for it every week! Super easy and delicious, just be sure to cook it over medium so the coconut doesn't burn before the chicken is done. I have a pinterest page just for primal recipes I find that I like, that way I can find them easily and discard the ones I don't like. Also, I'll make big batches of soup and freeze them in quart ziplocs in dinner size portions for super quick weekday meals!
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out with paleo, consider creating meal plans and building a list from there. Not only prevents the stress of 'what am I going to eat?' but everyone knows shopping from a list saves money. Google 'paleo meal plan' for ideas. Create a plan you keep on the fridge such as this one a quick google search turned up http://www.theprojectgirl.com/2009/01/19/menu-planning-form-free-download/ It will help to plan batch cooking as well.

It's shocking the first time shopping from a paleo mindset ... what IS all this stuff, kinda went through my mind! And *sugar* (glucose-fructose), oh yes, it's truly in everything.
  • songbirdtree
    Options
    Totally agree!! I just did my first shopping trip today and wish there was an iPhone app where you could type on a product, and it tells you whether it's paleo or not.
  • IAmABetterMe
    IAmABetterMe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I made the swirly crust less quiche from practical paleo. Good for all week. I made paleomg.com chicken tortilla soup for all my lunches with a salad.

Oh I made the swirly quiche also.... It's YUMMY... I added some hotsauce for a kick
  • AuntieKT
    Options
    Totally agree!! I just did my first shopping trip today and wish there was an iPhone app where you could type on a product, and it tells you whether it's paleo or not.

OMG, there totally is! It's called Paleo Central. I downloaded it last week and that is exactly how it works! Check it out!
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    LOL WHUT?

If it's meat or veggie, go for it. I don't see how it's so complicated. An APP?
  • AuntieKT
    Options
    LOL WHUT?

If it's meat or veggie, go for it. I don't see how it's so complicated. An APP?

When you are new to something, you tend to question all your decisions. I was looking for a peanut butter alternative and next to the almond butter, there was some made out of sunflower seeds. I used the app to see if that would be a paleo choice or not. It just helps to reassure yourself that you are indeed making the right choices.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    agreed the whole perimeter, meat, vegtables, eggs, fruit, then nuts sometimes are in aisles ....as well as coconut and coconut oil, etc.....but for the most part all along the perimeter and frozen veggies and fruit too
  • jennaworksout
    Options

OMG, there totally is! It's called Paleo Central. I downloaded it last week and that is exactly how it works! Check it out!

oh i need that app....sometimes I have questions too :happy:
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options

I use one called Only Paleo that does exactly that. I use it on Android but I'm pretty sure I saw they have an iphone version
  • ethelapple
    Options
    I totally rely on lots and lots of eggs and egg whites and recipes that call for eggs...but then again, we have our own chickens.
    I also cook in bulk so I don't have to think about cooking every day, every meal....and paleo friendly products are sometimes easier to find at speciality stores like Trader Joe's..Good luck!!
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    I totally rely on lots and lots of eggs and egg whites and recipes that call for eggs...but then again, we have our own chickens.
    I also cook in bulk so I don't have to think about cooking every day, every meal....and paleo friendly products are sometimes easier to find at speciality stores like Trader Joe's..Good luck!!

this too, I just cooked all my breakfasts and lunches for this week yesterday....makes it much easier, why didnt I do this before!! :laugh:
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I buy a lot of stuff in bulk when I can - when things like chicken or turkey go on sale I stock up and then put it into smaller packages via vacuum sealer -

I agree with others about not needing to go down the isles of the grocery stores (although i have kids so I have to take a turn down)

I try and keep my pantry stocked with some basics - like tuna and canned salmon, coconut oil, diced chilis, sundried tomato, kalamata olives, curry pastes (check ingrediates) - I am a spice ho - spices can add so much to something simple.

while I do like my fresh veggies I do try and keep some packages of steam fresh veggies (although it is getting harder and harder to find just PLAIN without some sort of sauce added to it) - I steam them in the microwave and then add them to a pan that I have cooked up some meat and season - bam quick easy meal.

Soups and stews are great to cook up and eat off of for a few days. I just did up some pork carnitas last night
    http://kaitsprimalkitchen.blogspot.com/2011/08/cuh-razy-crock-pot-carnitas.html

I have leftovers for lunch - yummmm

I did up these for my grab and go for breakfast all this week
    http://shanaandadam.blogspot.com/2012/05/eat-clean-my-egg-white-muffins.html

I did up a big container of my faux tabuoli - I love this and it takes all my strength not to eat it all

1 head of cauliflower - riced
    1 cucumber - diced
    1 package of grape or cherry tomatoes - cut in half or thirds depending on size
    1 bunch of parsley - diced small - I used one of those food choppers
    1/2 jar of kalamata olives cut into thirds (or more if you really like olives)
    1 bunch of green onions - bottom 1/3rd diced - you can also use diced red onion
    salt - a few dashes - or in my case I use sea salt so a few twists
    mix all of the above together until incorporated

take the juice of 2 large lemons and add equal amount of EVOO and mix together - i.e. if you get 1/2 cup of juice add 1/2 cup of EVOO and mix together. I usually get about 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup of lemon juice from my lemon.

Add liquid and mix well. Let sit in fridge for a few hours to meld flavors and eat up.