Gastric Bypass Success Rate

Options
annwyatt69
annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
Just saw a post on the regular forum where someone stated that GB patients have a 5% success rate. I think you would have to look at the definition of success. Maybe some don't lose ALL the weight they need to, or some gain some weight back, etc. I think, though, that if health is improved and a major amount of weight is lost you have achieved success. I would think that it would be maybe 5% failure rate instead. Just my feelings on the subject. Those of us who have had it done know what we have to do to make it work. Granted, some surgeries can just plain fail, but for most of us we are success stories.

Replies

• FuzzieJelly
    FuzzieJelly Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Just saw a post on the regular forum where someone stated that GB patients have a 5% success rate. I think you would have to look at the definition of success. Maybe some don't lose ALL the weight they need to, or some gain some weight back, etc. I think, though, that if health is improved and a major amount of weight is lost you have achieved success. I would think that it would be maybe 5% failure rate instead. Just my feelings on the subject. Those of us who have had it done know what we have to do to make it work. Granted, some surgeries can just plain fail, but for most of us we are success stories.

Not sure where or who said the success rate for GB was 5%...I'm pretty sure that is wrong! Check it out:

http://voices.yahoo.com/success-rates-gastric-bypass-surgery-6434540.html

I know that the DS (which is what I had done in October) has an article of the success rate in here:

http://thebariatricsurgeryresource.com/duodenal-switch/success-rates/

Hope this clears up any confusion.
  • annwyatt69
    Options
    Thanks. Yes I know that there is a much higher success rate than 5%. I wouldn't have had the surgery with those statistics!
    (And hey, I noticed you aren't on my "friends" any more. What happened? I miss seeing your posts!
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options

Rubbish. You will find that, outside of the surgery support groups, the rest of MFP people think very poorly of WLS members. They usually invent statistics and use anecdotal evidence from someone they "knew" who either died, never lost weight, or gained it all back. They have a firm belief that their methods are the only correct way to lose weight, and are not tolerant of those who consider surgery.

A successful outcome for surgery is losing 60-70 percent of excess body weight for RNY and VSG patients, and 40-50 percent for those choosing the band. There is less than one percent death rate from all causes, which is far better than the death rate for those who remain super morbidly obese long term. I am sure that detractors have a very different definition of success.

I wouldn't listen to anyone outside of the WLS forums. Remember, the vast majority of those people are extremely gung ho about fitness, but after a few months of being forum experts, they will have gone back to their own bad habits, regained their weight, and disappeared.
  • annwyatt69
    Options
    Absolutely. My hope is that someone who is morbidly obese who may be reading these posts in the forums doesn't take these negative posts about wls as legit. I would hate for someone who could be helped to choose against it because of someone's idiocy. And yes, as wls success stories ourselves (assuming we are and will be!) we see success in a different light than others do. I am not looking for a beach bikini body. Heck, I didn't have that when I was 18 and size 5. I just want to be healthy and be able to enjoy my life. For many of us, that is far more important than how we look. The smaller clothes and better looks are an added bonus!
  • ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The wls haters is the reason I stay off the main boards and only post on this board. I dont need the negativity or people telling me I took the easy way out. I have worked to hard and dont consider anything that I have accomplished easy!! I am proud of all of my wls friends who have taken the step to regain control of their bodies and their lives!
  • annwyatt69
    Options
    The wls haters is the reason I stay off the main boards and only post on this board. I dont need the negativity or people telling me I took the easy way out. I have worked to hard and dont consider anything that I have accomplished easy!! I am proud of all of my wls friends who have taken the step to regain control of their bodies and their lives!

For this there needs to be a "like" button! :)
  • kasmusic3PA
    kasmusic3PA Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with everyone whose has replied. When dieting or choosing to have WLS it is very personal and an individual
    choice. Many of us have chose WLS because of many important reasons, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, arthritis of different degrees, fibromyalgia, or morbid obesity. No one has the right to tell anyone what is good for them as individuals we know and sometimes it takes a while to realize how important being healthy is. It is not just about exercising or dieting alone, it is a combination of being physically and mentally being prepared to handle our new lifestyle, yes it is a lifestyle change and no matter what WLS surgery you elect to have it is a tool to us become healthy. The success rate is much better than the negative jellies are saying and everyday that there is a new success story the statistics grow even higher. These fitness gurus need to do some much needed research before they shoot off there mouths and voice negative opinions that could save many lives with WLS. I had my RNY surgery on September 11, 2012 and since May 2012 I have lost 87 pounds and feel absolutely fabulous and if I had to do it again I would do it ina heartbeat. This is my success story so far and I will have many more successes in the up coming months. Don't let the uneducated people make up your minds, do your reasearch and talk to the professionals about this life changing decision.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    That is definitely BS. I have been in the WLS community over 5 years now. Numbers I usually hear are that on average, lap banders will lose 50% of excess weight, sleeve 60%, RNY 70%, and DS 80%. I had RNY 4.33 years ago and have gone from a BMI of 53 (339 pounds) to a BMI of 21 (135 pounds). I have maintained my weight for over 3 years now. There are a lot more just like me out there.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I agree about the WLS haters being wrong. I have heard from several friends \ acquaintances that WLS surgery is the 'EASY' way out. Well since I have the Lapband and follow my doctors advice - it is not easy. I have to track my food and my exercise. But it is a tool I use. I have also lost 57% of my excess body weight!!! So it can be done - just is not an 'easy' thing. It still takes work. But since I chose to have WLS - I will be working hard to lose most of the excess weight... (if not all)
  • Barbara2420
    Barbara2420 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Amen!!
  • wheresheidi
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I just had the gastric bypass on the 3rd & am looking forward to some serious results. :flowerforyou:
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    5% success rate is absolute BS. Come on, now, you'd think most intelligent, sane people would know better, even if they DO feel like WLS is "wrong" in some way.

All these stupid anecdotes about "my sister-in-law's cousin's-friend's dad had it done and got so sick and gained all the weight back, so therefore it doesn't work" are all BS.

People who have not been through it have NO IDEA what kind of thought and work it takes to come to the decision to have these surgeries, and ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what kind of work it takes afterwards to make the surgery work.

Sorry to say, while I have empathy for a lot of the people that surgery hasn't worked for, I have a lot of trouble garnering sympathy for them, because the honest truth is, barring TRUE complications beyond their control, there is something that THEY are doing and/or not doing that is causing their own failure.

You MUST change your behavior. That's the bottom line. Your WLS will not do the work or you. It is there as a foundation for you to build on. If you build your tower with mashed potatoes and ice cream and excuses, welp, that tower will certainly fall. And if you are unable to see the excuses for what they are, you only have yourself to blame.

I had the lap band just over one year ago. I have lost 84 pounds since the day I went to the surgeon for my consult (had lost some with just the nutritionist before that). According to my surgeon, I have lost TWICE my predicted average weight loss for someone with my amount of weight to lose with the lap band.

Maybe I won't lose anymore, I can't say. But I sure as heck won't be gaining it back. I've learned how to be at peace with food, and while it is still a struggle sometimes, I know how to get it back on track now. THAT is the key that WLS helped me to fit into the lock. And if anyone wants to tell me I did it the "wrong" way, or just pushed some "easy" button, well, honestly, they can think what they want, I don't need to justify or explain anything to them, and they can quote all the pseudo-statistic they want to try to make themselves feel better for doing it the "right" way, whatever the heck that is, it won't change what I already know.

Pshhh!
  • smokeywolf57
    Options
    I would not listen to any one outside of the WLS boards because they just do not understand us who have had the surgery.

I had my bypass 5/9/12 and I have lost almost 90 lbs and I am doing everything I can to reach my goal and I am over half way there.

people say that surgery is the easy way out but I think it is 1 of the hardest things to do. harder then regular weight loss because you look at what we have to go through to get to a certain point. food, exercise, daily struggles is what we have to live with for the rest of our lives.
  • meangrl29
    meangrl29 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve surgery 2 years ago. I needed to lose 100lbs. lost 75 in 1st 6 months. then it went downhill. I never even realized the emotional relationship I had with food. I just thought I liked to eat. I was so depressed about not being able to overeat that I began eating candy and high fatty foods almost constantly. The loss of being able to eat what I wanted & how much I wanted felt like a death in the family. I had remorse over my surgery. I didnt want to talk to people about it b/c I didnt want to recommend it to anyone. I gained back 35lbs.
    It took me 1 1/2 years to realize I wasn't depressed because I couldn't overeat anymore. I was using food as a coping mechanism for all of my day to day stresses. I never stopped doing that after the surger. I just found a different way to do it.
    I am back on track & eating what I am supposed to & I am sooooo thankful that I had my surgery because it is so much easier, even the 2nd time around. before surgery I would diet & exercise & feel so hopeless because the results were so slow & one little slip would cause me to gain back the 1-2 lbs I worked so hard to lose.
    I worked so hard & waited so long for insurance and dr's to get this tool & I finally appreciate it.
    I would recommend WLS. It works as long as you let it.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    If the success rate was only 5% I doubt the insurance companies would be approving this!
  • JusDoinDis
    JusDoinDis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi my name in Indy and I'm currently thinking about having Gastric Bypass but I'm scared to death. I have so many health issues and I my doctors keep telling me how much the procedure will help me not to mention add years to my life. I don't deny that one bit. In June I began going to the center in my area and met with the doctors. I have made up my mind to lose this weight there's no doubt about that and since June I had lost 40 lbs doing portion control and an additional 20 lbs since I joined this site December 22, 2012. I have lost 60 lbs on my own and kept it off and I'm proud of that but in a way I want to do the surgery and in another way I don't. I know I have to make the decision myself. My problem is that I have questions and the few friends I have that had it and lost weight don't talk about it nor do they want to and that leaves me even more terrified. Right now I'm awaiting a few more of my doctors approval before a surgery date can be set. I'd love to have friends that can help me understand what I'm about to do, I mean I know the details but once I come to I don't know what to expect and if I knew I'd feel more comfortable about it. I just don't want to have any regrets about doing it once it's done.

As far as the success rate goes, I see a lot of losers and that's a beautiful thing!
  • JusDoinDis
    JusDoinDis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your post it was very helpful to me. I'm in the process of having WLS but awaiting all of my doctors approval and your story was very helpful because I am terrified and worried about after the surgery is done.
  • Mystismom
    Options
    I agree with everything you said! I'm not sure why people are so vocal about their feeelings against WLS -fear? Ignorance? I had a bypass in May 2010 at 391 lbs. I lost 130 pounds and still have 100 or so. The surgery is a tool, one that has changed my life! Not only am I healthier, I look and feel better and my confidence level is through the roof! I have had some non -related health issues and haven't done all I need to as far as excercize and eating properly.I am continuing to see my nutritionist and have joined this site to help me get back on track.Anyone considering WLS should get their info from their doctor. It is an individual decision and should be an informed one!
  • dorky_kelly
    dorky_kelly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The non-surgical weight loss physician I went to said that people who DIDN'T use WLS only had a 5% success rate. I think somebody got their numbers mixed up.
  • meangrl29
    meangrl29 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't listen to anyone outside of the WLS community concerning my surgery or my health after surgery. They don't have any idea. The friends & coworkers with opinions on WLS haven't researched anything. they don't have a clue what's involved. I even had to explain to my family physician that the sleeve is not a device like the lap band because he keeps trying to give me extended release medications. Your surgeon should have you talk with a counselor before surgery. they can answer all questions & tell you things you didn't even think of. I don't know why so many people don't want to admit they've had WLS. I had a few friends that were very open about it & helpful. another even went to the same surgeon as me & 2 years later she still refuses to admit she had surgery. I feel like: if you lie to people they will get false hope that it is easy to shed 100lbs in a year & it just isn't. also, people who judge think WLS is the easy way out. it's been anything but easy. it's still hard work. i still have to exercise. I have to watch what I eat now more than ever.