Marine Corps Marathon

Options
BenBz
BenBz Posts: 46 Member
Who's done it? Thought's on the race and course. I've already got March 27th (registration day) on my calendar!

Thanks and Happy Running!
Ben

Replies

• bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    How exciting for you Ben!!

I have never done it, but I have several friends who have, and loved it. I hear it is a great course, experience, everything.
    I think one of the potential issues is weather, I know a few friends who ran it in snow/ice/freezing weather, although I'm sure that is not the norm.

Happy running!!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I plan to register!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I did it. It was my first marathon. The course is well supported in most areas. Good crowds.

There are some sneaky hills in the first part of the race. Crossing over the bridge into Crystal City around mile 20 was not real fun for me. It seems like a very slight elevation change, but it felt pretty severe.

The finish is like straight up a hill. Very steep, very painful.

It's a long walk from the train station to the start line.

Leaving the race absolutely sucks *kitten*. I finished in 3:38, so I was in the top 10% or so of finishers and I still had to wait for the second train to come through to get on the subway. I have heard of people waiting for well over an hour on the platform to get on a train. If you are going to be in the 4+ hour range, be prepared for that.

I won't do it again.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I ran MCM in 2009 but I believe that they have since changed the course a bit. From what I remember it was fairly flat course with lots of support. Also a LOT of runners, something like 18,000 marathon-ers... so be prepared to be elbowed a bit if you're the middle-of-the-pack runner, like me. Overall it was a great marathon and I would definitely do it again.

CarsonRuns is right. Leaving the race took a while. We waited something like 2 hours (maybe more?) for a taxi because we thought it would be faster. It wasn't. If you can have a plan for someone to pick you up after the race, you'd be doing yourself a big favor.

Other than leaving the race, everything else about the MCM was absolutely wonderful experience.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I had an entry for 2012, but I could swing it, so I sold the entry.

Last year it sold out in under 3 hours. I just happened to check my FB at the right time and saw some people talking about it. They do offer a bib transfer, so there is really no risk to entering as demand far exceeds supply.

I don't know the area, but as an out of towner I would try to get a hotel that isn't too far from the finish.
  • ClarkWierda
    ClarkWierda Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I ran the last one and enjoyed it greatly. It is my current marathon PR, but my PR is over 6 hours as I'm a slooow runner.

It was great running by the various monuments and the capitol bulding. As it is a Marine Corps event, the finish is up hill. But you finish in front of the Iwo Jima Memorial, so that provides some motivation.

The walk to the start is long, but wasn't too bad. My hotel was just over the hill from the finish, so getting back wasn't too bad.

It sells out VERY quickly with over 32,000 runners.

I hope it works out for you.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to do it this year, but I'm local. I'm having my husband to drop me off and pick me up (probably across the bridge in Georgetown- he works in Gtown and has parking.) If I were coming in from out of town I would plan to stay at the Key Bridge Marriott and not worry about it. If you need a lift, (or if anyone else does, for that matter) pm me and we will stay in touch between now and October.
  • xnic
    xnic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I ran it three times (2002, 2006, 2012) and it's one of my favorite marathons. I recommend it. The best part are the Marines who are on the course cheering you on and also at the finish line putting the medal around your neck. You may already know but this year it took less than 3 hours to fill up all 30,000 entries.
  • xnic
    xnic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, they changed the course this year. It's better than what it used to be in my opinion. I agree with you, everything about it is great. Even running during hurricane Sandy this year was fun.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I did it. It was my first marathon. The course is well supported in most areas. Good crowds.

There are some sneaky hills in the first part of the race. Crossing over the bridge into Crystal City around mile 20 was not real fun for me. It seems like a very slight elevation change, but it felt pretty severe.

The finish is like straight up a hill. Very steep, very painful.

It's a long walk from the train station to the start line.

Leaving the race absolutely sucks *kitten*. I finished in 3:38, so I was in the top 10% or so of finishers and I still had to wait for the second train to come through to get on the subway. I have heard of people waiting for well over an hour on the platform to get on a train. If you are going to be in the 4+ hour range, be prepared for that.

I won't do it again.

I will do it again as I enjoyed the race except for the impending Hurricane Sandy which made for tricky weather for me but this is right on concerning the getting too and leaving the finish area aspect. When I do it again i will make sure I have time to enjoy the finish area so I don't feel like I have to wait for the metro to get away, as it was we practically had to run back to our hotel to get to the airport in time for our cancelled flight.
  • BenBz
    BenBz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    These are all wonderful and insightful replies! I got a spot and am looking forward to training for and racing the 37th Annual MCM!