Is April 20th too soon for a 5K?

Options
TXBelle1174
TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
I started C25K last year but had to stop due to a foot injury and I just never got back in the swing of it. I want to start again and thought that maybe if I signed up for a 5K, that would motivate me to get it in gear. There is a 5K (Fun Run) that I am interested in participating in on April 20th. I am a total beginner and would be starting from scratch. The majority of my exercise comes from housework, outdoor projects and gardening/landscaping, and horseback riding. For those of you that are further along with this program, do you think it would be possible to be ready by then?

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I think you should be OK. Just take it easy and listen to your body. You have enough time to complete the program and then some. Good luck!!
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I've heard that fun runs are great for beginners. Usually they are set up as run/walks... So, yes, you should be good by then!

I finished my c25k program in December, being able to run for 30 minutes straight. The problem is that my speed is slow, so it took me a few extra weeks to build up to being able to run the 5k distance. I did this for the first time last friday night in 43 minutes. My goal is to reduce this time to under 35 minutes for my first race in March. My hubby thinks that I'll be able to be running 8-10k distances by then... but we'll just have to wait and see.

My ultimate goal is to be running 5ks under 30 minutes, and being able to run a 1/2 marathon by the end of the year. Not bad for someone who just a few short months ago swore that she hated sweating!
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I say absolutely! I started the program at the end of June and did my first 5k at the end of August. It was slow going and I walked some of it, but I still did it! Signing up for a 5k is wonderful motivation to run and keep at it. I've done a 5k every month since then, and I have another on January 19th (brrr!) and I am signed up for a 10k in March! I think that if I didn't have these races to look forward to, I would probably be slacking off big time. That's just how I am.

So since i know I need to tone up and get stronger (not just run), I also signed up for the Warrior Dash in September....I'm so nervous! But it's the best way to get my butt in gear :laugh:
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Can you walk 5km? (3.1 miles) if so then you will be able to finish a 5k. I started the c25k in september and having repeated a couple of weeks could run 30mins straight after 11 weeks, an extra week for luck and then ran my first 5km 12 weeks after starting to run.

I ran my first just before Christmas sub 40mins, if I can do it, then you should be ok. Take it gentle and you should have time. ( I started last Jan at 294lb, now about 240lb)