TO METFORMIN, OR NOT METFORMIN THAT IS THE QUESTION

Options
StephieF87
StephieF87 Posts: 60 Member
Cheesy title I know... But I am in a cheesy kind of a mood lol

So I have never taken metformin, I haven't been to the Doctor in about a year. (No health insurance and not to much extra cash to spend) I was on birth control pills for a few years and that seemed to help with some symptoms but my bp started to elevate so had to get off. At the time my doctor started talking to me about metformin but never prescribed it to me... Should I try to start going back and get metformin... it seems the PCOS systems are getting worse (loosing hair and growing hair where its not wanted :sad: )...and will metformin help with those systems or is a combo of both birth control and metformin needed?? Also is there anything you can take over the counter that will work just as well? Thanks for the help!

Replies

• khloee1
    khloee1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Glad, you asked the question. I have been wondering myself. I also have been off meds for about 7mnths and am feeling it! Losing hair, gaining weight, growing unwanted hair, acne!! :embarassed: I was on Spiro. I would also like to know...To Metformin or Not to Metformin ( love your title..hehe)
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Metformin since April 2012. Here are the changes I have seen:

-Hair stopped falling out at an excessive rate around July 2012. (This makes sense because, sad but true, it takes about two or three months for any changes in your hair to take place due to the life cycle of hair).

-Periods had been non-existent, meaning no ovulation. After upping the dose in July 2012, I immediately ovulated. My cycles then went to two months long, six weeks long, and now a month long.

So, in short, I'm thrilled with it!
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have issues with high blood pressure too. Recently my doctor put me on a low estrogen BC pill. I am also on Spironalactone, which also is used for BP, but has the wonderful side effects of the hair growth slowing and acts as a water pill. Now the Metformin, I have problem taking it consistently. I am trying to, but it tends to upset my stomach. I am about to get it refilled again and try to get in the habit of taking it more often because once I get on it nonstop the upset stomach goes away. I also don't have the issue with thinning hair. Just all the other symptoms. Hope that helps a little.
  • nabzilla_uk
    nabzilla_uk Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been taking metformin 500mg three times a day since about June. I'm not sure that its directly related to my weight loss, but my cycle has been more regular since about august this year. Every so often i experience an upset stomach, but its nothing I can't live with. I think its most useful if your pcos is insulin resistant. The main benefit my doctor explained to me is to reduce my cardiovascular risk in the future. By suffering from pcos i'm automatically more susceptible to suffering from heart disease. I have other symptoms which don't seem to have changed significantly from taking metformin, but i'm not too worried about them.
  • Katy_G2013
    Katy_G2013 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I stopped the Metformin after taking it for nearly 9 years, only not taking it while pregnant past 12 weeks. Currently, I'm choosing not to Metformin because I want to attempt to control my symptoms with the weight loss. Metformin will help your insulin resistance and it does assist in losing weight. It will also help you if you are trying to conceive. I do not use hormonal birth control, I personally never saw that it helped me but it is different for everyone.
  • StephieF87
    Options
    THANKS LADIES! I will get with a doctor and talk to them about it.. sadly around where I live I know more about PCOS then the doctors do :noway:
  • csqurred
    csqurred Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started working out and eating right for a few weeks without taking metformin and did not see much difference on the scales then once I started taking it on a regular basis I saw a big difference, I don't know if it was directly related but I feel like it made a difference. I also take something I found at the store called Cinsulin because it helps regulate insulin levels and contains cinnamon which is awesome for PCOS.
  • khloee1
    khloee1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Had a Dr's appt today and she put me on 500mg of Metformin. I have never taken it before :indifferent: so I really don't know what to expect. She also started me on cholesterol lowering medication....New Year New Meds :cry:
  • shannasaurus_rex
    shannasaurus_rex Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just started taking 500 mg of Metformin (extended release version) this week. I have taken it in the past and never noticed any difference, but perhaps I didn't stick with it long enough. For me though, it wasn't the kind of thing that made me FEEL any different. I'm taking it again because I had all my bloodwork done, and my glucose levels were a little high. My goal is to improve those numbers and hopefully find some regularily to my irregular cycles. Here's hoping!
  • PMurphy70
    PMurphy70 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you created this blog. I.'m waiting for test results to come back, but doc feels she will have to put me on Metformin because of symptoms. I'm hoping will be able to control the symptoms and lose wait. My PCOS didn't really start showing until 2 years ago. What are the side effects? Don't want more issues to deal with. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have insulin resistance, so I was put on 500 mg of metformin. I also have to eat low-ish-carb (30% of my calories, maximum) or it doesn't do any good. I wake up sluggish and HUNGRY all day, so I've learned to behave.

My doctor said putting me on BCP was the worst thing my doctors could have done. He said that actually made the weight gain from insulin resistance worse. He took me off the BCP and put me on progesterone drops since my progesterone level was 0.1 (that's lower than a man's progesterone level).

Since taking metformin, watching my carbs, and taking the progesterone, it's like night and day. I'm not moody, I sleep better, I'm not hungry all the time, I feel relaxed/rested after sleeping instead of fatigued all day, and life in general just feels *better*.

If you haven't been tested for insulin resistance, I'd be hesitant to take metformin. It can cause low blood sugar if not prescribed correctly. Have your doctor order a blood test (the fasting glucose test, not glucose tolerance) and perhaps a hormone panel if your insurance will cover all of that. That's how he figured out my estrogen is fine but my progesterone is super low. He also did an A1C to confirm I'm not pre-diabetic or diabetic.
  • ms_jen21
    ms_jen21 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just started taking Met again after not being on my meds in over 6months. I started my period today (YES!) Currently I am not taking another else due to a liver issue they want to see whats up with that before I take anything else. I was recently Diagnosed with Type-2 Diabetes and so they put me on Met for that.. lol! I go back for more blood work on the liver thing in 5 weeks.
  • stephygrace81
    Options
    hey there, love the name!!! I too, am taking MetFormin...after being on it for 2 months, i became prego w/my son...but i am on it to help prevent being diabetic...if you are able to get on it, i would....good luck!!
  • StephieF87
    Options
    YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!! Thanks for all the feed back. Putting back money now for the Dr appt, Meds, and blood test...:happy:
  • katidid213
    katidid213 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What dosage of Metformin are you taking? My doc prescribed me 500mg 4 times a day = 2,000mg! Seems like alot to me.
  • stephygrace81
    Options
    I am taking 500mg daily...ive read quite a few taking 2000mg daily...every case of pcos is different...ask your doc why the high dosage