New to Low-Carb - Looking For Low Carb Snack Food?

Options
Hello all, I am new to low carb. I try to eat natural and clean, meaning no processed food, etc.

I'm not really keen on loading up on red meat either, but I am trying to keep my carbs under 30.

I guess the fiber carbs can be subtracted from the total carbs to get the NET CARBS (I hope I got this right)

What I am having a problem with, is when I am looking for something small to put in my stomach, I can no longer use any of my old go to foods (whole wheat bread, or wheat thins, an apple or banana.

So what do you have on hand for snacks?

I really don't want to do the protein bars.

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Hi John did you know you can join a low carb group here on Mfp?
    I like devilled eggs as snacks. They are low carb and filling.
    Sliced veggies and hommus/tahini dip is nice too.
    Tinned kippered herrings ( I know they sound daggy) are really tasty.
    I just saw an interesting like on Pinterest, hollowed out cucumber filled with cream cheese and tinned salmon.
    I'll send you links as i come across them.
  • Johnsprime
    Options
    Thank you again Kymmu!

You have been my biggest ali on MFP. :smile:

I absolutely love deviled eggs, but only ever eat them on Thanksgiving for some reason. Yummy.

Some great ideas for me to look into.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Here's another link for you to consider -
    http://www.apinchofhealth.com/resources/lowcarb/snacks.html
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    If you need something in a pinch, Quest bars are really yummy. Microwave the cinnamon roll one for 15 seconds...yuuuummmm.
  • cbelrose
    cbelrose Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Deli ham roll ups with cream cheese and avacado
  • Pete0123
    Pete0123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello- no carbs and low calorie
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Deli meat, rolled up and dipped in ranch dressing, mustard, mayo, buffalo sauce, blue cheese dressing, etc
    Almonds - I keep the 100 calorie packs in my car in case of a snack emergency!
    Individually wrapped servings of cheese
    Leftover rotisserie chicken from the grocery store
    Hard boiled eggs (or deviled eggs, even better!)
    Pepperoni dipped in sour cream (weird, I know)

These are some of my favorites!

Oops - I just re-read your post - I guess a lot of this is processed. Well, I do buy organic deli meat, if that helps. The almonds would work. I also buy organic eggs. Hard boiled eggs would definitely fit in there.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    I eat carrots dipped in humus with Sriracha (spicy) sauce squirted on top.

Pistachios and almonds also good.

Also would not rule our fruits unless you are in a low carb induction phase. One (or two) servings of apples, blueberries, grapefruit, strawberries are all good.
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Hummus, BBQ pork, jerky, Sugar free pudding & jellos, deviled or hard boiled eggs, lettuce wraps( Use iceberg, leafy lettuce or romaine) with slices of deli meat add cheese if you wish and roll. Simply Fruit (fruit roll ups), cottage cheese, 2 oz planters peanuts, Simply Jiff peanut butter in celery, sweet peppers(red, orange, yellow) many store carry variety bags great for when you need something with a crunch factor, salads, single servings of frozen vegies that can be microwave, blueberries,tuna in water , pepperoni sticks, drained,laughing cow cheese wedges. This should give you a start as I think of more ideas I will add them.
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    additions to my previous reply- Fiber one brownies, cottage cheese, Black forest meat with cream cheese spread, olives, leftovers like chicken, or Tyson chicken strips.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Some veggies with dip
    handful of almonds or other nuts
    Small protein shake (protein powder, unsweetened almond milk, maybe some nut butter)