Thyrogold

Options
Is anyone using Thyrogold? I'm curious how it's working for you. I currently take 100mcg levothyroxine, and wonder how much Thyrogold I'd have to take so I can order the correct dose (300 or 150).

My TSH is normalized, but I haven't had the T3/T4 tested. My next appointment is at the end of June, and I will request those then.

I still have fatigue (nothing like it was when I was diagnosed 6 years ago) and weight issues, and I'm still cold unless it's over 80 degrees F. Normal temp my entire life has been 97.6.

Replies

• candypa
    candypa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just ordered mine today. I cannot find a dr in my area to prescribe the natural stuff. The endo. dr. won't order the natural stuff. And according to her, there is nothing else out there except the synenthic stuff. Do you think I'm stupid, naive, uneducated, etc? I'm having more and more issues. I went to a health food store and got a couple of things: kelp/iodine supplement and thyroid assist. I fell better since starting those. I went and had some blood work done on my own and the blood work has improved some. My conditions don't feel that I have it right yet, so I ordered the ThyroGold today.
  • candypa
    Options
    I am taking 30mg of the Levothy. I ordered the whole capsules. According to the information on the website, the capsules can be divided and taken 1/4 or 1/2 of a capsule. Also, it is cheaper that way. I'm going to start out by taking one pill a day.

According to my test results, the total T3 is 126, the free T3 is 3.0, the free T4 is 0.9, and the TSH is 2.14. Is this good? Do you know?
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Yikes, it doesn't specify how much it contains and isn't regulated. I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.

You'd be better off making sure your doctor is properly managing your thyroid. This means basing your dose on your free T3 and free T4 results, and not on your TSH. If your doctor won't test these, or won't look at prescribing natural/dessicated thyroid meds, you can look here for a better doctor:

http://www.acamnet.org/site/c.ltJWJ4MPIwE/b.6182915/k.5B78/PhysicianLink_Advanced/apps/kb/cs/contactsearch.asp

Or here: http://www.nature-throid.com/find_doctor.php
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    I am taking 30mg of the Levothy. I ordered the whole capsules. According to the information on the website, the capsules can be divided and taken 1/4 or 1/2 of a capsule. Also, it is cheaper that way. I'm going to start out by taking one pill a day.

According to my test results, the total T3 is 126, the free T3 is 3.0, the free T4 is 0.9, and the TSH is 2.14. Is this good? Do you know?

Your thyroid levels are very hypo - I would want a med increase right away.
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Agreed
  • epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am going to add a HUGE agreement with the person who said they wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. There is no listing of how much dessicated thyroid is in it. There is no FDA approval, which mean no safety or efficacy testing has been done. It contains bovine thyroid, and Armour is from porcine (pig) sources. I honestly don't know how similar their thyroid hormones are to human. I bet they are using the bovine because if they used porcine they would be considered a "generic" Armour and therefore subject to FDA oversight. There is a reason why Armour thyroid is a prescription drug. It does have that FDA approval. Also, without FDA approval there is no quality control imposed on the company.

I agree that you need to find another doctor who is willing to listen to your concerns and to give you options for treatment.

No matter what you ultimately decide on in your treatment you do need the input of a good physician. Find one you can talk to and feel comfortable is listening to your concerns.

Good luck,
    Pip
  • candypa
    Options

Agreed
    No dr in this area is homopathic. I checked out the couple of web sites quoted above no luck. I agree something needs to change.
  • candypa
    Options

Correction I'm taking 50.
  • Kat9hunter
    Options
    See stopthethyroidmadness website. Very helpful. There are also yahoo groups with lots of info on obtaining meds and finding docs. TSH is meaningless. I was told for years that I was in the normal range. No one ever looked at Free T3 or Free T4, let alone my RT3. I thought a basal temp of 96.3 was just how I was. I am now in the normal range of 97.8-98.2 most days. Eating gluten free can also help alot, especially if you have hashimotos. Gluten sensitivity will inflame your intestines and not allow nutrients to absorb properly, making one low on iron in particular, causing meds not to work. You want to have a iron saturation level of about 35%.

Kat
  • tisane42
    tisane42 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Homeopathic and natural meds are NOT the same thing. If that's what you want to pursue, look for a naturopath.
  • xxxMumof2xxx
    Options
    I also agree!

Agreed
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    Homeopathic and natural meds are NOT the same thing. If that's what you want to pursue, look for a naturopath.

Agreed! Natural meds still require a prescription, they are called natural because they aren't synthetic formulas created in a lab.