Tracking calories with Leslie?

Options
zoeysmom08
zoeysmom08 Posts: 117 Member
How do you track your calories that you burn doing the Leslie workouts? I usually just go by the exercise tool on here for walking and choose the 3, 4 or 5 mph pace and go by the length of my walk to figure my calorie burn but I was wondering if there is an easier or more accurate way?

I have tried using my pedometer but I get a different mile count using it: If I do a 3 mile walk with Leslie and use my pedometer, it only has like 2.2 miles or less so I know the calorie burn has to be off too.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Replies

• supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor with calories burned option. Polar Fit
  • chefsusan
    chefsusan Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I use the low impact aerobics and just count the minutes that I worked out. Because you are doing more than just walking. And it is aerobic. Although if you put more into it and it is high impact aerobics, I would do that. For me, it is low impact.

Hope that helps.
  • zoeysmom08
    Options
    Thanks for the input!
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I use a hrm as well. Don't suggest a pedometer because it doesn't pick up all the steps. Whn I belonged to her club they said evey 15 min was a mile. Unless she states that its a 3.5 mile like the 5k with a twist or walk/jog that's a 2.5 mi.
  • williamsge
    williamsge Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use my Bodymedia Fit Armband. It tracks walking exercises very well.
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I use my heart rate monitor. I have a pyle HRM34
  • daneegurl75
    Options
    A heart rate monitor is a great idea! I'm getting one!
    I use a heart rate monitor with calories burned option. Polar Fit
  • zoeysmom08
    Options
    Thanks everybuddy! I don't know much about the heart rate monitors.. where do you get them? Any suggestions for which ones may be better? Any I may need to stay away from?
  • Marne53
    Marne53 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I got mine at Best Buy. I got the watch style...not sure how the ones feel that you wear around your chest. Have a great day.
  • bobbiesinger6971
    Options
    I put it in as low impact aerobics, because she has said often that her workouts are considered aerobic walking. If I do her 12 minute miles I put it in as high impact aerobics.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    I use the low impact aerobics and just count the minutes that I worked out. Because you are doing more than just walking. And it is aerobic. Although if you put more into it and it is high impact aerobics, I would do that. For me, it is low impact.

Hope that helps.

I had discovered a while ago that the cal count for 'low impact aerobics' is exactly the same for 'walking 4 mph very brisk pace'. So either way of logging would give same cals even though in a LS mile there are more moves and is a multi muscle walking w/o. I decided to checkout some more in exercise data base to give us an idea of how it is set up:

30min of each:
    lo impact aerobic= 122 cals
    walk 4.0 mph = 122
    aerobic general = 159
    aerobics hi = 171
    walk 4.5 mph = 154
    walk 5.0 mph = 196

I mostly use 'walking' and use the 4, 4.5 and the 5 mph if the miles are 15 minute miles or faster. EX: the 12 minute LS mile is 5mph (divide 60 minutes by 12 minute mile = 5 mph) . If I'm not up to speed or not feeling on top of things I will use 'walking 3.5 or lower per my perceived exertion. I do not have an HRM

Not exactly scientific but it worked for me while I was loosing my wt. I use it for maintenance also. Most days I don't eat back all cals unless I'm actually hungry. Then I eat of course.

Hope this helps some :flowerforyou: