Muscle Cramps!

Options
Do any of you have muscle cramps in your legs or feet at night? The past few nights I have been getting them so bad I have to get out of bed and walk it off. They wake me up out of a dead sleep. I have a doctors appointment coming up soon and will talk to him about it.

Replies

• mamajenb
    mamajenb Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have that issue once in a while, its awful! I usually associate it with dehydration.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    From WebMD

What causes muscle cramps?
    The cause of muscle cramps isn't always known. Muscle cramps may be brought on by many conditions or activities, such as:
    • Exercising, injury, or overuse of muscles.
    • Pregnancy. Cramps may occur because of decreased amounts of minerals, such as calcium and magnesium, especially in the later months of pregnancy.
    • Exposure to cold temperatures, especially to cold water.
    • Other medical conditions, such as blood flow problems (peripheral arterial disease), kidney disease, thyroid disease, and multiple sclerosis.
    • Standing on a hard surface for a long time, sitting for a long time, or putting your legs in awkward positions while you sleep.
    • Not having enough potassium, calcium, and other minerals in your blood.
    • Being dehydrated, which means that your body has lost too much fluid.
    • Taking certain medicines, such as antipsychotics, birth control pills, diuretics, statins, and steroids.
  • emmi49
    emmi49 Posts: 8
    Options
    Found out I need to take potassium, losing to much, and drink more, thanks for the comments:smile:
  • MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Diabetics (and a surprising amount of the general population as well) are often magnesium deficient -- you might also try supplementing with chelated magnesium (NOT magnesium oxide!). Cramps are one of many possible effects.
  • psv1012
    psv1012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I actually went to the doctor( my Chiropractor) this week about leg cramps. He checked me over, he said i need to drink more water,and watch that I stay hydrated. I am exercising 5 times a week and I don't drink enough water,so I have been drinking much more water (constantly) and sure enough I haven't had any leg cramps in 2 night. :flowerforyou:
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    In the six months or so before I was diagnosed, I would wake up nightly with the most excruciating leg cramps. I drank tons of water, and tried every supplement I could think of, all to no use. I had no idea at the time that it was a symptom of high blood glucose. As soon as I got my glucose levels under control, the cramping stopped and I have not had a single one in over a year.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    In the six months or so before I was diagnosed, I would wake up nightly with the most excruciating leg cramps. I drank tons of water, and tried every supplement I could think of, all to no use. I had no idea at the time that it was a symptom of high blood glucose. As soon as I got my glucose levels under control, the cramping stopped and I have not had a single one in over a year.

Now that's interesting! i was plagued with horrible foot cramps for about a year before diagnosis and realized upon reading this thread that I haven't had them in forever. Now i know the reason why!