competition shoes - advice

Options
I've been looking on www.snaz75.com for shoes and 5" clear heels limits it pretty well. Wanted to get everyone's opinion on heel strap vs. slip-on. Any recommendations??? Why would you pick one over the other? Logic tells me I'm less likely to slip off the heels that have a strap but a friend mentioned problems with the strap screwing up your tan and having to jack with the strap when you have enough already to worry about. That makes sense too.

Thoughts???

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My first thought is "If I ever decide to compete for real, screw a coach for working out-I need one to teach me to walk in heels!"
    In all seriousness, I would think ones with straps would be safer, more comfortable and less "loud". I know when I wear heeled sandals, the "thwack" noise they make is kind of annoying. With heels that high, not sure it would be a huge concern, but is something to think about nonetheless. If you wear heels often, then think about which ones are easiest to walk in for YOU and go with that. I know for my heel-walking novice butt, I would HAVE TO have straps.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I went with straps to be on the safer side and had no issues tan or otherwise.
  • KikiD22
    KikiD22 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I also went with the ones with the straps (tried on the ones without and nearly killed myself). It didn't mess up my tan, but some of the tanning product does rub off on the shoes (this happens with the strap-less ones too) so just watch out the next time you wear them to practice. It took me a good couple of hours to figure out the brown stuff on my feet the first time this happened.

One piece of advice, to hopefully save you the aggravation I had to deal with, there are two major brands that make the 1/2" platform/5" heel shoes, Ellie and Pleaser. If you have a narrow foot, go with the Pleaser brand. I started out in my first competition with the Ellie shoes and apparently if you have a larger shoe size, they also assume you have a wider foot. I wear an 11, and my feet kept shifting all over the place. My walk in my first show was horrible. Once I switched brands, there was a huge improvement in my ability to walk on stage.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I also went with the ones with the straps (tried on the ones without and nearly killed myself). It didn't mess up my tan, but some of the tanning product does rub off on the shoes (this happens with the strap-less ones too) so just watch out the next time you wear them to practice. It took me a good couple of hours to figure out the brown stuff on my feet the first time this happened.

One piece of advice, to hopefully save you the aggravation I had to deal with, there are two major brands that make the 1/2" platform/5" heel shoes, Ellie and Pleaser. If you have a narrow foot, go with the Pleaser brand. I started out in my first competition with the Ellie shoes and apparently if you have a larger shoe size, they also assume you have a wider foot. I wear an 11, and my feet kept shifting all over the place. My walk in my first show was horrible. Once I switched brands, there was a huge improvement in my ability to walk on stage.

Wish I had seen this before. I went with Pleased and I have really wide feet.
  • 1_HottMess
    1_HottMess Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh thank you so much for that advice!!! That's soooo very helpful! I do have narrow feet and wouldn't have ever known that othewise. Checking them out on snaz75 now! Think I'm gonna stick with straps. I'd just rather have the added support.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Oh thank you so much for that advice!!! That's soooo very helpful! I do have narrow feet and wouldn't have ever known that othewise. Checking them out on snaz75 now! Think I'm gonna stick with straps. I'd just rather have the added support.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

I got mine on Amazon, but I am in Canada. Other sites that were cheaper ended up costing more with shipping.
  • KikiD22
    KikiD22 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Just another tidbit of info, since I've used them for costume shoes as well, Snaz75 has a twitter account and they post coupon codes all the time. If you follow them, go back and look through their history of tweets and I'm sure you can find an additional discount. :)
  • 1_HottMess
    1_HottMess Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!! Thanks for that tip! I found a pair of 5" clear pleasers with an ankle strap (literally the ONLY pair that fit that description) that I was getting ready to buy this week. I'll find them on twitter now!!
  • deniselynn13
    deniselynn13 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    KikiD22 - you give amazing advice!!!!!!! Thanks for this! I was trying to figure out where to get my clear shoes and this really helps. I have two pair of Pleasers already that i like, so it is good to know i can stick with that brand!!!

You are a lifesaver!!!