Thighs burning! Keep on track?

Options
KathleenKP
KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
Help! I did w1d1 yesterday. I got through it just fine, excited, thinking this is do-able.

Today my thighs are burning. Will I be OK for day 2 tomorrow?

I was going to walk the stairs at work today, but maybe not now, especially if it will mean I'll have recovered better for the C25k workout tomorrow.

Replies

• MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on getting it started!

You'll probably be fine for tomorrow, but listen to your body. Are your thighs just sore and achy, or is there any sharp pain? Sore and achy happens frequently during recovery days. Making it an active recovery day can help. Try going for a slow walk, gradually speeding up as you feel like it. As the blood gets flowing and your muscles loosen up, your thighs should feel better -- no running, though! Also, get some Epsom salts and pour them into a nice hot bath.

Tomorrow, if you need to spend a few extra minutes warming up, do it! Don't break into a jog for the first time until the achiness is worked out and your legs feel good, and if they start hurting again, slow down your pace. A lot of us (me included) go slower than a turtle at times! Seriously, people walking have passed me. The idea is to build up the endurance of the muscles involved in jogging -- speed will come later.

Enjoy day 2!
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options

You'll probably be fine for tomorrow, but listen to your body. Are your thighs just sore and achy, or is there any sharp pain? Sore and achy happens frequently during recovery days. Making it an active recovery day can help. Try going for a slow walk, gradually speeding up as you feel like it. As the blood gets flowing and your muscles loosen up, your thighs should feel better -- no running, though! Also, get some Epsom salts and pour them into a nice hot bath.

Tomorrow, if you need to spend a few extra minutes warming up, do it! Don't break into a jog for the first time until the achiness is worked out and your legs feel good, and if they start hurting again, slow down your pace. A lot of us (me included) go slower than a turtle at times! Seriously, people walking have passed me. The idea is to build up the endurance of the muscles involved in jogging -- speed will come later.

Enjoy day 2!

^^^
    I am so glad I am not the only one being passed bye those dang walkers lol
    I blush every time
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Shoooot... I think I was passed by the MALL WALKERS when I first started. Granted I was on medical leave recovering from surgery. Was quite a victory when I could pass them.

Yup... you may be stiff / sore. I have that alot. I run every other day... on the off day, I still do something. Some weight lifting, easy dog walking, easy biking.

Your muscles need that recovery time. Just take it slow and easy.
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    Well, I kept on track.

I didn't do the stairs after day 1 because I was TOOOOOO sore. When it was time to do the stairs, I could barely walk.

Yesterday was day 2. I came home after the workout, soaked in Epsom salts, and today I am great! My thighs are a little sore, but not much and they don't bother me. Just the good kind of sore..."oh yes, I worked out".
  • KathleenKP
    Options

Enjoy day 2!

Thank you! I read and used your advice when you posted, but didn't respond. It helps knowing about the jogging so slow that walkers can pass. That's how I felt yesterday on day two.