Emotional Eating & Paul McKenna's "Four Golden Rules"

Options
s07civic
s07civic Posts: 50 Member
Hi, I'm rather new here but am impressed with the positivity and helpfulness throughout this forum!

I've recently started using the MFP app to count calories and met with a nutritionist, and am trying to keep these four rules in mind from the book called "I Can Make You Thin" by Paul McKenna. There are four golden rules:

1. Eat only when you're hungry.
2. Eat what you want to, not what you think you should.
3. Eat consciously and enjoy every mouthful.
4. Stop when you are full.

...As someone who emotionally overeats/binges, I find it hard to adhere to these, especially #1 and #3. Sometimes I'll stuff my face and can't stop even if I think I'm full. Someone on this forum suggested that people are less likely to emotionally overeat if their emotional needs are are satisfied in other ways besides food. I think that is good advice, but beyond that, does anyone else have any tips? Also, have any of you successfully used these four "Golden Rules"?

Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• jlo9871
    jlo9871 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm turning my emotional eating habit into helping someone else trying to lose weight. My friend needs a ton of support and I've taken on the role of "supporter" for her. She needs to lose over 100 lbs. but is ashamed/embarrassed to go to the gym (even though she has had a membership for over a year). I need to lose 30 lbs...so I'm trying to set a good example for her. It's a mission and I love it (so far!).

I'm sending her positive quotes, messages, and anything uplifting to support her. (I even get a little "Jillian Michaels" on her at times, but not in the yelling kind of way. Just..."Enough excuses! Time to move it, move it, move it!") :)

In a way, it feels like volunteering. Helping someone out who has a need. It feels pretty good.
  • Saunz5
    Saunz5 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm rather new here but am impressed with the positivity and helpfulness throughout this forum!

I've recently started using the MFP app to count calories and met with a nutritionist, and am trying to keep these four rules in mind from the book called "I Can Make You Thin" by Paul McKenna. There are four golden rules:

...As someone who emotionally overeats/binges, I find it hard to adhere to these, especially #1 and #3. Sometimes I'll stuff my face and can't stop even if I think I'm full. Someone on this forum suggested that people are less likely to emotionally overeat if their emotional needs are are satisfied in other ways besides food. I think that is good advice, but beyond that, does anyone else have any tips? Also, have any of you successfully used these four "Golden Rules"?

I have difficulties with #1, #3, AND #4.... :/ I'm still working on trying to figure out how to get by...I don't restrict myself from eating anything (besides my eating style - I'm gluten free and vegan), I try to take mental notes around when I binge to see if I can find out what's triggering, if there's a way to stop, etc. I have learned some new triggers recently. Haven't figured out how to gain control though. I am starting a new thing on my calendar in my room. If I have a good day (No binging) I will put a smiley face on it. If I binge, up goes a sad face. This will show me the bigger picture at the end of the month to see how I really do. And to give myself motivation to do better next month! Competing with myself.

Here are a few links to maybe help...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/robin_bin
    ^^^That one is a little farther down the page, so you'll have to look for that.

http://schatzie-speaks.hubpages.com/hub/Before-Your-Next-Binge

http://www.wellwomanblog.com/50226711/binge_eating.php

http://www.overcome-binge-eating.com/overcoming-binge-eating-blog.html

http://blog.calorieking.com/2012/08/are-you-a-binge-eater/

Hope you can find something helpful in there! :) Good luck!
  • Kristan_Forsey
    Kristan_Forsey Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I drink two huge glasses of water really fast, so that I cannot fit anything else in my stomach. Sometimes I use sheer will power.
  • 1peanutandapumpkin
    1peanutandapumpkin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I can't say I've ever followed those rules. Although I am aware now of how fast I eat, which makes a difference. I keep reminding myself to slow down when I notice the "shoveling" happen. So hard with work and kids. So that's changing. I don't let myself eat what I want because I backslide too easy right now. I like the smiley/sad face idea because sometimes we could think "oh I had a horrible time doing a good job" when really it wasn't that bad. I think those would help keep a good perspective. Thanks saunz!
  • Saunz5
    Saunz5 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I can't say I've ever followed those rules. Although I am aware now of how fast I eat, which makes a difference. I keep reminding myself to slow down when I notice the "shoveling" happen. So hard with work and kids. So that's changing. I don't let myself eat what I want because I backslide too easy right now. I like the smiley/sad face idea because sometimes we could think "oh I had a horrible time doing a good job" when really it wasn't that bad. I think those would help keep a good perspective. Thanks saunz!

:) You're welcome! Sometimes it's good to look at the bigger picture! :o)
  • s07civic
    Options
    Wow thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will have a look at those links and will try to drink water really fast when I get the urge to binge eat.
  • AprilThirty
    Options
    Hi I'm new too to this group too. I;ve been on MFO beofe but never used the groups and recently joined again (recently as in yesterday, lol)
    I have a realy hard time with #3 - I have 2 little ones, and we live on a budget. How on earth does anyone have time to make and/or buy food that they enjoy every mouthful of? I love the idea, but honestly sometimes I'm so hungry when I get a moment to eat that I grab whatever I can. Enter one of the many probnlems, lol. Tracking and counting has helped me in the past, even though it was many years ago that I was successful with that. I'm hoping that htis time my committment to a new and btter more energy filled life with be the fuel I need to get me through this!

• AprilThirty
    Options
    Yikes, sorry for all the typos in my earlier post. Time to go to bed, I think. I didn't take the time to proofread what I wrote and hope it's understandable. Sorry gang!

• CharleneExtreme
    Options
    I'm following this as i have a big binge problem! I listen to the CD, drink water and never skip the CD or mirror exercises. Though conscious eatings a big problem for me - i mean, I've every intention to but i just stuff my face like the foods going to evaporate any second. Sometimes i wish it did... :-/

How are you finding visualisations? I'm terrible at them!

Also off-topic - but does anyone know if there's a benefit of listening to trance with the Thin CD?
  • s07civic
    Options
    I'm following this as i have a big binge problem! I listen to the CD, drink water and never skip the CD or mirror exercises. Though conscious eatings a big problem for me - i mean, I've every intention to but i just stuff my face like the foods going to evaporate any second. Sometimes i wish it did... :-/

How are you finding visualisations? I'm terrible at them!

Also off-topic - but does anyone know if there's a benefit of listening to trance with the Thin CD?

Personally I don't listen to the CD, I just keep his principles in mind and focus more on using the MFP app to monitor calories in/out. If you have a smartphone, it's great. And if you don't have a smartphone, get one, or an iPod Touch or something so you can use it wherever you go!
  • s07civic
    Options
    To be honest thinking about his principles, I feel that they are useful yet short-sighted...

For example: Eat what you want, not what you think you should... BAD advice! I get the same satisfaction out of eating salad leaves that I would out of eating crackers--without the excess amount of calories and the self-loathing that follows!!!
  • Chocoholic55555
    Chocoholic55555 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just downloaded this book from iBooks - half way through it and so far it's great!
  • LovingKay
    LovingKay Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    great info! thanks!
  • angelgayla
    angelgayla Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I struggle with all four of these!

1. Eat only when you're hungry. ~ It's amazing how easily I can convince myself that I am hungry.

2. Eat what you want to, not what you think you should. ~ This doesn't work for me because all I want to eat is fats, carbs & sugars. I never "want" to eat lean protein and healthly vegetables.

3. Eat consciously and enjoy every mouthful. ~ I'm a scarfer. I have to remind myself constantly to take the time to enjoy it. I shove it all in and then want more.

4. Stop when you are full. ~ See #1. My mind is telling me to eat more even when my body is full.

All good practices and it's good to have a reminder to do these things.