Dehydrator

Options
coronalime
coronalime Posts: 583 Member
I just got one.
What's your fave in it (not jerky) tips on making it (not jerky) :)

Replies

• maceycarey
    maceycarey Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Fruit Roll Ups!
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Jerky!

Lol

I love apple chips. Thin slice apples (I like green best), toss with some lemon juice and sprinkle with cinnamon, dehydrate to your preferred doneness
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Just made Kale crackers...

I soaked chia seeds (could also use flaxseeds as both soak to a gelantinous gloop)
    Shredded kale, spinach, and garlic
    Sesame seeds
    Salt and pepper.

Laid out on Paraflexx film to dehydrate.... after a few hours flipped over, peeled off film. Cut with scissors to size and dried more.

Lovely with cheese or nut buttters! Yum
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    fruit leathers.. mmm mmm mm! I take applesauce (I can it in the fall, never have tried store bought but it should work) and add pureed peaches, pears, grapes, strawberries or any other fruit you like. If you have the silicone sheets you use that, or saran wrap works too! spread it out fairly thin (not so much that you can see through it) and turn it on! Hopefully you got one with an adjustable temp and dry it at about 115 ferenheit (that way the fruit is still 'raw', and nutrients aren't destroyed)... D.E.Licious!
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Dried apples with cinnamon or kale chips. I can't get kale chips to taste good in the oven, but I can't stop eating them when they come from the dehydrator!
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    I'm not a fruit-fan in the first place, but I really like sweet potato/taro/parsnip/zucchini/squash/beet chips, dried tomatoes, dried citrus fruit, okra (easier to eat if split in half length-wise). I also like dehydrating mushrooms if I see a really good deal on them.
  • Touchdown73
    Touchdown73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations on a decent Dehydrator to purchase?
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    STX Dehydra 600W.. it's the one I bought to replace my rediculously inefficient round style one. This one has the fan in the back and temperature control (so you don't 'bake' the food, you actually dehydrate it).. I think I spent about $120 on it and I got it on Amazon.com. I did quite a bit of research and I REALLY love mine! especially for the price :D
  • Salkeela
    Options
    Excalibur ...

Last night I had some veggie crackers going.

Chia (wetted to make sticky gloop)
    Parsnip, carrot, turnip (or swede if your English and rutabaga for US folk) sweet potato, spinach, red onion, hempseed, garlic & salt & pepper.
    All chopped up in the magimix and then spread and dried.

These were even better than the kale crackers - I expected them to go brown, but instead they are mulit-coloured.... lovely.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    My 1st batch of kale chips weren't so crunchy but I was hungry :)
    My date banana coconut balls are good
    My zuchinni bread slices I love.

Now I'm going to try apple slices today! Will they crunch ? I really want crunch!
  • Salkeela
    Options
    Apples dried to proper crunchy are delicious... a nice tart apple to start with makes really flavoursome treats!
  • Jamie_55
    Jamie_55 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump - great ideas! Thanks!