Fibro friends?

Options
So, I tried and failed this time last year and now I'm trying again. My biggest issue is getting my body to do the exercise my brain wants me to do - I used to be very fitness-y and now I'm just not able to be (yet), and my brain hasn't quite accepted that. I know I'm not lazy, but I feel Iike other folk think I am ("why don't you just go to the gym? You'll lose weight!")

Last time I didn't join in the social site of this site - this time, I can see that it really is key.

Will you friend me and help me out? In return, I shall help you out right back.

Hope all is well and happy 2013, fibro-folk.
Lena

Replies

• islandgirldl76
    islandgirldl76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Well I am there with you I can't do regular consistent excersize. The weather is way to cold up here and I just hate it. But there is an alternative. Clean your house! and work in the yard.

If you stay moving and active you will be surprised you might not even have to WORK OUT. Ever notice how slender people are always on the go?

Instead of sitting and watching TV, clean the living room from top to bottom while your favorite show is on, clean the woodwork, get that grout clean for the first time ever, dust, organize, move furniture around for a new look, garden, mow your yard, get on the floor role around play with your kids, volunteer.

Most of weight loss is eating calories, and I found that I eat more after working out and working out causes me to gain weight in a bad way. So if I just stay moving and not work out, I am still loosing weight without the hungry binge or my body aching as much.

Now I may start toning more when I get closer to my goal weight and hopefully with being 30 lbs down I won't hurt as bad from the fibro and can try it again, but we will see.

Wish you luck.
  • jacie87
    jacie87 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was running 15-20 miles a week before fibro started affecting me. It's taken a year of rest and recovery to begin back into exercise with any success. I'm with islandgirl in the "little things count" mindset. Just being active can make a huge difference.

However, if you are wanting to exercise, realize that there are low impact things you can do at home. Yoga is a great example or gentle pilates. Both are wonderful for stretching and toning!

And this may sound funny, but when it's cold out, I love taking a trip to the mall/large store (aka-Wal-Mart/Target/etc.) and just roaming around for an hour. It keeps me moving/walking, it's warm, and I'm burning calories. An easy winter alternative.

Hope to see you moving soon! <3
  • gavians
    gavians Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Store or mall shopping is a great way. But it usually gets pretty expensive. I need to learn to "just look". LOL
  • lenatilde
    Options
    Thank you, lovely people - its nice to know there are other folk out there that get it, and your suggestions are great.

My happy walking place is actually the supermarket... Argh! So much good stuff! So little cash! It does tend to work pretty well, though, cos although I spend too much money, too... I at least get all excited about all the healthy stuff - I end up coming home with bags and bags of fruit and veges galore. Mmmm...

And sore feet, knees and hips. Hmm.

@islandgirl - how happy would my husband be if I cleaned while watching tv?! He thanks you for your suggestion :)
  • ThereOnceWasAUnionMaid
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean, when I was first diagnosed I had the hardest time moving at all. I started out taking 10 minute walks (very slowly) 5 days a week and after a couple weeks of doing that I upped the time a bit. I took it super super super slowly and just focused on moving rather then getting in shape or losing weight. I think it was a combination of that and the medication I was put on (Savella) but now, about a year later, I'm able to lift weights, swim and walk for an hour or more at a time (I still have pain, but it's not quite as severe). I still have some days when I can't move but I definitely feel better with a little bit of movement.

Anyone who wants to be friends, feel free to add me. I try to be really encouraging and I'd love to have more friends who understand the effect fibro has on this whole weight loss/exercise journey.