Sunday Dinner

Options
TaniaB_79
TaniaB_79 Posts: 52 Member
As its my first proper week on MFP this is the first time I will need to log Sunday Lunch and I dread to think how many calories it will use. I already have some tricks to reduce the calories (portion control, only roasties and parnips will be roasted and then I'll only lightly coat the in oil), gravy is my downfall, although will try to use mainly meat juices rather than the fat to help. We are having pork so I'll avoid the crackling but....

are there any other tips to stop the calories getting over the top whilst still have a traditional lunch for all the family?

(so far plan is pork, roast potatoes, roast parsnip, steamed carrot, leeks and peas, homemade stuffing and gravy, any other suggestions welcome)

Replies

• CraigAtter
    Options
    As its my first proper week on MFP this is the first time I will need to log Sunday Lunch and I dread to think how many calories it will use. I already have some tricks to reduce the calories (portion control, only roasties and parnips will be roasted and then I'll only lightly coat the in oil), gravy is my downfall, although will try to use mainly meat juices rather than the fat to help. We are having pork so I'll avoid the crackling but....

are there any other tips to stop the calories getting over the top whilst still have a traditional lunch for all the family?

(so far plan is pork, roast potatoes, roast parsnip, steamed carrot, leeks and peas, homemade stuffing and gravy, any other suggestions welcome)

You could use fry light on your roasties thats what id do its only 1 cal a spray.

If i have a dinner i always make sure theres loads of veg and only have the lean meat, but if you bulk up on the veg that will fill you up.
  • MattArcade
    MattArcade Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hmm chicken would be better but watch the fat on the pork. Drop the stuffing and gravy and if you can replace roast potatoes with more greens. Them its just about portion control :)
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Avoid all the yummy extras like yorkies, stuffing, sauces. Really minimise the roast potato portion. Fill your plate up with the steamed veg. Bisto/oxo/knorr type gravy is pretty low cal (although high sodium.
  • loubylou1969
    loubylou1969 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Actually Sunday dinner isn't a bad meal calorie wise. We're having roast chicken and I shall have breast meat, a baked potato and veg (carrots, cabbage, green beans) with a little bit of gravy. Won't have roasties or parsnips. May give the rest of the family pigs in blankets (freezer) left over from Christmas.

Works out at about 450 cals.

Louise
  • TaniaB_79
    Options
    Hmm chicken would be better but watch the fat on the pork. Drop the stuffing and gravy and if you can replace roast potatoes with more greens. Them its just about portion control :)

I did tell the other half to buy chicken but in his wisdom he got pork so in a spirit of no waste, pork it is.

Will mainly bulk up on the veg, am avoiding the apple sauce, may well try the spray instead of a tablespoon of oil.
  • debbiek75
    Options
    I love a good sunday dinner but like above have more veg than meat and always have a Yorkshire pudding or feel like I'm missing out
  • TaniaB_79
    Options
    I love a good sunday dinner but like above have more veg than meat and always have a Yorkshire pudding or feel like I'm missing out

I'm like that with roasties, will log the calories as I am cooking and will go for a walk in the woods to work some off I think
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Actually Sunday dinner isn't a bad meal calorie wise. We're having roast chicken and I shall have breast meat, a baked potato and veg (carrots, cabbage, green beans) with a little bit of gravy. Won't have roasties or parsnips. May give the rest of the family pigs in blankets (freezer) left over from Christmas.

Works out at about 450 cals.

Louise

I do love me a baked potato, but a Sunday roast isn't a roast without roasties;) my roasts usually come in closer to 700-750 cals and worth every one of them!
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Can you do some extra exercise to earn the calories back? If you can't do something like a 30 min run (not sure what your fitness levels are like) then maybe a good brisk 30+ minute walk, that should burn enough calories to allow a roast dinner like you describe. If you can't do the exercise then you need to compromise somewhere and cut back on how much you eat, maybe don't do the stuffing, only have one small roast potato, small portion of meat, loads of steamed/boiled veggies and a small portion of gravy. If you can do the exercise that is the best way to accommodate the Sunday roast, it's how I do it :)
  • EmmaR25
    EmmaR25 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think, portion control is key have a bit of what you like. Maybe put in some exercise to help
  • sarieah
    sarieah Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have the same concern too! Although I've been a member of MFP for at least 6 months, I've not really tracked properly until the new year. As most people have said, I think portion control and having more veg then anything else is key - I've put aside 700 cals for mine, just to be on the safe side..
  • TaniaB_79
    Options
    I'm going for an hour long (maybe slightly less) hike through the woods to gain some calories back
  • mummabee
    Options
    I'm at families for a roast today and it's always a monster...I'm allowing 1000 cals and staying away from cauliflower cheese and yorkie puds x
  • TaniaB_79
    Options
    Definitely staying away from yorkies, have made apple sauce for the others but will steer clear of that, homemade stuffing worked out at about 50 calories for the portion I will have so its just weighing the roasties and calculating the gravy now.

Didn't hike as far as hoped so will probably do some step when I get home but have plenty of calories left for dinner so think I can have a decent dinner with a little moderation!
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    What time of day do you have it? If you go with early afternoon, then if you have a light supper, you might be able to broadly eat what you want because you have a whole day's worth of calories to go. My failing is if I am having a big dinner in the evening I eat too big a lunch

Other tips...

Cut the veg you are roasting nice and big because fat only gets through the surface area
    When you get them out of the oven, lay them on some kitchen roll to soak some fat off
    Have a small plate
    Drink loads of water
    Skip the booze

Hope that is sort of helpful
  • lizai1
    lizai1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    We use marmite instead f oil for roast potatoes....yum yum....hope roast dinner went well x
  • Hotbabe109
    Options

I could do with some help too! I use chicken breast and dry roast it, dry roast a couple of potatoes and have 3 small roast potatoes, and give the rest to my other half! I steam carrots, green beans, baby corn and broccoli. Then the other half loves leek gratin. But even that I change the cream to creme fraiche and use 25g of cheese which is the bare minimum! Oh and top it all with a small amount of gravy!
  • shanitomorrow
    shanitomorrow Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've adapted some of Jamie Oliver's recipes for roasted potatoes and roots, adding one of the following to 10ml of oil, together with some herbs (fresh or dry) and lo-salt and pepper: cider or white or red wine vinegar; any citrus fruit (although not tried grapefruit). The vinegar or juice helps to make the oil go further, and the combination of ingredients makes the vegetables very tasty.

I've also started poaching chicken, rather than roasting it. Once done, I take the chicken out of the stock and let the liquid cool, taking off any fat before re-heating to make gravy or using for soups. The chicken meat is moist, too, and you can add flavourings to the poaching liquid - herbs, lemon, garlic plus roughly chopped vegetables (onions, leeks, celery, carrots).
  • TaniaB_79
    Options
    What time of day do you have it? If you go with early afternoon, then if you have a light supper, you might be able to broadly eat what you want because you have a whole day's worth of calories to go. My failing is if I am having a big dinner in the evening I eat too big a lunch

Other tips...

Cut the veg you are roasting nice and big because fat only gets through the surface area
    When you get them out of the oven, lay them on some kitchen roll to soak some fat off
    Have a small plate
    Drink loads of water
    Skip the booze

Hope that is sort of helpful

We ended up eating at 5.30pm and I calculated everything at 808 cals but with exercise that about 50% of my daily allowance, had one small glass of wine and with a light lunch I came in just under my net calories for the day.