only work out 2-3x per week?

Options
sarafil
sarafil Posts: 506 Member
Hello,
I began NROL4W in mid October. I love it, and am very glad that I found the program. My question is this: do most of you adhere to the recommended 2-3 lifting work outs per week, and leave it at that, or do you do other forms of exercise in addition? I know the author advocates for only following the program, and I understand why......just wondering what others do?

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I haven't started yet (finishing Insanity first) and my plan is to stick to the program and if I need it add in a slow movement, stretching type of yoga or light walk. I'm not going to do any HIITs or high impact workouts unless Alwyn says so.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I find that when I lift 3 days and do Insanity on 2 other days I get the best results.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I do lifting 3 days a week and cardio on my elliptical 3 days a week. I'm so over the elliptical right now. I'm on the search for some new type of cardio. Might have to look into insanity. I'll probably be changing to only twice a week when I figure out what I'm going to change to, it will probably be to some type of video workout. I'm interested to hear what cardio, or extras others are doing too. I need ideas. I just feel like 3 days a week only is too slack for me to stay motivated, btw.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what I am going to do. With lifting heavy, I definitely think a lot of rest days are needed; a part of me feels like if I just go and do cardio on off days, it's going to jeopardize what I can do when it comes to a lift day.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    This has worked great for me: Wednesdays are workout A, Fridays are workout B and on Sundays I do a weight class. So technically I'm lifting 3x/week. In the first stage I added cardio at the end of each workout (like 20 minutes tops) and on other days I *might* do just a light walk or something. (Stage 2 adds HIIT...)

I love the fact that I can get these kinds of results only going to the gym 3x/week. Of course, a lot is macros and diet too...

BTW, check out werkit.com for printable workout sheets customized to the book. They're awesome!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what I am going to do. With lifting heavy, I definitely think a lot of rest days are needed; a part of me feels like if I just go and do cardio on off days, it's going to jeopardize what I can do when it comes to a lift day.

The book says light cardio outside of the instructed HIITs in those stages to maximize the rest for your muscles. I'm sure I could do 3 days a week of lifting and 2-3 days of Insanity or any other pure cardio on the off days but I want to follow the book's instructions for maximum results and recovery.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I did the program 3 days a week. I still have some fat to loose so I am adding some cardio 2 days a week. I started the new book Supercharged and am adding jump rope intervals at the end of the workout. I am also doing spin class or walking the dog 2 days a week. I am finding better results adding in some additional cardio.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I did the program 3 days/week with hardly any cardio. Some days I would walk or play tennis, but nothing regular. I had been a cardio queen in the (much distant) past, but always felt that it was like torture, so I totally welcomed the change of pace. However, I got roped into doing a 1/2 marathon, so in November, I added regular running to my routine. In December I switched to 2 days/week lifting to really focus on the running.

You can work in cardio and still get results. I have gotten great results with and without cardio. When this 1/2 marathon thing is over, I'm totally fine with little to no cardio. But it's a personal choice.