Hanging Fat - Any exercise suggestions?

Options
lee91356
lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
Hi all! Despite what my meter says I have lost over 100 pounds (22 of which since I joined MFP) and I have a lot of hanging fat (or deflation as I call it lol). I'm 5'2 and I started at over 320 pounds. I am looking for some exercise/ workout suggestions that people have that may help me tone my arms and stomach area. I swim a couple of times a week but I am looking to see if there is something more I can do to target those areas. At this time not only is the stomach area prohibiting me from wearing any clothes that fit well, it makes me feel really self conscious - either I "muffin top" badly or I have to wear something baggy.

Some people who are further along and are some time out look fantastic and I would like to get some advice on what I can do to achieve a leaner and toner body.

Thank you soooooo much!

Replies

• gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I need the suggestions to. A bat is envious of my bat wings.
  • Jamielynn_77
    Jamielynn_77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    there are some bats that are envious of mine too :laugh:

have you considered a bowflex? walmart has a very inexpensive model, and its relatively small. i recently bought one and i do like it. its easy to use and i am hoping that with consistency, i can get rid of the excess deflation that i have. i also have some free weights and a yoga ball that i love, cuz on my lazy days, i can sit on it in front of the tv and still exercise. they are super inexpensive too! and the exercises are easy to find online!

hope this helps!
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options

Those are not bat wings..they're sleeping muscles! I have them too!
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options

:laugh: OMG this made me laugh out loud. I will use this as the description from now on!!! Love it...
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    YOGA, YOGA, YOGA
    honestly - it tones even the hardest of muscle and body parts.

and, if you can, PILATES!

and, of course, weight train.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great for your muscles, but will do nothing for the fat/excess skin. Sorry to break the news to you. http://slimpressions.com/ has great shapewear, especially for arms. I wore it constantly until I was able to afford plastics.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, working out wont help the elasticity in your skin, While gaining some muscle will help a little bit by occupying some space, there will be excess skin until you can have it removed... but don't be ashamed! That hanging skin, while unflattering, is a reminder of how far you have come!
  • Maylene1217
    Maylene1217 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i got lucky and dont have too much skin. however what i do have has not gone away in these 3.5 years and wont without surgery, but sine i cant afford it right now, and its not severe enough for insurance to cover it im staying this way!! maybe some day. (id love a new belly button lol and some perky boobs) i went from ,melons to eggs lol!
  • pavshop
    pavshop Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've been diligently doing strength training and toning. That will only build muscle. For now, shapewear works okay. AS we get older the elasticity in our skin decreases. At 50+ I only have 2 options. LEarn to live with it, or plastic surgery. I will work with a surgeon to find what is best for me.
  • JenM76
    JenM76 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Despite what my meter says I have lost over 100 pounds (22 of which since I joined MFP) and I have a lot of hanging fat (or deflation as I call it lol). I'm 5'2 and I started at over 320 pounds. I am looking for some exercise/ workout suggestions that people have that may help me tone my arms and stomach area. I swim a couple of times a week but I am looking to see if there is something more I can do to target those areas. At this time not only is the stomach area prohibiting me from wearing any clothes that fit well, it makes me feel really self conscious - either I "muffin top" badly or I have to wear something baggy.

Some people who are further along and are some time out look fantastic and I would like to get some advice on what I can do to achieve a leaner and toner body.

Thank you soooooo much!

Congrats on the 100pound loss. I had gastric bypass 5 years ago. If you are talking anything hanging, that is skin and there is no exercise that gets rid of it. Only way to get rid of it is to have it cut off. 2 years ago I was down to 175 (yeah, I rebounded and am now working to get down to 150). Even so, I still had the tummy apron hanging there. I had tummy tuck/lower body lift 2 years ago to deal with the issue. My thighs and upper arms are nasty still. I've had 2 plastic surgeons and my bariatric surgeon tell me that I will probably have to get the skin removed if I ever do loose the fat. But, more likely than not I'll have to have lipo on both and then the skin removed.
    Still, lift weigths and tone the muscle underneath. Talk to your bariatric surgeon. Go see at least 2 plastic surgeons that deal with post bariatric surgery.
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options

LOL! I love this! I hate my sleeping muscles!
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I love my hanging skin (not). But seriously, every time I look at it, it reminds me how far I have come. I told my boys I was going to have their names tattooed on my bat wings then they can be the "wind beneath my wings". They didn't think it was funny at all (what do 20 year old's know) I thought it was ingenious!