Chit Chat - what's up? - AFM thread

Options
This is just a spot to say hi, what's up, how's it going? Celebrate your daily accomplishments, or vent about your struggles. It's the "AFM" (as for me...) thread, LOL.

AFM, I think I'm ovulating today, so I'll be getting workouts in today - one Jillian Michaels workout video, and one BD session, hahaha. tmi right? I'm also getting over the flu, my temp this AM was back to normal pre-O temps, thank goodness, that way I can confirm O day is today if my temp rises again tomorrow. I hate being unsure of exactly which day was O day.

How are you all doing?

Replies

• arcticflower
    arcticflower Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ... [Crickets]

Hahaha. OK, so I'll talk to myself then. I'm doing well, lost a couple of pounds, and even though that's mostly due to having the flu and not really eating at all for a couple of days, I'll take it!

For the last 3 days I've thought I was ovulating, but I haven't gotten a temp rise yet so I'm waiting anxiously and BDing like it's nobody's business. Oh wait... I guess it IS nobody's business. But this is a TTC group and we all share too much info right?

Last week I was really into the workout videos, but then the flu hit and now I'm having a hard time remembering how good it felt to be that motivated. I'm on track with my eating right now, but I really need to get back to exercising again this week.

Anyone else out there? How's everyone doing?
  • sleepygirl38
    sleepygirl38 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about following my cycle. And because I had a lot of health problems as a teenager I had very irregular periods. I think my cycle is roughly 37 days. But I am not sure. I dont think mine has ever been regular so it makes it difficult to follow. Kind of frustrating
  • Macyboston
    Macyboston Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Articflower...I envy the fact that you can track via temperature. I did it for a long time and the 2 times we've gotten pregnant is when I don't temp and just use the fertility monitor. I think temping is stressful for me.

Sleepygirl...I always though my cycles were irregular but mine are 38 days long. I know that I don't ovulate around 14 like most but more around day 23. Have you read the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility? It's a fabulous book for learning about your cycle.
  • wendalin4
    wendalin4 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Do any of you ladies use any apps to track your cycles? I just started using one called pinkpad....seems ok so far the calendar is great for tracking your cycle, fertility, weight, intimate times etc... But dont waste your time looking at their msg board if you decide to use it. Its overrun by young girls asking tons of questions about if they are fat if they weight this --- or inappropriate sex questions. Anyway.... Thats why i am here! Hopefully to connect with some mature women about their experiences on TTC and loose weight
  • arcticflower
    Options
    Wendalin, I use fertilityfriend.com, you can track your cycles on their site but they also have a really great iPad app. I think they have an app for android too if I'm not mistaken.

Macy, I totally understand what you mean about the stress of temping. Although I really really like to know exactly when I ovulate, sometimes I wonder if it's really worth it. The problem is, I also use a fertility monitor but sometimes it shows a peak reading but I don't end up Oing at that time. My body gears up to O but doesn't quite make it if I'm sick or stressed, and then tries again a few days later. I wouldn't even know it if I wasn't temping. However, for those that are really regular, I'm sure the OPKs or monitor are enough. Unfortunately for me, they're not.

sleepygirl, even if you don't temp, it's really great to track when you're period comes and goes. Helps a lot when TTC, especially if you've been trying for a while.
  • jennrs000
    jennrs000 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm a fertility friend girl as well.. I think there are 3 of us on here from there.. its great, I love the phone/ipad app!! so handy!!
  • sleepygirl38
    Options
    I will have to look up that app. I am learning I may have longer cycles. I have only been tracking since october
  • ashsmile78
    ashsmile78 Posts: 3,528 Member
    Options
    Reading this thread i realize there is a lot more to this whole thing than i realized. I think i will start tracking my periods and do some research. I have never done the temperature thing either. I see i have a lot to learn. My hubby and i recently stopped using protection but i want to lose some weight before we are full on trying. I am glad to have found this group and hope to learn from you all. I got a couple of friend requests today from a couple of ya'll that was cool. :-)
  • jennrs000
    Options
    I think someone else mentioned it in here, but the book "taking charge of your fertility" is GREAT.. I would highly recommend reading it before/when you start temping. I think its great even if you aren't TTC, just to learn about your body. fantastic book!
  • barbied123
    barbied123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think someone else mentioned it in here, but the book "taking charge of your fertility" is GREAT.. I would highly recommend reading it before/when you start temping. I think its great even if you aren't TTC, just to learn about your body. fantastic book!

YES! This taught me so much. Temping helped me realize there was a problem. I probably would have never known I don't ovulate.

Confession: I'm obsessed with inputting the CORRECT food into MFP and it bugs me when people just willy nilly throw random things in there. Like, oh! I ate a burger, so I'm just going to say "mcdonalds burger" even if it wasn't a mcdonalds burger or something else along those lines.
  • sleepygirl38
    Options
    I admit I am guilty of putting in Mcdonald's cheeseburger even if its not from there. It is just easier for me sometimes. Other than that and the fact that I don't put in diet soda I drink, I log everything.

2 months ago I tried one line of supplements I really liked. The biggest perk was they gave me tons of energy and that is partially due the fact that they have tons of caffeine. The last month I had tried to cut out caffeine to maybe help with getting pregnant. However then I had no energy. SO today is my first day back on the supplements.

Anyone else tried cutting out caffeine?

I am choosing to go back on the product to help wake me up and get me functional.
  • PrincessNikki131
    PrincessNikki131 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking caffeine a week ago Saturday. I was an avid Diet Coke drinker and quit cold turkey. If I feel I am really starting to drag I grab a diet green tea. I don' t like hot tea, so it's Lipton for me. I've been very surprised that the headaches were minimal and I haven't noticed much of an energy change....I'm hoping it's a result of eating better and taking vitamins. I'm thinking that if I was still eating the same junk I wouldn't feel as good.

Good luck on your caffeine free journey!
  • ashsmile78
    Options
    I was going to give up all soda even (and especially diet) because i have noticed that my sugar cravings are super strong when i am drinking diet soda every day or almost every day. But i forgot to do it today so i am going to start now. I also like to make iced green tea or drink it hot for extra energy. And i try to put homemade burger down instead of mcdonald's if that is what it was but i don't always worry about it.
  • jennrs000
    Options
    I have cut back drastically on caffeine, but have not eliminated it completely. I went from 2+ cups of coffee a day to either decaf or 2 cups a week. I switched soda from regular diet to caffeine free diet (unless we're out at a restaurant or something, I get regular diet). I make caffeine free iced tea now as well. I havne't really noticed any headaches, which is good, or decrease in energy. I did this all a few months ago and still no BFP, so I dont nkow if its helping or not, I just know its not hurting =)
  • arcticflower
    Options
    I cut down on caffeine as well, I allow myself one coffee every week or two. I drink mostly herbal teas now when craving a hot drink, but I drink WAY more water now! I was chronically dehydrated and didn't realize it. At first my energy went down with no coffee, but when I increased water intake to 8 cups a day, my energy level is no problem

I've also cut out alcohol - anyone else doing that? I have 1 glass of wine a week now, and it was hard to do that for the first few weeks. However, I've noticed it's much easier to stay within my calorie limit now! :)
  • jennrs000
    Options
    yes, I've mostly cut out alcohol as well.. I haven't been a big drinker the last few years anyway, my body doesn't tolerate it like it did in college =/ On occasion I'll have a drink or two, like xmas/nye I celebrated.. but otherwise, I think that's the last time I had anything to drink. Not only is it better for TTC (so I've read, clearly not proven with me yet!) but it cuts out extra calories as well! woo hoo!!!

I had an awful eating day yesterday, I'm hoping I can get back on track today.. I'm already starting to feel better from eating healthier, I felt so gross after eating too much at dinner last night, and then I had an awful nights sleep because of it. I'm finally getting back into the thought process of eating healthier feels better than stuffing myself. These first couple of weeks are hard, I see junk and I just want to eat it and stuff myself until I can barely move.. but I'm finally pushing past that!
  • arcticflower
    Options
    It's been awhile since I've checked in here. I'm traveling right now and will be until Feb 1st, so I'm away from my scales and don't know where I'm at. However, I've been doing my best with calorie tracking and going for walks in whichever city I'm in, so hopefully I'm doing OK weight-wise. I'm nervous being away from my scales and not knowing where I'm at for 2 full weeks. I guess this will be a real test of my ability to live a healthy life even while on the road and eating out.

How's everybody doing? How are your workouts going? Is everyone drinking their daily water intake?
  • ashsmile78
    Options
    Hi arcticflower and everyone else on here! I hope you are having a good trip and that you have a nice loss when you get back to your scale. I hope everyone is doing well. I had a nice weekend because i was off today for martin luther king day and friday my agency was closed due to a snow day. i could totally have a four day weekend every week.

To answer your questions arcticflower, I did insanity and my elliptical on friday and went for an hour long walk on saturday. I am trying to do insanity twice a week. And walk a couple of times a week. I am getting enough water. I gave up soda and fast food yesterday. So i am drinking water instead. That is going good so far. I am feeling committed to it.
  • ashsmile78
    Options
    I posted this in the weigh in thread but I wanted to post it here too. I started a side challenge to not eat dessert. I started January 25th and I am going to do it until March 25th. I am only going to eat dessert five times in that period of time. Once on Valentine's Day and on my birthday and then 3 other times. I haven't had any dessert since before last Friday. :) feel free to join me!
  • EWhitaker526
    EWhitaker526 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Are we having another weigh in? :-)