Wanted some opinions(very scientific post)

Options
I just wanted to post some interesting info on here for people to know and google any of these references so they may learn that 6 meals per day and carrying around food everywhere they go isn't needed. Isn't all the references I have either. Just a couple I wanted to post see what people think.

Zauner c schneeweiss b kranz a madl c Roth e Schneider b lenz k resting energy expenditure in short term starvation is increased as a result of an increase in serum norepinephrine

Webber j macdonald ia the cardiovascular metabolic and hormonal changes accompanying acute starvation in men and women. BRITISH JOURNAL OF NUTRITION 1994 71; 437-447

Also your muscles won't fall off because you don't eat 6 meals a day

Norreland h nair ks Jorgensen Jo Christian js moller n diabetes the protein retaining effects of growth hormone during fasting involve inhibition of muscle protein breakdown. 2001 jan; 50 (1): 96-104

Larsen ae, tunstall rj, Carey ka, Nicholas g, kambador r, Crowe tc Cameron-smith d. Actions of short term fasting on human skeletal muscle myotonic and astrogenic gene expression. Ann nutr Metab 2006; 50(5) 476-81. EPub 2006 aug 24

Copy and paste any of the references and research them and that's science and research proof the starvation mode doesn't exist. Not eating for periods of time increases health and honestly eating to little of food only risks malnutrition.

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I agree with you but I believe the term starvation mode on MFP is more to do with plateaus in weight loss despite ridiculously low calorie intakes ie. metabolic slowdown because of insufficient total calories over time.
  • Theamers0528
    Options
    In one of those studies it shows there is no metabolic slow down from low calories... The body starts burning less calories because of a) TEF thermogenic effect of food is no longer involved (b you way less so less calories are burned per day. I don't mind people's beliefs I just want people to realize that intermittent fasting is okay and can make you stronger and not eating 6 meals a day is not needed and actually can have a catabolic effect in some cases
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I created the IF group on here :smile:

Lyle's take on it.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/permanent-metabolic-damage-qa.html
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I agree with what you are getting at however
    In one of those studies it shows there is no metabolic slow down from low calories

That study linked was over a period of 4 days, that's not really a good example.

There is no doubt that some metabolic slowdown will occur from longer periods of VLC dieting, even if the majority of that is simply as a result of overall loss of body mass.

6 meals a day is not needed and actually can have a catabolic effect in some cases

Again a slight exaggeration IMO.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I tend to find that if you look, you can find scientific studies to back pretty much any argument you want.

Generally, I'll read about new protocols / research etc.and maybe give some a go and tend to go along with the see what works for me approach.
  • Theamers0528
    Options
    If actually like to see some more recent 2010 or new studies on nutrition or excersise... And yes one was only 4 days long which isn't the strongest study... I just wanted to here some opinions... Even maybe a good study on 6 meals per day... Or if meal frequency even matters because to Emma-Leigh Lyle McDonald Alan Aragon mark berkham and many more have really just stated meal frequency from 1 meal to 17 meals a day doesn't do anything... It's all up to what diet works for you
  • ouija86
    ouija86 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Guys, it's the gym, not nutrition class.

Bodybuilders advocate 6+ meals a day so they can eat 5,000+cals a day without feeling like we all do after thanksgiving dinner after each meal. Seriously, who wants to do anything after a 2kcal meal? Nobody.

It's not rocket science I don't know why ya'll make a big complicated issue out of something that's really simple and has merely been F'd up by the internet.

Intermittent fasting isn't even a diet. It's called "oh **** I forgot to eat a meal cuz I was busy at work".
  • ouija86
    ouija86 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oh and just to super clairfy....

By bodybuilders (that advocate the 6+ meals a day) I meant guys that are 250+ in stage form. Ya know, the type of people who need absurd amounts of food to be that big...

Not MFP guys who are 160 and want to cut before they bulk.