What level is normal for you?

Options
Although I have had hypothyroidism for almost half my life my doctor never gives me much information. I have bloods done every 6 months and will be sent the results which often say "satisfactory" what is "satisfactory"? If normal range is 0.34 - 5.6, where would you want to be within that range: the range seems huge to me!

I am fairly healthy and don't have a huge appetite, eating 800 - 1200 cals/ day. I work full time then after work I run about with/ after my two kids... Yet I don't loose weight. I am on 150mcg but feel like I need more to be "normal" as I am sleeeeepy zzzz and pale/ grey, with dark circles always! Yuck.

I am trying really hard to not get down about my weight but... well, I feel like giving up!

size: 12 uk
weight: 75.3kg

Replies

• sometimes_blondie
    Options
    I know, the range is way too big. At my last labs I was 3.09 and deemed normal. I pleaded with my doctor that I was not yet normal because I still had symptoms, weight loss stalling was one of them. At first she started suggesting band-aids like antidepressants. I convinced her though to try to lower my levels a little bit more first and she agreed. I never felt better!! That little extra t-4 seems to be just what I needed! I'm not sure what my level is yet, I still have a few weeks till I go in again, but I certainly feel much better.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    our lab is up t0 3.0, used to be 5.0 for me a normal reading that makes me feel amazing is 1 and under. i finally am there after years!!!!! i'd say 15 years! i woudl ask for the specific numbers and then you can keep track of it and know what number you feel good at, etc. you probably are not eating enough either, you shouldn't eat under 1200 cals a day, that will stall things majorly! have you figured out your tdee? how tall are you? don't give up, i know it's hard. i had a very hard time for the first 6 months of my journey b/c of my levels and the loss was super slow, but it eventually did come off ( my goal was 20 lbs ) and it took me a year to ose that. It was discouraging b/c it was so slow when i knew others that woudl lose that in 3 months, and it took me a year! but i am so glad i never gave up b/c i am at my goal now and feel great about myself.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I still don't know what level is normal for me, and i can't switch to a different doctor :(

I agree with the above poster, you might be eating too little, and that can stall your weightloss.
    Eating more can help with the rest of the symptoms, you'll feel more energy, will be able to exercise more, you'll get more endorphins as a result, and will build more muscle and burn more fat.

But yes, not feeling normal sucks! I can't wait to have my levels test in ywo weeks. My biggest fear is that it will show normal numbers as a result.

My weightloss took a long time as well, by the end of my journey it will have taken me a year and 6 months just to lose all the weight i had to lose to be at my healthy weight (not having in mind getting the body more shaped and toned, that will take longer, my tummy is very stubborn)
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about TSH? My doctor said he wanted to keep me around a 1 at one point... but honestly, the last couple tests I've had, the TSH was borderline hyper, but the T3 was right where it needed to be. I don't know the actual number, because I feel pretty good and I tend not to ask a lot of questions when I want to stay on the same dose.

In my opinion, the TSH doesn't mean anything and you need to find out what your Free T3 number is. I don't take any T3 medications. I'm only on the synthroid generic, but my body converts some of the T4 into T3, which is what I need. I know sometimes doctors are reluctant to talk about T3, but that's the most important hormone as far as I'm concerned.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I had a total thyroidectomy this year and last time mine was checked, it was 1.8. I guess that is TSH. I was told that was normal. :smile:
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm totally new to all this! I am hyper and had RAI done 7 weeks ago. When I asked about weight gain, my doctor said they like to keep their patients in the "close to hyper stage". So lower TSH levels and higher free T4 levels. I just got tested today again to see where I'm at, looking forward to the test results.

I know a friend of mine who was hyper but is now hypo messes around with her dosage on her own. When she finds what works for her, she tells her doctor what she's done and why and most of the time the doctor agrees with her! If your doctor is difficult, this might be the way to go.

Hope it all works out!
    Wendy
  • xxxMumof2xxx
    Options
    I think I may try your friends idea, I've always worried about messing with the dose but if it helps... Well, I'd like to be in the right zone. I worry about going Hyper and getting the "Thyroid eyes". Half the problem would be that I am on 150mcg- 2 tiny pills - one of 100mcg and one of 50mcg - How to cut them?? lol.

Thanks!
    :smile:
    I'm totally new to all this! I am hyper and had RAI done 7 weeks ago. When I asked about weight gain, my doctor said they like to keep their patients in the "close to hyper stage". So lower TSH levels and higher free T4 levels. I just got tested today again to see where I'm at, looking forward to the test results.

I know a friend of mine who was hyper but is now hypo messes around with her dosage on her own. When she finds what works for her, she tells her doctor what she's done and why and most of the time the doctor agrees with her! If your doctor is difficult, this might be the way to go.

Hope it all works out!
    Wendy
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I agree, keeping your level close to the bottom of the recommended range... 0.40-5.50.
    Last time I got mine checked it was 0.09 too low, but I was feeling fantastic just the week before.
    I've been adjusting my dosage by my temperature, trying to get it up to 98.6. Had to give up on that,
    because i just went into hyper.
    (temperature test: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/temperature/ )

I use a pill slicer to cut the tiny pills. Have gone to alternating dosages to get the right one. 2.5 tabs isn't quite enough,
    if taken every day, too much if 3 tabs. So I'm altering 2.5 for 2 days, then 3 tabs for 1 day, repeat. It seems to be working, but will get it checked again next month.

I was afraid my Dr would get upset with me, but he was good. We do have to own our health. They are there to help us.
  • VickyJo68
    VickyJo68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi

I must have one of the worst labs then, because at 9.8 they said I was still normal and within range. They also say that it is probably down to non-compliance with the tablet taking rather than being on and inadequate dose!

Vicky x
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options

I agree, keeping your level close to the bottom of the recommended range... 0.40-5.50.
    Last time I got mine checked it was 0.09 too low, but I was feeling fantastic just the week before.

Just a note that the range for TSH is actually .3-3.0, and has been that since 2002. It will be dropped to 2.5 in the near future, and many educated thyroid doctors argue that 2.0 should be the max.

Also, if you are on thyroid meds then TSH can be suppressed, so .09 is not necessarily "too low".

TSH is NOT a thyroid hormone. Your doc should be tested free T3 and free T4 (your actual thyroid hormones) and dosing you based on those levels.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Although I have had hypothyroidism for almost half my life my doctor never gives me much information. I have bloods done every 6 months and will be sent the results which often say "satisfactory" what is "satisfactory"? If normal range is 0.34 - 5.6, where would you want to be within that range: the range seems huge to me!

Sounds like you're talking about TSH. My comment above addresses that.

You really need to get your free (not total) T3 and free T4 tested; these are your actual thyroid hormones. There is "within normal range" which is the same as "fine" or "satisfactory". But you want "optimal", right? :) Optimal is when your free T3 and free T4 are in the top 1/3 of the range your lab uses.
    I am fairly healthy and don't have a huge appetite, eating 800 - 1200 cals/ day. I work full time then after work I run about with/ after my two kids... Yet I don't loose weight. I am on 150mcg but feel like I need more to be "normal" as I am sleeeeepy zzzz and pale/ grey, with dark circles always! Yuck.

I am trying really hard to not get down about my weight but... well, I feel like giving up!

You sound like you are symptomatic for hypo. You definitely need your free T3 and free T4 to be tested.

The free T3 is especially important. This is the thyroid hormone that makes your cell "go", and gives you energy etc. Your body creates T3 from T4 (primarily). You are currently on a synthetic T4-only med that can be difficult for your body to convert. If your free T4 result is good but your free T3 is too low, then your body is having difficulties converting it.

You may benefit from either adding a synthetic T3 med (like cytomel) or from switching to a natural/dessicated thyroid med that contains both T3 and T4. Not sure what's available in the UK for that?
  • xxxMumof2xxx
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to reply with so much information. I have had my bloods done and get the results and a Dr appointment this Friday. I am hopeful I will be given more information and have my meds changed.

:flowerforyou:

Sounds like you're talking about TSH. My comment above addresses that.

You really need to get your free (not total) T3 and free T4 tested; these are your actual thyroid hormones. There is "within normal range" which is the same as "fine" or "satisfactory". But you want "optimal", right? :) Optimal is when your free T3 and free T4 are in the top 1/3 of the range your lab uses.

You sound like you are symptomatic for hypo. You definitely need your free T3 and free T4 to be tested.

The free T3 is especially important. This is the thyroid hormone that makes your cell "go", and gives you energy etc. Your body creates T3 from T4 (primarily). You are currently on a synthetic T4-only med that can be difficult for your body to convert. If your free T4 result is good but your free T3 is too low, then your body is having difficulties converting it.

You may benefit from either adding a synthetic T3 med (like cytomel) or from switching to a natural/dessicated thyroid med that contains both T3 and T4. Not sure what's available in the UK for that?
  • Qwiss
    Qwiss Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been off meds for about 1.5 years now and my norm seems to be settling in at .1

I'm hyperthyroid but now I'm having a hard time losing weight. I went on a 1200 calorie a day diet for 3 months and only lost 8lbs. I should have lost around 20.

So I'm working on jumpstarting my metabolism to achieve better weight loss through food and diet.