ankle fear

Options
ok so throughout my life i have twisted sprained my ankles. I have tore ligaments etc. so i have a serious fear of this happening again can anyone help with ideas to help with supports that i can run in?? thanks

Replies

• PineappleMartini
    PineappleMartini Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I tore the ligaments in my L ankle way back in 9th grade and to this day I still roll my ankle, but I have learned to deal with it in different ways. For starters I make sure that if I have a bad pain that I do RICE treatment, but I also work to strengthen my ankles. I do some of these exercises that I found on active.com http://www.active.com/fitness/Articles/12_Ways_to_Build_Ankle_Strength_for_Top_Performance

Right now with running I just make sure that I'm watching the ground to make sure that I don't step on a root or rock. With running you just have to accept that you might strain your ankle but don't let it stop you. If you're really afraid try to find a elastic brace to wear, but know that it can cause blisters. The one time I wore a brace I had foot pain in my arch and I knew that it wasn't worth wearing a brace if I couldn't even walk right.

Go to a running store and ask them to help you find the right shoes for you. I know that my ankles roll out when I strike with my heel but then roll in when I move through the foot contact. They can help find the right shoes that will stabilize or cushion or give you the right amount of both!

Good luck!
  • no1belongs
    Options
    cool thank you. i know its more mental then physical but i am thankful for the advice. glad im not the only one who hurt an ankle young. i have had several 2nd degree sprains and in 2011 i tore a ligament so yay anyways thank you again