New to this, what do you enter in MFP?

Options
rachietuk
rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
I am starting stage 1 on Monday. I have worked out my calories for non-workout and workout days.
Heres my question, probably one of many as I progress through this....

What do you enter in MFP as exercise for STAGE 1? Do you eat back your exercise calories?

thanks for your help.

Replies

• kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi and congrats on starting Stage 1! You're gonna love it!

I just select the Cardio option and then choose Strength Training for however long I was there (Stage 1 took me 34-40 minutes typically). It's kind of generic, but I was OK with that. In the beginning, I also entered in every exercise under the Strength Training option, but that was just to log what I was doing; it doesn't show calories burned. You could also wear a heart rate monitor and see how much you burn during a session; then create a new exercise called Stage 1A and Stage 1B.

I eat back my exercise calories for sure. For one, I love to eat. And secondly, I'm on 1550 calories and that's just not enough on lift days.
  • rachietuk
    Options
    Thank you, this is very helpful.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I just set my daily calories to the calculation from the book so I don't have to worry about logging exercises.
  • rachietuk
    Options
    I just set my daily calories to the calculation from the book so I don't have to worry about logging exercises.

Does this mean you do not eat back any exercise calories?
    Thanks
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Thanks

Yes, you are still eating back your exercise calories, but you're setting your base higher. For example, if you're set for 1600 calories to lose weight and log 400 calories mfp will tell you to gross 2000 calories to come to a net of 1600. If you're already set to 2000 calories, then your "exercise" calories are already build into the equation. It's like TDEE. If you still want to log when you do exercise but not the burned calories most people just log it as 1 calorie and record the exercise.
  • rachietuk
    Options

Thanks

Yes, you are still eating back your exercise calories, but you're setting your base higher. For example, if you're set for 1600 calories to lose weight and log 400 calories mfp will tell you to gross 2000 calories to come to a net of 1600. If you're already set to 2000 calories, then your "exercise" calories are already build into the equation. It's like TDEE. If you still want to log when you do exercise but not the burned calories most people just log it as 1 calorie and record the exercise.

Thank you, this makes perfect sense now.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

Thanks

This is exactly what I have done. Feel free to see my diary.
  • CSueB
    CSueB Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    very helpful.....my daily is supposed to be 1550 too...and that is up from when I was trying to lose, so it's already kind of scary to be eating more....but don't want to sabotage myself by not eating enough either...... very excited for Wednesday, my 2nd day!
  • CSueB
    CSueB Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi and congrats on starting Stage 1! You're gonna love it!

I just select the Cardio option and then choose Strength Training for however long I was there (Stage 1 took me 34-40 minutes typically). It's kind of generic, but I was OK with that. In the beginning, I also entered in every exercise under the Strength Training option, but that was just to log what I was doing; it doesn't show calories burned. You could also wear a heart rate monitor and see how much you burn during a session; then create a new exercise called Stage 1A and Stage 1B.

I eat back my exercise calories for sure. For one, I love to eat. And secondly, I'm on 1550 calories and that's just not enough on lift days.