Hoping to run my 1st 1/2 Marathon in May

mair123
mair123 Posts: 50 Member
Hi! This has been a year of great progress for me. With the help of MFP and the C25K/10K program- I went from being inactive and obese to losing 60 lbs and jogging 6 miles every other day. I know how important it is to constantly challenge yourself and to not get complacent- so my next goal is to run a 1/2 marathon in May. I'd love to hear your advice and tips. I have printed out Hal Higdon's Novice 2 plan but it scares me that it is only 12 weeks long. I was thinking of doubling each week just to make sure that I will be ready. Thanks and wish me luck!!!

Replies

• mailinator
    mailinator Posts: 31 Member
    Great job on the exercise and weight loss! However, jumping from 6M to HM can, for many people, result in injury. Also realize that the HM distance is not simply running longer but requires a significant change in attitude and some people won't adjust which can be terribly demotivating. There are a bunch of other differences - for example, most people can run 6M without paying any attention to their nutrition. Above 6M, nutrition before, after, and during becomes a whole new world that is best done with a lot of experimentation to find out what works well for you and what to avoid (what leads to crash and burn).

I recommend runners comfortable with 6M (as you say) and interested in increasing mileage instead train for a 15K or 10M race. That will give you a much better appreciation for the substantial differences in mileages over 6M.
  • You have already prooven that you are willing to do what it takes to succeed. You can do this. I went from 5k, to 10k, to half, and am recovering from my first full marathon. I hope to be recovered and train for another half in May. Be careful about extending the training plans- sometimes that can it-self cause injury- Hal Higdon's are doable and Novice 2 is a good place to start. Is there anyone you can train with, or just talk running? I'd suggest doing the first 6 weeks as he suggests, then taking 2 weeks of taper and then re-start at the begining if you are concerned about the distances.
    Good Job!
  • mair123
    Great job on the exercise and weight loss! Above 6M, nutrition before, after, and during becomes a whole new world that is best done with a lot of experimentation to find out what works well for you and what to avoid (what leads to crash and burn).

Thank you for your feedback. You definitely brought up a very valid point about paying closer attention to nutrition. I have changed many of my eating habits but because my goal has been to lose weight, I do believe that I am going to have to change some of my daily staples to support the increased running at some point in my training. While I do not expect to lose weight during my training, I would really like to find a balance where I am getting all my nutrients but not packing on extra pounds either.

You also made me think of proper hydration. On my runs, there is no need for me to stop for water- I am fine drinking before and after my run- but I think that will change as my training increases.
  • mair123
    You have already prooven that you are willing to do what it takes to succeed. You can do this. I went from 5k, to 10k, to half, and am recovering from my first full marathon. I hope to be recovered and train for another half in May. Be careful about extending the training plans- sometimes that can it-self cause injury- Hal Higdon's are doable and Novice 2 is a good place to start. Is there anyone you can train with, or just talk running? I'd suggest doing the first 6 weeks as he suggests, then taking 2 weeks of taper and then re-start at the begining if you are concerned about the distances.
    Good Job!

Congratulations to you on all of your achievements!!! You rock!!! It is so inspiring to hear stories from people who started exactly where I did. Thank you for the encouraging words.

I have been thinking of taking a class to help me train for the 1/2 but my work schedule changes from week to week and I don't think it will work out. I have several friends who have run marathons and I know I could always go to them, but sometimes it is a little intimidating considering the huge difference in levels.

I will definitely keep in mind what you said about extending the plan. I think one of the benefits to being a slow runner is that there is a less likely chance of injury.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    I used the Hal Higdon app on my phone. I did double a few weeks, but I finished my half less than a year after not being about to run for 30 seconds at a time.

I'm using the HH marathon app now for my next challenge.
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    I used the Hal Higdon app on my phone. I did double a few weeks, but I finished my half less than a year after not being about to run for 30 seconds at a time.

I'm using the HH marathon app now for my next challenge.

^^
    I used Hal's plan too & had to modify it a bit but overall it is good!

I started running last February & had only run a few 5k's before deciding to sign up for a half. I took Hal's plan and modified it into a 17 week plan, by increasing my long runs each week by only a 1/2 mile. The longest training distance I ran a week before the race was 10 miles. I was able to finish the half in 2 hours 19 minutes. You have plenty of time, just take is slow. You can do it !
  • mair123

The longest training distance I ran a week before the race was 10 miles. I was able to finish the half in 2 hours 19 minutes. You have plenty of time, just take is slow. You can do it !

I think that is an amazing time for a 1st timer. I am a naturally slow runner. I have been at 12-12:30 min/mil pace for sometime now. However, when my run is over, I feel challenged but I am not superexhausted. For my first 1/2 marathon, I just want to finish!!!!

The one downside I have read about the HH app is that it can't be customized. He sets up the day of each run and there is no switching. My work schedule varies, so I have to have some flexibility in my training, especially in the beginning when I am working on limited hours of daylight to run in.
  • mbrassette
    mbrassette Posts: 15 Member
    I did my first 5k using C25k, then a year later my first 10k, then started training for Half. I mostly used the Runner's World Smartcoach app and on the website and found it worked pretty well. Though I did keep to only 3 runs per week as I found I had issues when pushing to 4 per. Increase gradually and I also greatly recommend Marathoning for Mortals (Bingham and Hadfield) which has great info and also includes running plans.

I still walk about 1 minute every mile in almost all my training runs and plan on walking about a minute at each water stop in races longer than 5k too.

I'll be doing my first Full Marathon in April or May, just starting to ramp up training for that now!

You can do it!
  • I trained very aggressively for my first 5K, 1/2 Marathon AND full marathon last year! I had been running for just under a year when I ran my first full - and I did NOT have a real athletic background or anything - not at all! You can absolutely do it with some determination and looks of sweat! You need to take a very mental, methodic approach. Don't over-train but know when to push yourself to that next level.

Feel free to add me if you would like some additional advice/motivation! I am currently training for another half this spring (maybe a few...who knows....). I have discovered a passion for running that overwhelms me on a daily basis. I love to motivate others and also learn from others. Runners are an incredible community of people!
  • halffullpgh
    halffullpgh Posts: 74 Member
    I too just began training for my first 1/2. I can run about 3 miles at a time now and can't wait to see that improve over the next few months. Now I just need to find a race and commit.

Good luck to you!
  • mair123
    Thank you all for your words of encouragement and advice. I still haven't locked into a training plan yet and am being mentally consumed by prepping for this 1/2. God only knows what I will be like once training officially starts. On the advice of another runner, to try and prepare for training, I added a 3 1/2 mile run the day after one of my 6 milers (I normally give myself a day off between runs). Boy, did I feel it! My legs haven't been that sore since I first started C25K. I sure hope I am up to this challenge!
  • mailinator
    mailinator Posts: 31 Member
    I recommend beginners NOT run two days in a row. That significantly reduces your body's recovery mechanisms. For some people, it also substantially raises the risk of injury and burnout. Your own observation ("Boy, did I feel it!") is a good sign that you are listening to your body but a bad sign that you ignoring what you hear.
  • bridies01
    bridies01 Posts: 57 Member
    I think as long as you are running easy, you could do it. I had only been running for a year when I ran my first half. I made the mistake of not just running the distance, but trying to "beat my time" in every training run. So I ended up running it injured, and then last year kept injuring myself (yes, I like to learn the hard way!).

I am now doing heart rate training after reading Heart Rate Training for the Compleat Idiot (yes, spelled that way in the title), and am running what feels like painfully slow. However, I am running 40 - 50 miles a week and have no pain. That's a lot of miles for me. This might not work for everyone, but running slow has made a huge difference in the miles I can handle, and I am slowly getting faster while staying at the same low heart rate.

Re: nutrition, I also think this differs for everyone. I typically didn't find I needed to change much. But i am a vegetarian and generally eat a fair amount of carbs. I never ate on long runs shorter than about 8 miles, and when running 8-13 miles, would only bring a pack or two of fruit snacks and water / gatorade. Good luck!
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    I did my first half marathon in September 2012 and am aiming to do my second in May :) I'm not a runner at all - I just like to set myself big challenges!

The biggest thing for me was making sure I had the right trainers - the ones I was originally running in had no arch support for me so it might be worth getting your gait checked and ensure you have the best ones for you :) It also helped ease shin splints for me when I really started pushing the distances xx
  • mair123
    Your own observation ("Boy, did I feel it!") is a good sign that you are listening to your body but a bad sign that you ignoring what you hear.

To be honest, I was okay while running. I wasn't trying to go fast, just complete the distance. Afterwards is when I felt it! So on my next 6 mile run, I made sure to take it extra slow for the first 3 miles, until I felt fully warmed up. Most training plans that I have seen require at least one back to back run.
  • mair123
    It's official! I registered for the Long Branch 1/2 Marathon on May 5th. Time to put my $ where my mouth is.
  • I am running my first half in April and I rejoined MFP just because I need the motivation and nutrition information. When I started my weight loss journey, I began with the c25k and just sort of kept going from there. Right now though, I hit my wall around 5-6 miles. I know it is a mental thing, but I hope that being here and refocusing on nutrition and stuff will help me get over the wall.

Looking forward to encouraging each other!
  • I am running my first half in April and I rejoined MFP just because I need the motivation and nutrition information. When I started my weight loss journey, I began with the c25k and just sort of kept going from there. Right now though, I hit my wall around 5-6 miles. I know it is a mental thing, but I hope that being here and refocusing on nutrition and stuff will help me get over the wall.

Please feel free to send friend requests my way!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    I am running my first half in April and I rejoined MFP just because I need the motivation and nutrition information. When I started my weight loss journey, I began with the c25k and just sort of kept going from there. Right now though, I hit my wall around 5-6 miles. I know it is a mental thing, but I hope that being here and refocusing on nutrition and stuff will help me get over the wall.

Once you hit that length running is a headgame, as long as you're not trying to run too many more miles at once (which is still doable, but could hurt a bit...not that I speak from experience...heh!). If you tell yourself you can't go further you won't, but if you decide you can do it - and that your legs will make, because they will - going to 7 if you've run 6 is easy :)
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Only advise I would give you for your first half marathon is: just have a goal of finishing, dont worry so much about your time. Start working on your time on your 2nd or 3rd!