Question concerning alcohol...

Options
I'm sure ears perked up when they saw that word :P

My wife has been following a Primal diet for a week now, and I'm on my third day and really loving it so far thanks to her resourceful and yummy home cooking. But, we did have a question concerning alcohol.

Which alcoholic drinks do you consider Ok to have on the Primal/Paleo diet? Some might argue that most aren't Ok; beers are made with grains, so are bourbons and whiskeys, and vodka is made with potatoes. I'm not sure about cider, but I'm pretty sure that's just fruits.

But, even though they are made with them, you aren't actually eating any grains, etc, as the actual grains are discarded. So, what does everyone think?

Replies

• little_miss_panda
    Options
    Mark's Daily Apple recommends red wine or clear spirits like vodka. In terms of carbs, then clear spirits are the lowest, followed by dry wines, then hard cider, with beer and things like bourbon higher in carbs/sugar.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    definitely aggre with litte_miss_p.. but if you only occasionally imbibe then I would say moderation is the key, if it's a weekly thing I would definitely stick with wine mostly, with the occasional clear spirit.. and remember too, a lot of the mixers have a ton of sugar (juice, soda, etc) so be mindful of that :)
  • AraLupus
    Options
    Yeah, I know they are chock full of sugar etc lol But thanks for the advice; I do like white wine, so guess I'll be sticking with that. I do like the occasional beer and whiskey, so I guess it's cut it out or moderation as I only really drink maybe once every few months lol
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'll drink a little wine now and again, other than that, it's vodka or tequila. Oh, or around Christmas, I'll spike eggnog with coffee-flavored brandy. It is a slice of fabulous.

Somewhere I heard or read that there are vodkas now that have some gluten in them, but I haven't had an issue.

A lot of people can still do whiskey, since they filter out so much junk, but I personally find it too harsh to enjoy now.

So yeah, Don Julio blanco is a pal of mine!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I only have wine, usually red....and keep to 2 glasses, def not beer lol
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Whiskey has ZERO carbs/sugar, actually.

And since someone mentioned MDA:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb-alcohol/#axzz2HUtey9H9