What has always been what held you back from losing weight?

Options
Family? Food addiction? Lack of motivation? Oftentimes all three can be hard on you.

If you're part of a family that is also overweight it's probable that they do not want to see you succeed not because they mean to be negative but because subconsciously they feel guilty that you're trying and they are not.

It's easy to become addicted to food when every cheap food nowadays has some kind of chemical that your body gets used to and craves. Honestly, if there is ever a food like you feel like you have-to-have then that is what you should stay away from.

Motivation can be hard to keep up especially when there are so many factors shoving it down. The point is to listen to yourself, not others- unless they are inspiring and beneficial to your life - and look at how far you've come. Every day you stay true to your commitment to lose weight is a day you ARE losing weight! A quarter of a pound, a pound or more. It's PROGRESS!

Replies

• ajstewart20745
    ajstewart20745 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Exactly, family friends work, my social life and wrong eating habits. Because when you are surrounded by the bad eating habitats you seem to want to join in and indulge. Things have changed 2013 is a new year new challenges for me. My goal is to lose 70 pounds by June.
  • blanqui1
    blanqui1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wrong eating habits, a couch potatoe, and like you Glynn would like to lose 70 by end of June....
  • silkyslimdown
    silkyslimdown Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    FOOD! I love to exercise, but food is SUCH a weakness of mine. That's why I'm on MyFitnessPal. I weigh myself on Tuesdays, and today I weighed in at the same weight for the 3rd week in a row. Urgh. I realzied that the food I'm taking in is outdoing my time spend at the gym and boot camp classes. Starting today I'm all about logging my food to get a better sense of where I'm going wrong and how I can do better.
  • merrhea
    merrhea Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I dont know where to start. I have been going to a power yoga class but the chataranga move .... ugh I cant do push ups and its entirely frustrating seeing others do the same moves with such grace. Whereas I feel like a bull in a china store; but I am determined to keep with it and I know I will get better. For the longest time I worried so much about how I looked to others that I tried to blend into the background so no one would notice me. Now I just want to be comfortable in my own skin.
  • carriong11
    carriong11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Motivation!!!!
  • cmarie20
    cmarie20 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am good at starting a new routine or trying to eat healthy and then it consumes me i start thinking about it all the time. I want to lose weight i want to be healthy but everyday I am faced with the reality that people get sick and sometimes i look at the task and think its to much i cant do it going to go back to eating my snacks and watching mindless tv with husband . But it dosen't seem like a consious choice sometimes it s just a well its just today i get back on the wagon tommorow last year around the same time i hit the ground running and lasted to mid january then some unexpected and expected life stress got in the way and i had an excuse everyday gym is to far, i am really tired , i have to work today, i have to work tommorow ect. How do i push aside my negtive thoughts and excuses and keep going. This year i am starting at home 30min a day of activity for five weeks is my challange and im trying really hard to tell myself daily yes its important to loose weight but its a long term commitment it takes months not minutes not days .......im hoping there are others like me that just need to loose the obsessiveness and just perform on day at a time and i find the healty me.
  • woobiewoobster
    woobiewoobster Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of my underlying problem is I eat my feelings. Add to that I don't eat in proper portion sizes (it took a food scale to learn this) and you have a combination to be overweight.

The years I wasn't on anti-anxiety medication I was thin (no wonder why). Now that I'm relaxed and not a ball of nerves all the time I have gained weight.

So I have joined MFP to help me and I think it's going to work. It's ME doing this--not a medication, not a 'special' diet, nothing but me and my trusty food scale.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I always thought my biggest hurdle was time! however, now that I am actually scheduling in my gym time in my calendar, it's pretty easy to get there.

Friends have always been a big one too, most people I hang with are skinny so not concerned about eating munchies while drinking, I was always quiet when I was trying to lose weight, and ashamed to mention it to anyone for fear of failure. However this time, I posted it on my FB page for everyone to see. I figure this way I will remain accountable to me. AND I noticed the food offerings started to change as well.

I always had issues with weight, but gained around 100lbs when I quit smoking. I did that 5 years ago, now I gotta do this!
  • kellyan2986
    Options
    I feel like my strongest weight gain issue has been myself. I struggled with eating disorders all through high school and I was maybe 110-115 the whole time. I almost feel like if I get started on a weight loss "kick" that I will fall back into that and it scares me...A LOT!!! I have all the support you should expect, but I just tend to carry things to the extreme when it comes to working out and eating. My family is starting to work out and eat healthier, so hopefully that will help me out too. I always feel better when I work out, but I feel like I should be able to do things I did 15 years ago and I can't. This is so frusterating that I tend to give up after about 2 weeks or so. I also have some health issues that I struggle with and I use those as an excuse sometimes...

Time to start getting healthy again and I wish everyone the best on their weightloss journey!!!!
  • woobiewoobster
    Options
    I am good at starting a new routine or trying to eat healthy and then it consumes me i start thinking about it all the time. I want to lose weight i want to be healthy but everyday I am faced with the reality that people get sick and sometimes i look at the task and think its to much i cant do it going to go back to eating my snacks and watching mindless tv with husband . But it dosen't seem like a consious choice sometimes it s just a well its just today i get back on the wagon tommorow last year around the same time i hit the ground running and lasted to mid january then some unexpected and expected life stress got in the way and i had an excuse everyday gym is to far, i am really tired , i have to work today, i have to work tommorow ect. How do i push aside my negtive thoughts and excuses and keep going. This year i am starting at home 30min a day of activity for five weeks is my challange and im trying really hard to tell myself daily yes its important to loose weight but its a long term commitment it takes months not minutes not days .......im hoping there are others like me that just need to loose the obsessiveness and just perform on day at a time and i find the healty me.
  • woobiewoobster
    Options
    Oops, I meant to copy your post and reply to it. I think your storyline is very similar to many of us who have the same issues so please do not feel like you're the Lone Ranger. : ) If you'd like someone to sympathize and/or give you a kick in the pants I"m willing to be that person. : )
  • DivaMoe40
    DivaMoe40 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    megansilky wrote:
    FOOD! I love to exercise, but food is SUCH a weakness of mine. That's why I'm on MyFitnessPal. I weigh myself on Tuesdays, and today I weighed in at the same weight for the 3rd week in a row. Urgh. I realzied that the food I'm taking in is outdoing my time spend at the gym and boot camp classes. Starting today I'm all about logging my food to get a better sense of where I'm going wrong and how I can do better.

I just said that to myself last week! I love to exercise, but I am still eating some of the wrong foods which is of course defeating the purpose of losing weight. And like you, some of my intake out does my gym time. I also find myself eating something I know that I shouldn't have because "it's a gym day, I'll burn it off". I feel your pain. I told myself that I will no longer eat back ALL that I burned off becasue I am cheating myself of the benefits and outcome that I am trying to achieve.

WE CAN DO IT megansilky!!! I've got your back :wink:
  • Clarissa11s
    Clarissa11s Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Myself!!!! Ever since I was expecting my daughter I allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted and once she was born I never did anything about it. Three years and another child later I am bigger than I have ever been. I have always been and emotional eater and that's a disastrous cycle to be a part of. you eat when you're sad; you have no energy because you have gotten big, you are sad that you are so big so then you......EAT!!!! I want to lose 125lbs and I think that I always looked at losing weight as a huge challenge/project that I could never accomplish. I just started but I am taking things one day at a time and pound by pound.
  • enochsig
    enochsig Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I always use to say that being busy was my excuse. That the quick grab of a burger or just making bad food choices was because I was busy but it was really a cop out. Instead I'm using that to my advantage and have quick grab snacks that are healthy and I dont feel guilty about.
  • mhabing
    mhabing Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lack of motivation and the convenience of fast food were my excuses. I worked over 45 minutes from home and I always passed fast food places and I would always stop at one even if I had to scrape up change off the floorboard. Looking back it seems pathetic but then I thought I needed it. Now that I work less than 15 minutes from home with only one fast food place (that isnt cheap) on the way home I never stop. I am now wanting to lose 120 lbs so I have cut out soda and added at least 10 glasses of water a day. With that along with eating healthier, exercising, & tracking everything on mfp, I will be able to lose it. It will be hard & take a lot of will power but I will get through it.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I love food, and I love the computer. Both put together lead to a sedentary lifestyle.
    Yep, that's me.
    I'm changing that, though.
    I've been in Taekwondo for months, but I didn't alter my eating habits. Now I'm watching everything I eat (even the bad stuff...darn it), and filling in the days I don't do Taekwondo with going to the gym at lunch.
  • Pepper430
    Options
    Emotional eating.
  • AprilLove13
    Options
    Lack of motivation, it's much easier to keep putting it off without giving it a second thought, until a year passes and then there's regret that I hadn't started already. The only "supporter" I have is my husband but he is also bad at bugging me to get a large if I order a small, to order in food, etc. He may not be doing it to intentionally sabotage any progress I've made, but he does indeed do these things. My family pretty much laughs it off, by family I mean my mom, she is the only one I even talk to about it. That's a story for later though. I grew up being timed to eat fast or get into trouble, so I have always scarfed down my food. I had been really afraid of loose skin issues. I have always been a busty girl and honestly have skin bags in place of what I have now does scare me, I've never wanted implants but I honestly think I would "need" them to feel better about myself if I ended up with nothing there other than well, skin. I'm fighting that issue still, but I know being healthy and fit is of much more importance. I am also a big emotional eater. These are the reasons I can think of, I'm sure there are probably more. However, deep down I know none of them are valid enough to keep using as an excuse.
  • Jeski
    Jeski Posts: 11
    Options
    I dont know where to start. I have been going to a power yoga class but the chataranga move .... ugh I cant do push ups and its entirely frustrating seeing others do the same moves with such grace. Whereas I feel like a bull in a china store; but I am determined to keep with it and I know I will get better. For the longest time I worried so much about how I looked to others that I tried to blend into the background so no one would notice me. Now I just want to be comfortable in my own skin.

No one is born perfect. No one pics up a a bat and is just a natural at hitting home runs. We try, try try and try again! Grace will come in time, for now it's enough that you are making an effort. Great job.
  • vijani
    vijani Posts: 6
    Options
    I have always been successful at losing it....but the motivation to keep it off is the problem. Trying again this year. Hoping that logging in what I eat and seeing these messages will help me to "take it off" again and this time "keep it off."