Arghh Portion sizes are so difficult to adhere to!

Options
phoebs16
phoebs16 Posts: 10 Member
Hi everyone! Finding it so hard to stick to portion sizes. Weighing stuff out so that's a correct portion size, but it's so little when it's in the bowl or on the plate. What's your trick? Do you eat out of, or on kids sized bowls and plates??

:o)

Replies

• squankmuffin
    squankmuffin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Smaller plates do help. And if you fill the rest of the plate with veggies it's not so bad. Preferably lots of different kinds of veggies so it's not boring.

Portion sizes on food labels can also be a bit of a con as the box on the front may make something look low calorie, but when you check the portion size you realise that you hardly get anything for that amount.

Go for high flavour food, so you get more satisfaction per gram.

Are you going over your calorie goal, or are you under / on but trying to focus on balance?
  • phoebs16
    Options
    Hi, I quite regularly go over to be truthful. 1200 for an entire day is difficult :o(

I do tend to rely on what it says on the box, as I'm new to cooking proper meals. In my late teens and twenties all I basically ate was ready meals straight out of the box because it was quick and easy. Which is just what I needed at the time.

I guess it's just something I have to get used to, especially if I still want to have favourite foods from time to time whilst still not straying too far from my weightloss plan.
  • SarahJCotton
    Options
    I've never gone down as far the 1200 limit, I've lost all my weight on a 1400 limit (13lbs so far). You'll still lose the weight just a little bit slower, but in return you'll have those extra calories to play around with! Oh and as muffin says, fill your plate up with veg, you can eat tons of the stuff compared to most other things and they're good for you :)
  • squankmuffin
    squankmuffin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to put aside a prep night a week to prepare and freeze lots of veggies / fruit etc. I put them into freezer bags for each recipe. Then I can just throw things in the slow cooker and they're done when I get home. It works out quite reasonably priced as we have a good market near us. Otherwise I'm frequently too tired to cook when I get home, and stuff goes to waste.

1200 seems pretty low. If you find yourself going over a lot, maybe be a bit more realistic. No point making yourself feel bad when you could just pick another target and stick to it. Obviously, not 3,000 or something, but a little more leeway may be helpful.
  • phoebs16
    Options
    Yeh, I thought it was quite low too but that's what the my fitness pal recommended box came up with as best for me.

Thank you Squankmuffin & Sarah :o)
  • sugar66
    sugar66 Posts: 41
    Options
    I have a childs dinner plate, which is the equivalant size of a side plate.
    If I eat whats on it, and still feel hungry after 30 mins then i will have a piece of fruit but this does not usually happen.
    Sometimes we pile our plates with food because this is what we are used to, the aim is to re-teach our brains that we don't need the food we think we do. Remember you can always top your calories up at the end of the day, but you can not undo the damage once its in your mouth.

If you need a friend add me
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I changed our plate sizes and went to bowls as well even before we started on mfp. back in my childhood our family dinner plate were all smaller than we use now. I arrange the meals in the bowls so they are piled up. My OH is doing it as well. he has 1600 cals a day and I had 1200 for 5 months losing 15lb just moved to 1370 as it seems I need more for BMR than before. I cook everything from scratch. I am MUCH younger than you but if you want to friend me and see how I do it read my profile and if you think it will help ask me to be a friend and I will try. You are losing so you are doing well already!
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Combination of smaller plates, more vegetables, using things like grated carrot, priced cauliflower as bulking agents in mince dishes, I do 50/50 meat and riced cauliflower in Bolognese, chilli etc.

Add spices, herbs etc bump up flavour without loads if salt and fat.

Cook in bulk, freeze in portions, use the recipe function on here to build your dish as you go then record the portions as you bag it for the freezer.

Pasta looks more on the plate than rice. the curly pastas look like more on the plate than flat or ribbons.

Dress the plate everything sat on a bed of rocket or topped with fresh herbs looks visually more appealing.

Use the old a'la carte stacking trick. A pile looks more than a thin spread.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I eat nutrient dense foods. and vegitibles.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Finding it so hard to stick to portion sizes.
    Same here. But like some of the others have suggested, using a small plate or bowl helps visually. :smile:
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    One of the big eye openers to me was how big my portion sizes used to be! Now I find that I can manage the smaller one and still feel full - but it did take a bit of getting used to! And I have lost my weight on 1600 calories a day (although I probably have a lot more than you to lose!) - my husband is on 1200 and he struggles if he doesnt go out for his daily bike ride to earn back some calories. Perhaps give yourself a little more leeway - only go for a 1lb a week for a while - if it gets too hard rather than give up :)
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Finding it so hard to stick to portion sizes. Weighing stuff out so that's a correct portion size, but it's so little when it's in the bowl or on the plate. What's your trick? Do you eat out of, or on kids sized bowls and plates??

Do you exercise regularly at all? If I've had a day of no exercise I find it difficult to eat 1200 cals but lots of exercise means I can eat quite a bit more than the 1200 cals on an average day and I find I'm not hungry at all then. Feel free to add me if you are looking for more MFP friends :)
  • IronSmasher
    Options

Do you exercise regularly at all? If I've had a day of no exercise I find it difficult to eat 1200 cals but lots of exercise means I can eat quite a bit more than the 1200 cals on an average day and I find I'm not hungry at all then. Feel free to add me if you are looking for more MFP friends :)

Wouldn't it be easier to increase your calorie goal?
  • BikerGran
    BikerGran Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Only if you want your fat bits to turn into saggy bits! :wink: Just a brisk walk helps, you'd be surprised. I've just started and I'm 65 and have arthritis and a wonky leg so I do a slow walk but it's still exercise.

What I have a real problem with is this quantity of "1 cup". I suppose it's an american measure - anyone know what it means in English?

Oh and where do I find the recipe thingy to work out the calories in home-made dished?
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    it's really hard at first, but then a couple of things happen - you get used to the portion sizes when you're cooking and also your stomach does too.

You'll go over and also get hungry at first, but then it becomes the norm so stick with it.

On a side note, well done for getting anywhere near 1200 a day, I'm at 1800 and find that hard enough!!
  • pangy1958
    pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I use a smaller plate, and have different coloured vegatables in a meal. We were always told to make a meal colourful so more appertising. I eat slowly and put the knife and fork down to chew. Eating slowly and doing this seems to fill me up.
  • shanitomorrow
    shanitomorrow Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Conversion tables for cup measurements: http://www.cooks.com/rec/convert/
  • BikerGran
    BikerGran Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that Shanitomorrow - but that's an american conversion as it says it's equivalent to 8 fluid ounces or half a pint - in british measurement, half a pint is 10 fluid ounces!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Oh and where do I find the recipe thingy to work out the calories in home-made dished?

In your food diary tab, along the top is a bit marked "recipes" just use that, or you could use "my meals" next to it, which is handy if some of your meals are the same, like a cheese omelette & salad for instance
  • IronSmasher
    Options

Only if you want your fat bits to turn into saggy bits! :wink: Just a brisk walk helps, you'd be surprised. I've just started and I'm 65 and have arthritis and a wonky leg so I do a slow walk but it's still exercise.

What I have a real problem with is this quantity of "1 cup". I suppose it's an american measure - anyone know what it means in English?

Undereating by large amounts is exactly what it takes to turn fat bits into saggy bits as you put it.