My doctors are useless - A little help?

xSakura
xSakura Posts: 288 Member
Went to my doctors today to get my blood test results, just to find out this doctor knows nothing about Thyroids. Yes, she actually said she knows nothing about Thyroids.. :noway: She's referred me to another doctor, I'm now booked in for next Wednesday.. What she DID tell me was, that she thinks my thyroid levels were high.. But didn't mention the numbers. I was told I was Hypo.

This is only my 2nd blood test since I started medication in late October, so I'm still a little unsure about everything. I've been doing some thorough research today, trying to figure out if I'm hypo or hyper. I've noted all of my signs and symptoms, and Hashimotos keeps popping up. (Which may explain the low and high results I've had back?)

I'm just a little lost and confused.. I honestly don't know where to turn or who to talk to because no one seems to know anything about it. Any suggestions on what I should do, or what I should ask for my appointment next Wednesday?

(Let me know if you want me to list the symptoms, if that would help)

Replies

• Have you seen the website stop the thyroid madness? They have a lot of great info on there. Is your doctor reffering you to an endocrinologist?

What are the symptoms you are having?
  • xSakura
    I've been looking at that one yea :smile: I'm not sure if it's an endocrinologist, but apparently this doctor knows more about it than the one I had today. If it's not I'll ask for one, so I know I'm getting answers then.

Symptoms are:
    Persistent sore throat
    Weight gain
    Light headed / dizziness
    Slight memory loss
    Fatigue / Muscle fatigue
    Cold hands & Feet
    Lack of motivation
    Palpitations
    Hair loss
    Terrible anxiety

There's probably one or two I haven't listed, but those are the main ones.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Well first of all, while this may seem backwards, when you're hypo your numbers ARE high.
  • xSakura
    I thought so..
    That again, is my doctor giving me false information. Thanks for the heads up.
  • I still had symptoms even after my numbers were in the normal range. Sometimes it can be an adrenal issue, or your T3 may be out of range.I'd ask them to test you for that. Also you may have vitamin deficiency. I started taking extra vitamin D3 along with my multi, selenium, and krill oil. I also use coconut oil and started going gluten free and have felt much better. The weight is still slow at coming off though.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Yes, there's a lot more to it than TSH levels. Sometimes they don't tell the story AT ALL. Hopefully the next doc will be able to help you and do the correct testing.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    TSH is actually a pituitary gland hormone, not a thyroid hormone. The hormones you should be concerned with from your thyroid are your T3 and T4. When you're hypo the TSH is high and the T3/T4 are low; when you're hyper the TSH is low and the T3/T4 are high - they have an inverse relationship. So when your doctor says your levels are "high" she was actually talking about your TSH.

It's actually great that she referred you on - most doctors don't know anything about thyroids, and it's great that she was willing to admit it and hopefully get you to someone who DOES know. Many doctors will base diagnosis and meds on just TSH, which is absolutely incorrect. That's why you'll hear a lot of people saying their numbers are "high" when they are actually hypo (these people are generally being treated by doctors who shouldn't be treating thyroids).

Symptoms are tough because there's actually a lot of overlap between hypo and hyper, including hair loss, sleep issues, weight gain (yup, even with hyper), "brain fog", memory loss, etc.

The one that makes me think you're hypo is the cold hands/feet along with all the others; that's pretty classic hypothyroid.

When you see the new doctor be sure to ask them to test, at minimum, your TSH, free T3, and free T4. I would also ask for testing on Hashi's antibodies (TPO test). If your insurance covers it I'd also ask to have your Vit D, iron, ferritin, selenium, iodine, and Vit B12 tested (listed in order of priority).
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    I still had symptoms even after my numbers were in the normal range. Sometimes it can be an adrenal issue, or your T3 may be out of range.I'd ask them to test you for that. Also you may have vitamin deficiency. I started taking extra vitamin D3 along with my multi, selenium, and krill oil. I also use coconut oil and started going gluten free and have felt much better. The weight is still slow at coming off though.

You might want to think about cutting back total carbs (to 100-200 grams max) and cutting out sugar entirely. Several research docs have discovered that when you cut back carbs and eliminate foods with added sugars, that thyroid function improves. There's a lot of sophisticated bio-chemistry that's involved if you are interested.

I just completed a fast from fructose (that's the part of sugar/sucrose that appears to be the problem--sucrose is 50% fructose) and I couldn't BELIEVE the increase in energy. I just had my first bit of fructose tonight--cooked carrots with my fish for dinner and a half grapefruit for dessert. I'm pretty tired and sleepy now but it could just be because today was my heavy workout day. :smile: I should say that I'm still going to limit my fructose to 25 grams per day. Grapefruit is a low fructose fruit and carrots are not very high in fructose either. A small Valencia orange has slightly more than 2 grams of fructose. A 12-oz. can of orange soda has about 26 grams of fructose (in a total of 44 grams of sugar). I won't be drinking any soda any time soon. :tongue:
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    I assume you have been referred to an endocrinologist. If so, that is the best place for you. Based on your symptoms, it almost sounds like you are all over the place on your hormones. Some of your symptoms are hypo (low levels) and hyper (high levels). You probably need an adjustment on your medication. There is a lot of information out there about the condition. I also suggest reading up on Armour Thyriod. It's a natural form of the hormones and many people do much better on it than the synthetic ones.
  • islandmonkey
    I assume you have been referred to an endocrinologist. If so, that is the best place for you. Based on your symptoms, it almost sounds like you are all over the place on your hormones. Some of your symptoms are hypo (low levels) and hyper (high levels). You probably need an adjustment on your medication. There is a lot of information out there about the condition. I also suggest reading up on Armour Thyriod. It's a natural form of the hormones and many people do much better on it than the synthetic ones.

I would tend to disagree that an endo is the best place to start. Endo's often focus just on diabetes and very rarely are up to speed on thyroid management. Better to find a good doctor (GP, NP, endo, whoever) who will focus on the free T3 and free T4 results.

Symptoms: I see all of these as very hypo symptoms. Again, there can be a lot of overlap in the symtoms which I don't think it information readily available. Usually there's an assumption that one symptom is for hypo and another is for hyper, but that hasn't been my personal experience or the experience of many others. Heart palps in particular are strongly associated with both hypo and hyper.

Meds: Would fully agree that looking at Armour or Nature Thyroid is a good bet. There's an assumption in the medical field that synthetic T4 (like Synthroid or Levothyroxine) is best, but the natural thyroid meds contain both T3 and T4, and are more readily processed by your body.
  • SanteMulberry
    "Symptoms: I see all of these as very hypo symptoms. Again, there can be a lot of overlap in the symtoms which I don't think it information readily available. Usually there's an assumption that one symptom is for hypo and another is for hyper, but that hasn't been my personal experience or the experience of many others. Heart palps in particular are strongly associated with both hypo and hyper. "

I would agree with this--I've had heart palpitations when I've been both hypo and hyperthyroid.
  • I still had symptoms even after my numbers were in the normal range. Sometimes it can be an adrenal issue, or your T3 may be out of range.I'd ask them to test you for that. Also you may have vitamin deficiency. I started taking extra vitamin D3 along with my multi, selenium, and krill oil. I also use coconut oil and started going gluten free and have felt much better. The weight is still slow at coming off though.

You might want to think about cutting back total carbs (to 100-200 grams max) and cutting out sugar entirely. Several research docs have discovered that when you cut back carbs and eliminate foods with added sugars, that thyroid function improves. There's a lot of sophisticated bio-chemistry that's involved if you are interested.

I just completed a fast from fructose (that's the part of sugar/sucrose that appears to be the problem--sucrose is 50% fructose) and I couldn't BELIEVE the increase in energy. I just had my first bit of fructose tonight--cooked carrots with my fish for dinner and a half grapefruit for dessert. I'm pretty tired and sleepy now but it could just be because today was my heavy workout day. :smile: I should say that I'm still going to limit my fructose to 25 grams per day. Grapefruit is a low fructose fruit and carrots are not very high in fructose either. A small Valencia orange has slightly more than 2 grams of fructose. A 12-oz. can of orange soda has about 26 grams of fructose (in a total of 44 grams of sugar). I won't be drinking any soda any time soon. :tongue:

I think you are right about that! As it is right now, the only sugar I'm adding is to my morning coffee. I'm having a hard time to give that up. And the gluten free thing has really made me eat a lot cleaner than I did before. I feel pretty darn good!
  • SanteMulberry
    I still had symptoms even after my numbers were in the normal range. Sometimes it can be an adrenal issue, or your T3 may be out of range.I'd ask them to test you for that. Also you may have vitamin deficiency. I started taking extra vitamin D3 along with my multi, selenium, and krill oil. I also use coconut oil and started going gluten free and have felt much better. The weight is still slow at coming off though.

I think you are right about that! As it is right now, the only sugar I'm adding is to my morning coffee. I'm having a hard time to give that up. And the gluten free thing has really made me eat a lot cleaner than I did before. I feel pretty darn good!

You could try xylitol. It is metabolically neutral. But it is pricey. The little bit that you put in your coffee (my husband uses it for that purpose) shouldn't cost very much. Just don't eat too much xylitol at one time---it has been known to cause diarrhea in large amounts.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    My endo says the sugar is a bit blown up as being responsible for reduced thyroid function and that reducing carbs to under 180g (so close to what everyone's been saying) is optimum for weight maintenance or loss when dealing with thyroid issues, and he's always on the top 10 endo list in the country (Sorry ladies, he's not taking new patients! On his way to retirement, that butter!).

But yeah, alwaysalwaysalways work with an endocronologist if you can. It blows my mind that people go through years of suffering because they let their GP treat a highly specific problem (you wouldn't let your primary diagnose cancer or due surgery... why would you let them treat the most important part of your metabolism!).
  • Going low carb will build reverse T3 and you don't want that.
  • islandmonkey
    Going low carb will build reverse T3 and you don't want that.

Can you quote some sources on this? That doesn't make any sense to me, as RT3 is generally driven by high or low cortisol, high FT4, etc.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Going low carb will build reverse T3 and you don't want that.

Can you quote some sources on this? That doesn't make any sense to me, as RT3 is generally driven by high or low cortisol, high FT4, etc.

Yeah, and I've had my share of endos and naturopaths for BOTH cortisol and thyroid issues and this has never come up. I can't find a single actual study on this on Google, either, but I've found plenty of pretty unprofessional blogs on it... hmmm.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    When you all say low carb ... Do you mean high GI carbs? Or do you mean we should cut all carbs? Because I've been having my daily low GI carbs and I feel fine and losing weight in a fairly normal rate (considering I'm hypo and close to my goal weight, which means losing slower than any normal person)
  • dkschrader
    dkschrader Posts: 32 Member
    Along with everyone else's comments, I always get a copy of my lab results... don't be afraid to ask for it. I get a copy, so that I can keep track of what the numbers where, and how I felt. Just being an informed patient! Due to the number of docs we all have been to for this one issue, you have to be your own advocate.
    Good luck
  • islandmonkey
    Along with everyone else's comments, I always get a copy of my lab results... don't be afraid to ask for it. I get a copy, so that I can keep track of what the numbers where, and how I felt. Just being an informed patient! Due to the number of docs we all have been to for this one issue, you have to be your own advocate.
    Good luck

This must be something odd in the US? I'm in Canada and we're entitled to everything in our file through the Freedom of Information Act. I can't imagine not asking for copies! :)